Lakka Switch (L4T) update introduces new cores and QoL improvements

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jul 28, 2019.

1. rommy667

rommy667 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2008
    Down the road around the corner
  2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    I'm not sure that Android is in a state to compare. I mean, this is a homebrew solution that I, in my personal "Homebrew Completeness Scale" that I just named this moment, isn't really as complete as most of the stuff made for Horizon or even running plain 'ole Ubuntu. You can't dock (yet), and wireless controllers don't work (yet). But it's received more development and updates than Android for Switch has at this point. Doesn't mean anything about the performance of the two solutions, (I'm itching to try things out with this update real soon and maybe looking at Android if I'm desperately curious, new configurations and all that take time that is shorter than usual for yours truly because he has to get up earlier tomorrow) but if you were to ask me which of the two I think have the most potential, it would be Android. It's just not a good point of comparison right now like trying to compare an ODroid XU4 to a full, official build of RetroPie on the RPi4 as opposed to some guy tinkering around and getting things like reicast going.

As for Dolphin, I'm not saying that it's impossible that we won't get it running up to some extent. I ran it on Ubuntu, and I was able to play through the arcade mode with Maxi no problem at 45-50 FPS when the chips were OC'ed. It's impressive that the Switch can even do that, but we're talking about running an emulator that, even on a fully powered Nvidia Shield TV that doesn't have a battery for portability to worry about, can be a struggle with some games to run. If you want something of a more practical ceiling where performance is concerned, I'd say Reicast or Flycast on RetroArch is more realistic of a goal to achieve.

Besides, outside of a few earlier entries of some game franchises like Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin and the Metroid Prime Trilogy (which I think is money being left on the table for Nintendo in terms of ports given what the Switch is capable of in terms of control options), I don't see myself wanting to play Melee over Ultimate unless I'm feeling really nostalgic and/or want to poke fun at FOX VS. FOX! FINAL DESTINATION! 3 STOCKS! NO ITEMS! NO HAZARDS! AND A COMPETITIVE COMMUNITY THAT'S NOT EXACTLY THE BEST COMPARED TO THE FGC FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD, AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING!

weatMod likes this.
  3. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    if you were to ask me which of the two I think have the most potential

yup that is pretty much what i was asking

yeah i would just like to have WW and sunshine running on it for nostalgia

4. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    WW and Sunshine both run full speed in lakka with 1700 overclock. WW has slowdowns in the battle with gannon and maybe 1 other time throughout otherwise perfect. As an emulation device I seriously doubt android will outperform ubuntu or lakka.

weatMod and Budsixz like this.
  5. username23bob

username23bob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2009
    United States

i never got ubuntu running on my switch, but dolphin runs pretty well for me (tested wind waker, mario kart, sonic adventure 2 - pretty slow). i saw someone say that bluetooth controllers don’t work but i was playing wind walker with my pro controller

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

how to overclock? i already flashed magisk, tho idk if that’s what’s needed.

6. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Lakka doesnt need anything to be flashed, you download 2 files from the link, drop them onto your sd, run with hekate. The overclock options are literally in the first dropdown menu. GPU/CPU overclock you cannot miss them.

Budsixz likes this.
  7. username23bob

username23bob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    sorry, i meant how do you over clock on android.

8. momin

momin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2008
    What about Gamecube?

9. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Love it.

10. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Any updates on the ps2 emulator? Nothing even loads for me (still...)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted