Lab grown vs mined diamonds. Your opinions.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Dec 18, 2016.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So I was having a conversation with some people that work in a jewellery shop, that insure jewellery/mining operations and they were getting excited about various rings under discussion.
    Now owing to having testicles, an abundance of cynicism and far too long considering materials for what tasks they could be used to accomplish (hazard of the trade I guess) I have never considered diamonds and gold to be all that interesting, and that is before I consider the diamond industry and how it is run by a bunch of complete and total arseholes.
    http://freakonomics.com/podcast/dia...best-friend-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

So an offhand comment of mine "I can't want for when the artificial diamond business comes in and destroys that*"... one could feel the temperature in the room drop and the disgust rise. These days it seems I have to work hard to achieve such things so I was glad I can still do that unintentionally/naturally, however it was completely unexpected so it was time for further research.
    Online says not a lot other than companies are rushing to make testing machines to tell with, and it apparently does take machines rather than someone with a loupe. Now as most of the diamond market is mostly the result of advertising (the notion of a diamond ring and its cultural significance with all the words like eternity is very new as these things go) I can see them being worried but I was curious as to the consumer/cultural significance.

*price wise it is cheaper these days to do it artificially than pay retail, however it probably is more lucrative to chase the industrial side of things so that seems to be the main focus.

Short version. Artificial diamonds (actual carbon diamond, no moissanite or cubic zirconia) are as mechanically and optically good as anything you dig out the ground, if not better, probably cheaper than retail (not sure about wholesale, which is significantly less) and may well come with the benefit of not being mined by slaves and sold by a cartel.
    With all that though would you be happy with an artificial diamond for your jewellery or those you are buying it for?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    artificial breaks the light different, so for big cut's you can see the difference in how light travels through the daimont... i'm not so much interested with juwels so i can't say if you'd notice the difference there...

3. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The old techniques maybe, for the newer stuff I was reading up on then their UV fluorescence is different but the visible optics had all the same refractive indices.

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Doesn't matter. Diamonds are intrinsically worthless and quite common.

evandixon, migles, 8BitWonder and 2 others like this.
  5. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Very interesting.

6. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Lol I was gonna say the same thing.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's true I mean the only reason gold has value is because we use it for currency sometimes.

7. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'd prefer artificial over actual, ESPECIALLY if it devalues diamonds mined through forced labor

MichiS97 likes this.
  8. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Leaving aside notions of something is worth what someone else is willing to pay and the general con that is a lot of fashion I do have to say there are some significant industrial uses for gold by virtue of it not reacting with much, especially not oxygen. It makes for fairly nice electrical connectors that don't corrode, in various extreme conditions it makes for a fairly nice bearing surface/lubricant, gold sputtering does make playing with organics and non conductive things in a scanning electron microscope far more easy and by suspending it in glass you can get some desirable practical effects as well as being a decent pigment.
    Dentistry wise it has some decent uses as well, though I don't imagine it has the shiniest future there as there are many things to match or beat it.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Gold is valuable very much in part because of its actual scarcity. If you took the world's supply of pure gold that humans have mined, it would all fit in a single barn. Diamonds only have a high price tag because of an artificial scarcity. In other words, diamonds aren't scarce, but the supply is restricted by those who have them in order to drive up prices.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I have known about the diamond scam for quite some time, but I have also found that it is nearly impossible to convince a woman of it, especially the woman you desire.
    Her lifelong princess-level dream wedding bias will just lead her to believe you are coming up with an elaborate scheme to save money on a potential engagement ring. You will just end up a cheapskate in her eyes.

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  11. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    If me bf would propose to me, he'd prolly get a cheapo plastic ring from a 50 cent turning machine.
    It's the thought that counts really.

Then again, could be cause we're both boys who live in poverty that we don't care about values.

Also, sorry for the semi necro bump.