L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

brettwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey buddy, i like your work and it work perfectly. But is there a way to disable the mapping when using dolphin Emu?
Pressing buttons during playing also give the comments for example volume up, down ext.

Never mind I have figure it out.:)
Hi, how did you get this to work? Is there some setting that I may have missed or did you change change the joycon config?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: evil_santa

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi, how did you get this to work? Is there some setting that I may have missed or did you change change the joycon config?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If your using the latest megascript files, by default screenshot capture disables the keyboard config running in the background. Just tap in once your inside an app.

Reactions: piek50

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Small consolation
Hi! I can't get for Hekate to dump my Joy-Con BT data to use in Ubuntu. It does work for one pair of joycons, the first party old ones that drift like crazy, but not for the new third party ones that don't drift. It says the paring failed because the data isn't HOS based even when I've already paired them in my stock sysnand. I wiped my sd card, booted normally into HOS, paired everything and checked that a Nintendo folder had been created, just for Hekate to then say it failed. So my guess is that third party joycons aren't supported, but I'd like to know if someone here can help me. My joycons are the red and blue Binbok model.
Black Bibboks behave the same way. Trying to figure out the firmware update program they have on their web site in hopes my controllers will be dumpable afterwards. Other than this one edge case I love these controllers.

vojut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My friend ran into a problem with Ubuntu. After copying movies from external sd card reader through OTG cable to the desktop, something went wrong - files could not be played. After restart, boot screen started flashing in unusual way and did not get into desktop but started looping between dark and gray screen. This is Switch with multiboot, with Atmosphere, Ubuntu and Android 10/Q. Problem is only with Ubuntu. Do anyone of you encountered something like this? I don't have direct access to this Switch - is there any way to instruct my friend to enable some logging, fallback/safe mode, or maybe somehow "reset" it? He does not have access to computer, so this will need to be done on Switch itself.

Turns out disk was completely full. I thought there was reserved space for system services, but seems not.

vojut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There seems to be an issue with latest Hekate (5.6.2, 5.6.3) or Atmosphere (1.1.1) - if you create partitions for Linux and emuMMC then fusee will launch to sysMMC instead of emu. Works fine with only emuMMC partition or with emu + Linux + Android.

Looks like this is the only case where emuMMC is addressed as RAW2 - in two other cases it's RAW1.

Last edited by vojut,

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There seems to be an issue with latest Hekate (5.6.2, 5.6.3) or Atmosphere (1.1.1) - if you create partitions for Linux and emuMMC then fusee will launch to sysMMC instead of emu. Works fine with only emuMMC partition or with emu + Linux + Android.

Looks like this is the only case where emuMMC is addressed as RAW2 - in two other cases it's RAW1.

If your running all 3, my question is why would you use fusee at all.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having not read the 135-page thread fully, is there a way to get XFCE on this?
To install for a stock XFCE4 experience:
Bash:
sudo apt-get install xfce4
Alternative to get the Xubuntu-branded experience:
Bash:
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

The former command with just XFCE4 should be enough for your use case.
This same concept can be used to get any packaged desktop environment installed.

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What do you mean? Does not matter if I inject it by loader or by selecting `payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin` entry in Hekate.

You dont need fusee payload at all for any.
Hekate has more configs for dual boots & a launch screen, hekate has sigpatches. Just edit you’re hekate ipl.ini so that it has a boot entry for sysnand cfw/emunand or whatever you want to boot.

vojut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You dont need fusee payload at all for any.
Hekate has more configs for dual boots & a launch screen, hekate has sigpatches. Just edit you’re hekate ipl.ini so that it has a boot entry for sysnand cfw/emunand or whatever you want to boot.

Yes, I use Hekate. Setting it up is not the problem. It's not the first time I'm doing this. It worked before without issues. I even tried downgrading and it worked. It even work with emunand alone or with emunand+linux+android. But my target setup is emunand on SD partition and Linux, and it does not work with HOS 13 + Hekate 5.6.3 + Atmosphere 1.1.1 - it always launches to sysnand for some reason no mater what I try.

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, I use Hekate. Setting it up is not the problem. It's not the first time I'm doing this. It worked before without issues. I even tried downgrading and it worked. It even work with emunand alone or with emunand+linux+android. But my target setup is emunand on SD partition and Linux, and it does not work with HOS 13 + Hekate 5.6.3 + Atmosphere 1.1.1 - it always launches to sysnand for some reason no mater what I try.

Again your not booting cfw from hekate then, your using fusee payload.

If you go to the launch menu in hekate & pick emummc(cfw)
Which has it force enabled it should not happen.
Can you link your hekate ipl ini template?? Inside your bootloader folder.

Reactions: vojut

vojut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Again your not booting cfw from hekate then, your using fusee payload.

If you go to the launch menu in hekate & pick emummc(cfw)
Which has it force enabled it should not happen.
Can you link your hekate ipl ini template?? Inside your bootloader folder.
Ah! I know what you mean. I'm now launching by:

Code:
[CFW]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin

should I use this instead:

Code:
[CFW]
emummcforce=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3

?

Yes! It works! Thanks!

But, launching by fusee worked fine before, why this aspect changed? And it was more stable for me, that's why I did launched directly by fusee-primary. Just now three restarts was enough for "panic ####" text mode to show up :( I will rather stick to my solution with Android partition even if not used.

Reactions: Jeromy22

vojut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I think I missed something before. I don't have this console right now and cannot check to be sure (maybe next week).

When I was testing booting by fss0 and restarted from emunand I ended up with sysmmc again - so I don't think it works as it should. But I think that replacing reboot_payload.bin to Hekate will get around this.

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to use this on my switch, do I need to backup my saves with jksv before I format my SD card with this? My original plan was to dual boot my new 1 tb SD card with this and Atmosphere but since I have the latest JKSV I don't know how to restore all of my save data it backs up.

wstlxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I want to use this on my switch, do I need to backup my saves with jksv before I format my SD card with this? My original plan was to dual boot my new 1 tb SD card with this and Atmosphere but since I have the latest JKSV I don't know how to restore all of my save data it backs up.
all you need to backup is files visible on the sd card (if you are not using dual boot currently). just copy them to your computer. Then fresh install ubuntu from scrach. then paste your files back.

Reactions: qaz015393

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all you need to backup is files visible on the sd card (if you are not using dual boot currently). just copy them to your computer. Then fresh install ubuntu from scrach. then paste your files back.
Ok I think I understand. I'm installing RetroPie and hopefully it'll be done before I sleep 😂 I'm installing pcsx2 and when I'm ready I'll back it up until I'm ready to reformat my SD card again and have it's full 956 gigs back to get back that ~90 gigs.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to boot directly into Retropie/Emulationstation?

I would love to be able to use one of the many Raspberry Pi3/4 builds on Switch. I would want to set up a 400gb card with only RetroPie/Emulationstation.

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi :)

Have installed L4T...everything ok...but...ther's no Mouse Pointer, i only can touch....is there no Mouse?

JoyCon Data was dumped and the files left there where they made, if i detach the Cons, they get paired, but no Pointer at all?

Some Ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool