Lags with InGame Menu and New Game Loads

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Fun_Zephyr, Feb 28, 2009.

Feb 28, 2009
  1. Fun_Zephyr
    OP

Member Fun_Zephyr GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Sometimes people have memory cards that just load games slow or have extremely slow in game menu responses - genrally with 4Gb cards.

I have come across this problem with several brands of cards:

Kingston, Transcend, A-Data and I forget the other brand. Some people with these brands work great and others do not. What I have noticed is it comes down to the actual size of the 4Gb cards - yes, sounds weird but has proven to be the case EVERY time.

My example is as follows:

I purchased 13 CycloDS's and 13 Transcend memory cards. 12 out of 13 when formatted with PanasonicSD Formatter state they are 3.74Gb in size and they work a treat in ALL the CycloDS's.

1 out of 13 when formatted with PanasonicSD Formatter states it is 3.82Gb in size and it works in the CycloDS HOWEVER it has very bad response times.

Load New Super Mario Bros for first time on 3.74Gb and it takes about 8secs and in game menu comes up in about 1sec

Load New Super Mario Bros for first time on 3.82Gb and it can take up to 40secs to load and in game menu comes up anywhere between 1secs - 10secs generally about 5secs

This load times and speeds are exactly what I experienced with the Kingston 4Gb cards (never noticed the size back then but have since checked and they also get seen as 1.82Gb).

I am unsre why the 1 states 3.82Gb and another 3.74Gb for the same brand and size cards but from my tests 3.82Gb does not responsd in the same manner as you can see above.

I have since purchased several other CycloDS's and Transcend cards and in this batch 4 out of 5 formatted as 3.82Gb and the other 3.74. The 3.74 worked flawlessly but the other 4 had the exact same lag.

This lag happens with any brand I have come across that has a 4Gb card showing as 3.82Gb. I have seen 3.73Gb and 3.74Gb and both have worked fine.

I am currently using another brand EagleTec Class 6. I have not yet come across a 4Gb card that has read more than 3.74Gb. (I have purchased about 20+ of these. Also, their 8Gb cards work a treat in the CycloDS.

Hope it helps in someon in some way [​IMG]

Zephyr

P.s. The 3.82Gb cards have been tested in other cards with no delay in load times etc so it definitely is not a faulty memory card

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I've had issues with the same issues since I went from a Transcend 8gig Class 4 to a Transcend 8gig Class 6.

The Class 4 would run everything fine, but Castlevania PoR would randomly lock-up. The Class 6 runs PoR well, but the ingame menu seems flaky at best and I've even encountered a game that won't run on the Class 6......Ultimate Mortal Kombat. It runs fine on the Class 4.

The main difference between the Class 4 and 6 is response time. The Class 4 is 1.6ms and the Class 6 is 0.8ms.

I'm thinking that somehow the response time in the Class 6 is outpacing the Cyclo and that's causing the problems.

3. blanco613

Member blanco613 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    try buying a new mirco sd card or maybe just formatting it cuz its definelty the sd card thats the problem

4. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    its a problem with the cyclo ds.
    im using a-data 4gb class 6 which takes much longer to show up the cyclo in-game menu (real time save etc.) than a no name class 2 card.

greets

5. Fun_Zephyr
    OP

Australia
    I do not believe it is a class 6 / class 4 issue. I use only Class 6 (flawless use in mine and everyone else I have purchased for and that would be about 30+ poeple) and I have only ever had an issue when the 4Gb card is read as a 3.82Gb instead of 3.74Gb. 100% of the time when Panasonic Micro SD Formatter has detected the card as 3.82 I have had poor load times AND poor in game menu response times - but the games seem to run fine. This even happened with a Kingston Class 4 x 2 of them.

The MicroSD cards (3.82Gb) work perfectly in other Flash Carts just not the CycloDS and the ones formatted as 3.74Gb work perfectly in the CycloDS and other flash carts. This alone supports the fact that it is only the CycloDS that has an issue with 4gb Cards that are detected to be 3.82Gb.

Rayder - what size does Panasonic SD Formatter detect your 8Gb card as? My EagleTec 8Gb Class 6 is detceted as: 7.45Gb.

6. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    i didnt say its a class 6/4 problem, its a problem with the cyclo ds.
    regarding the class 6 a-data especially, see their forum, its a well known problem with this card, which is fine otherwise as its a really good and fast card otherwise.

7. auREAX

Member auREAX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My Panasonic SDFormatter states the card is 3.83GB,
    but it loads all roms perfectly fast, also for the first time.
    The ingame menu, howeer, loads pretty slow, mostly around 3-5 seconds.

Just to let you guys know. [​IMG]

EDIT: It's a Transcend BTW.

8. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It sees it as a 7.51gig card, but when formatted, it will be 7.5 to 7.49 depending on the cluster size I try to set.

I've found that the Class 6 performs better if I just use a default Windows cluster size format (4k or 4096 bytes). It doesn't eliminate all problems, but most melt away. The Panasonic formatter will always set the cluster size to 32k. That's fine for the Class 4, but my Class 6 doesn't like it and I'll start having more issues with accessing the ingame menu.

Also just realized that I haven't updated to the latest beta FW, not that I expect that to make much difference with this particular problem.

9. Fun_Zephyr
    OP

Australia
    @g.crow - sorry for the bad formatting - the class comments were in relation to what Rayder said about the Class 6 - not your comments.

Anyway - this thread was not to report an issue but to state my findings to let people know my experiences so far and maybe it might have helped in some sort of way as someone might have knwon a solution. As Rayder pointed out below formatting with a different cluster size seems to help him out.

@auREAX - After my first load of a game (meaning the .sav has been created - the game always loads immediately for me - but as you said the ingame menu still lags. It was only when I was starting a game for the very first time that I got a lag - and the lag was also random - bu generally it took a long time [​IMG]

10. auREAX

Member auREAX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, I had some lag with the very first game I put on my Cyclo, but after that it loaded all games perfectly fast, even when loading it for the first time.

I, however, still have problems with the InGame menu... but only on certain games... [​IMG]

11. cearp

Member cearp the ticket master

Tuvalu
    so i just bought a 8gb sandisk ultra mobile card.
    if it is 'the wrong size' is there a way to fix it to normal size, the size which plays fast?
    should i format it with the panasoninc formatter as soon as i get it, or just leave it as it came in the post?
    thanks!

12. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Try it first. If it's slow, format it.

13. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    edit : never mind im a noob:P