LA Noire's MotionScan To Be Used In R*s Games, GTA5?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Livin in a box, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    One of the most obvious and impressive features found in Rockstar’s hit title L.A. Noire is the MotionScan face capture technology. But there have been some questions being asked on whether Rockstar would continue to use the technology in future titles.

However Brendan McNamara, Co-founder of Team Bondi who helped develop LA Noire, does believe that Rockstar are considering using the face capture technology again after all:

Yeah, I think they’re looking at it for every game. As much as LA Noire is a huge game, Grand Theft Auto is incredibly huge, so you’ve got all the problems of how big the cast would be and how many lines would you have to record and all that kind of stuff.

The relationship between Team Bondi and Rockstar appears to have gone stale lately, and the developers may have to seek a new publisher for future games. So this does of course put into question how reliable Brendan McNamara’s comments really are. We still hope though that he’s right as the innovative technology made L.A. Noire fairly distinct.[/p]

Source

It is very good technology that they employed in LA Noire and I wouldn't blame Rockstar for wanting to use it at all. It's nice that McNamara mentioned Grand Theft Auto in that quote too; hurry up Rockstar and announce it already!

2. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    What's this MotionScan thing?

3. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    [youtube]q2EG5J05048[/youtube]

I don`t blame Rockstar... The tech is amazing! I`ve played LA Noire and I have never seen facial expressions this good in any game before.

Though I think this might be quite time- and money-consuming but if it makes sense it`s well worth it imo!

4. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    yes don't pull a capcom and pull out due to fear of risk, companies who make great experiences will have a loyal fanbase.

5. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Wow man, looks amazing!! Rockstar should implement it in GTAV

6. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    ...i must say, it does look impressive. but... i've noticed something that detracts from the experience, mainly the eyes. they're perpetually dilated, and you can't quite tell where they're looking, or what they're looking at. and people ALWAYS looks at the eyes. they should've included that in their tech. it's not like it's that hard, it's just texture expanding/contracting. even japanese CGIs never had that problem. at least, i never noticed it then.

the second is their perpetually oily skin. it's just so... shiny. Squeenix's CGIs dropped the shiny texture ages ago, but i guess those were mostly pre-rendered, and LA Noire's is real time. that one's probably more complex, as that involves complex lighting (i think).

so yeah, other than dilated pupils and oily skin, the trailer looks AWESOME. and IMO, the best was the shopkeep character of that guy from Charmed. he's pale, so the oily skin isn't obvious, but on darker characters, the shine is just... somebody wipe their faces please.

7. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    EDIT: sorry for double post, using 3G modem, constantly dropping/reconnecting. pls delete. thanks.

8. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Dont tell me you didnt see it before? lol

Well, like they said GTA is a HUGE game, so the question is how much the would need to record/cast.

GTA feels pretty alive and with that addition it would look really good [​IMG].
    Looking forward to it.

9. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    I think the wiiU would be the best console to release it on as they can use larger and more detailed textures than a 360 and have more memory to play with for AI and graphics. Plus you could have the entire screen for gaming and the whole HUD on the controller including map and weopons and life etc making it a more realistic experience.
    one can only hope.

10. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    Dont forget that the PS4 and the next xbox is not far away either.

11. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Nope, saw it first time. Never bothered purchasing L.A. Noire.

12. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    Good that you didnt purchase L.A Noire.. just pirate it! lol

IMO its pretty repeatative -.-
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

13. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Lolol as much as I love Crime games, I don't like GTA-esque ones, nope. I love crime games like the ones on DS, where you gotta analyze the surroundings, use brain etc to solve a crime, like the game Crime Scene xD.

Don't wanna pirate it either, not interested.

14. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    that means for those who wished to download gta 4 ripped for 7 gb will now get a 10 gb ripped version of gta 5. no wonder they took so long to make the next big title (gta)

15. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    lol...

it sounds like you're saying, "jeez, all you do is solve crimes and chase down bad guys in this game..."
    that's about on par with, "Mario games are so repetitive...all you do is run to the right and jump on bad guys' heads..."

kids these days and their attention spans... [​IMG]