(lack of) Localisation - worst offenders.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You want bad localizations I recommend you play some of the few US versions of Turbo CD games.

Last Alert: Dreadful dialogue and voice acting that's absolutely so bad it's good, the game itself is fun to play though, the OP for is so stereotypical it's in a class of it's own.

Valis II: Like Last Alert, very cheesy voice acting and dialogue, not as bad as Last Alert, still a decent game.

Cotton Fantastic Night Dreams: The Japanese version had the Story in English and several other languages, the extremely rare US version does not have the story dialogue at all.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I found this video while I was on my quest for cool Sega Saturn games I could download and burn "acquire" and... well... :D

I've played "Battle Arena: Toshinden" games earlier, but never this one. What can I say? The dialogues are 11/10. :tpi:

Editor's Note: They should totally re-release it as "Battle Arena: Scottishinden" on current generation systems - this thing features the best accents to ever be recorded on-disc. :rofl:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Proof that shitty localizations aren't always a bad thing.
All your base are belong to us?

I love the games, but the Ace Attorney games got really fucked when they brought them over because they did the same shit 4Kids did.
The main thing that bothers me about the Phoenix Wright translation is the niggling feeling that all the testimonies have a much better/clearer wording in the Japanese original. :ph34r:

Other than that (and a few (dozen) typos (per case)) I don't mind the localization.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me while I use this thread to vent my more recent frustrations with square Enix. For some reason they did fine last generation localizing stuff. 6 dragon quest games and 7 or so final fantasies for the ds alone, but this generation, 0. Not a whisper of localization for terry's wonderland, Colbi and tara's adventure, dqx, or dq7. Are they the worst? No probably not. But in my eyes they are.

Reactions: Hyro-Sama

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
All your base are belong to us?

The main thing that bothers me about the Phoenix Wright translation is the niggling feeling that all the testimonies have a much better/clearer wording in the Japanese original. :ph34r:

Other than that (and a few (dozen) typos (per case)) I don't mind the localization.

I'm not saying they were bad, I just hate that they changed them over to America instead of Japan.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm not saying they were bad, I just hate that they changed them over to America instead of Japan.
The problem with games like that is, once you start localizing, it's very hard to stop. Once they changed all the names to reflect the punny nature of the originals, having it still all take place in Japan would seem even weirder.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's the difference between translating (keeping the meaning, words and names) and localizing (re-adapting everything/the story to feel like it's made and take place locally).
I prefer translation over localization, users are not stupid and can understand that a game is primarily based on another country's universe. But I guess not everyone are like us. Some players don't want to think that things can be different, different terms, places, jokes, etc.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I love the games, but the Ace Attorney games got really fucked when they brought them over because they did the same shit 4Kids did. They took out most of the Japanese references, changed the game's location from Japan to America, which caused more confusion with the Japanese styled building pop culture and other things they did leave in there, and countless other problems they caused in the American adaptation of the games.

Well, yeah, but most localizations tend to adapt for other cultures. The writing in Ace Attorney was still witty, and well composed, even if some references were changed.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, yeah, but most localizations tend to adapt for other cultures. The writing in Ace Attorney was still witty, and well composed, even if some references were changed.

As I said, my only grump was the location change because there are a lot of Japanese themes and styles in the games as well other bit of Japanese culture. If they did something like make it take place in Little Tokyo, then it could get away with those issues.
Personally I love the games to death, I've played beat, and replayed them countless times, I just find that one change to be a little off-putting.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this translation are sick.jpg

The SNES FF2(4) had a pretty bad translation too, but at least that one got retranslated several times. FF7 is as mangled as it's ever been.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is sort of a loaded question - first of all, I doubt there are many people here capable of judging between a good or bad localization, because that would require knowledge of the original translation (and knowledge does not include reading a forum post about how the Japanese version was 'sooo much better!').

Second, half of you can't spell the word 'lose' correctly, so I don't know why people are getting bent out of shape over spelling errors all of the sudden.

Third, a company can't be 'bad' about localizing their games, they can only be 'smart' about not wasting money on a product that won't make money overseas (or will require some expensive licensing for something people are just going to pirate anyway). And that really only applies to those companies that handle their own localization. A lot of titles (niche or otherwise) are handled by companies like Atlus USA or XSeed, or in conjunction with a company based in Japan (like 8-4).

Here are a few things I know for sure:
-A lot of anime properties aren't localized because of licensing issues (either rights to voice actors, music, the property itself, or some combination of all three). NamcoBandai and Konami can't really be held responsible for these things, they are just doing business as usual.

-A lot of original scripts suck. It's not just, 'The localization was unfaithful!' or 'The English version doesn't make sense!', it's more likely that the original script was trash, and nobody bothered to pretty it up. Heck, half the time a localization team 'pretties it up', people complain because it doesn't sound natural. So they are damned if they do, damned if they don't...

-I know a lot of people love to pretend they are Japanese experts because they watch a lot of anime, but properly localizing a game like Phoenix Wright is a an act of genius. The number of American consumers that would benefit from having Japanese 'humor' (HAHAHAHA trannys are evil, OMG his name rhymes with goat!!) is so small that it literally doesn't pay to be faithful.

-Sony USA is really, really weird about allowing disc releases of games without English dubbing. The proliferation of digital releases brought about by PSN has mitigated the damage done by this policy, but it's still pretty sad to know that we missed out on some great games because Sony wanted to force small devs to shell out money for crappy voice actors (not to say there aren't great English voice actors, but we all know that English VAs are payed less, especially for video games, and that fact often shows through in the final product).

Given all that, I'd say each major developer is guilty of at least one localization atrocity (that is, not releasing a smash hit, for financial reasons or otherwise)., and sadly it's up to companies like XSeed to make sure we don't miss out on any more.

View attachment 4407

The SNES FF2(4) had a pretty bad translation too, but at least that one got retranslated several times. FF7 is as mangled as it's ever been.

For what it's worth, FFVII's half-assed translation* vaults the game from 'above-average JRPG romp', to 'vague and mysterious gaming classic'. What actually went on in the Honeybee Inn can't possibly compare to what went on in the Honeybee Inn in my head.

*There is an good chance that the original script was garbage. The text for the main story was probably fine in Japanese, but I can totally see some dude getting really lazy with the NPC conversations, which only made it worse when some underpaid translator had to finish 1,000 lines of text in two days without any point of reference. You were be sick also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)