Lakka 3.1 released, enables Vulkan renderer for Dolphin and PPSSPP on Pi 4 and Switch

thumb.png

There's a new version of Lakka in town; the team has just released a 3.1 update, bringing a handful of new features, fixes, and improvements to Lakka. As expected, it also includes the latest version of RetroArch right now--1.9.4--and all the features that come with that build. In addition, the port of Lakka to the Odroid XU3 and XU4 mini-computer is now fully functional, with further updates on the way to help optimize it for that platform. 3.1 also enables the Vulkan renderer for Dolphin and PPSSPP emulators, letting those on the Nintendo Switch and Pi 4 experience performance improvements. Switch users will benefit from dock support, but make sure you don't put your system into sleep mode before docking it, otherwise it'll crash. The full changelog is available on the official website, along with the Lakka 3.1 update.

Following the release schedule of RetroArch we bring you updated version of Lakka, so you don’t stay behind.

As usual the release includes the latest RetroArch version at the time, which is currently 1.9.4, as well as updates to all the supported cores to the most recent versions. You can update your existing 3.0 installation using the built-in updater (except on Nintendo Switch; you have to update manually, but gavin_darkglider is working hard to implement updates for Lakka on your console). If you are using older (2.3.x) release, clean installation is recommended.

Noteworthy changes since version 3.0:

• RetroArch updated to 1.9.4
    • Prevent unnecessary extraction to disk of compressed content files
    • Brightness restoration
    • Updated translations from Crowdin
  • Cores updated to their most recent versions
  • Added battery stats in RetroArch (for devices that have sysfs node for system battery)
  • Fixed safe shutdown on GPICase
  • Fixed audio issues on Raspberry Pi 4
  • Fixed FMV issues with PPSSPP core
  • Fixed backlight brightness
  • Odroid XU3/4 port is now fully functional and will be optimized in future releases
  • Mesa updated to 21.1.1
  • VULKAN enabled in Dolphin and PPSSPP (Raspberry Pi 4, Generic 64 bit, Nintendo Switch)
  • Improvements to the Nintendo Switch port
    • Fixed Vulkan renderer
    • Fixed Joycon mappings
    • Fixed mounts
    • Added dock support (note: the kernel will crash/lock-up if the console is put into sleep before placed into dock)
  • Added some cores that were not included in previous version
    • beetle-saturn
    • bsnes2014
    • snes9x2002
    • snes9x2005
    • snes9x2005_plus
You can download the latest release from Lakka download page. If you want to follow the development of Lakka more closely, you can download latest Lakka nightly builds.

Many thanks to all the contributors, as well as to the whole community for your long-lasting support. We are grateful to all testers of the nighly builds for finding bugs and testing our attempts to fix them. We would not be able to support so many devices if there wasn’t you. Your feedback is always appreciated.

If you want to show your support for further development of the Libretro projects and ecosystem, you can learn more here.

Happy retro-gaming!

:arrow: Source

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always liked the concept of Lakka. I wish SteamOS wasn't abandoned (I think). Trying to create a user friendly DIY "console" has been a pain in the ass in my experience.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I always liked the concept of Lakka. I wish SteamOS wasn't abandoned (I think). Trying to create a user friendly DIY "console" has been a pain in the ass in my experience.
I mean SteamOS is literally just barebones Linux running Steam in big picture mode, you can simply install Steam, set it to start at launch and set it to launch in big picture by default and have exactly the same experience except on OS's that are actually updated.

As for the news, curious to see how much improvement the Pi 4 sees, will have to toss that on one of my Pi 4s and find out.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean SteamOS is literally just barebones Linux running Steam in big picture mode, you can simply install Steam, set it to start at launch and set it to launch in big picture by default and have exactly the same experience except on OS's that are actually updated.
I was talking in more of terms of just installing the OS and then from there, there is pretty much no more set up. Just plug and play. Retroarchs/Lakkas interface is too confusing for most people. Steam Big Picture is pretty good but there is a lot of polish and features that it needs to be complete

Sure, I’m more than enough technically savvy to set it up or fix a problem if something breaks but what if I want to just let someone else use it? Most solutions are not user friendly

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm confused with Lakka I heard you can't play it on docked mode only handheld. Is it powerful to play gamecube games really good or is it lag just trying to debate is it even worth my time getting it.

Bl4aze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's a new version of Lakka in town; the team has just released a 3.1 update, bringing a handful of new features, fixes, and improvements to Lakka. As expected, it also includes the latest version of RetroArch right now--1.9.4--and all the features that come with that build. In addition, the port of Lakka to the Odroid XU3 and XU4 mini-computer is now fully functional, with further updates on the way to help optimize it for that platform. 3.1 also enables the Vulkan renderer for Dolphin and PPSSPP emulators, letting those on the Nintendo Switch and Pi 4 experience performance improvements. Switch users will benefit from dock support, but make sure you don't put your system into sleep mode before docking it, otherwise it'll crash. The full changelog is available on the official website, along with the Lakka 3.1 update.

:arrow: Source

Finally we got our persona 3 portable port

Reactions: bubolechka

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I spent some time with it and android on the switch, seeing if I could get Fortune Street to run full speed in Dolphin. Couldn't work up a combination of hacks and settings to ultimately get there without touching the unstable overclock options in Lakka (and still not quite there).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No love from raspberry 3 b in their changelog on lakka 3.1? :cry:
The Pi 3's GPU unfortunately can't support all Vulkan instructions, so while there's technically a Vulkan-"ish" driver for older Pi's including the Pi 3, it's not something you can expect anyone to really bother using for high end stuff like this vs a Pi 4 which has full support for Vulkan 1.0 features and thus isn't going to be limited.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple