Lakka 2.3 released, features Raspberry Pi 4 support and RetroArch 1.7.8

thumb.png

Lakka has received an update, bringing version 2.3 to those who have been waiting for a new release after a year-long hiatus. Version 2.3 adds some major upgrades to the Linux-based RetroArch program, such as new platform support, core updates, and the latest version of RetroArch, 1.7.8. Lakka 2.3 notably offers support for the Raspberry Pi 4, allowing users to install the latest version via NOOBS. Onscreen notifications have also gotten a revamp, adding more visual flair, letting you see earned achievements, screenshots that are being saved, your current framerate, and more. There are a multitude of changes made to Lakka 2.3, with the full feature-filled changelog listed below. If you're curious about the changes made in RetroArch 1.7.8, you can get yourself up to date by reading the update thread here.

• RetroArch 1.7.8 (full RetroArch changelog can be found here)
    • Playlist-based thumbnail downloader, on-demand thumbnail downloads
    • AI Project (Real-time games translation)
    • Disc Project
    • XMB Improvements
    • Improved onscreen notifications
    • Shader Usability Changes
    • Added an easter egg
  • New platforms and accessories
    • New platform: Raspberry Pi 4
    • New Raspberry Pi accessory: GPICase
    • New Raspberry Pi accessory: Game HAT
      • The Game HAT driver can be enabled manually from any existing Raspberry Pi Lakka installation by following the instructions here
    • New platform: ROCKPro64
    • New plaform: Vulkan-only Nvidia computers
      • This variant of the Generic platform only supports Vulkan on computers with Nvidia-powered GPUs. While it runs some cores better (such as Dolphin), it also has a lot of incompatibles, removed cores
      • You can find a link to the Vulkan-only Nvidia image on the 64-bit Generic download page of the website
      • Thanks to Albert Malina for the port!
  • New cores (please note that not all cores are available on all platforms)
    • Play!
      • This new PS2 emulator is very experimental and doesn’t run all games, don’t expect it to run properly on your Lakka box yet
      • You can find a list of all playable games on the Play-Compatibility repository here
    • Final Burn Neo
      • Here are the DAT files used in the Final Burn Neo version used in Lakka 2.3
    • OpenLara
      • The core has been added to all platforms
    • Mupen64Plus-Next
    • Bsnes HD
    • Flycast
    • Yaba Sanshiro
    • Kronos
    • mame2010
    • TIC-80
    • Theodore
    • mesen-s
    • Gearsystem
    • Daphne
  • Cores changes
    • Reicast is now Flycast
    • Final Burn Alpha is now Final Burn Neo
    • stella is now stella2014
  • Miscellaneous
    • PPSSPP assets are now included in the system
      • Please reset your RetroArch config for this change to take effect
    • New glcore video driver with slang shaders support
    • Menu rendering is now framerate independent - animations are now smoother on 120FPS configurations
  • Bug fixes
    • Shutting down no longer hangs the system
    • Overlay directory in storage partition now works properly

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

I've always preferred emulators focused on a particular consoles or just a few, but recently I've been using Medfeden recently and it's been great! So I think I might get this thing and try out the emulator.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My two cents on the Pi 4 - If you already have a 3B or 3B+ stick with it for now. You'll most likely have to buy a new power supply as you currently cannot use a micro to usb C adaptor as they didnt follow the USB C standard, you'll also need to an adapter for your HDMI. Cooling even at stock, you'll at best ( depending on use ) need basic heatsink and fan, if you are considering clocking ( you can push it to around 2Ghz ) you are going to need some serious cooling I would recommend this one or a basic water cooling loop .

For newbies, I'd stick with the 3B+ in all honesty, if you have your heart set on that little bit extra you get with a Pi 4, get an ODROID UX4. In the end you will get something that's slightly better than the Pi for about the same price when you factor in all the extras - unless you really really need the dual display feature.

Last edited by Uiaad,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Cooling even at stock, you'll at best ( depending on use ) need basic heatsink and fan, if you are considering clocking ( you can push it to around 2Ghz ) you are going to need some serious cooling I would recommend this one or a basic water cooling loop .
:rofl2:

Err, no, that's absolute overkill for the Pi 4, even OC'd and overvolted to all hell. Not even remotely needs that much cooling, you can use a bog standard heatsink and tiny little fan and you'll be more than fine when OC'd, and a dinky heatsink is just fine for stock speeds.

This dinky little case+fan combo with a dinky little heatsink that comes with it is what keeps my Pi 4 more than cool enough when it's OC'd to 2ghz, never seen the Temps hit over 55c when I hit it real hard with test stuff.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users