L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

Bober791

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I waited 2-4(even up to 10) minutes and nothing.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. BTW screen all of the time is on.
My sd card files:
boot - coreboot.rom; Image; intiramfs; tegra210...
bootloader - ini playloads sysl hekate_ipl.ini
boot.scr
BTW On the second card I have an android and everything works fine.

Last edited by Bober791,

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I waited 2-4(even up to 10) minutes and nothing.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. BTW screen all of the time is on.
My sd card files:
boot - coreboot.rom; Image; intiramfs; tegra210...
bootloader - ini playloads sysl hekate_ipl.ini
boot.scr
BTW On the second card I have an android and everything works fine.

Same here

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Could any mod sticky this?
It's sad to see it buried and lost among other threads

Is the sound still heard low?
I use this docked most of time and hadn't any breaking audio issues, not that I know of.
are you using the 1.3.1 update?

Last edited by NoNAND,

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fixed the sound issue, replace the ucm stuff with the updated version on switchroot. The volumes maximums were set at a little less than half. I pushed those changes about the time android came out. ;) Just replace the HiFi file in /usr/share/alsa/ucm/tegra210ref-<iforget>/HiFi with the one on gitlab, then restart the console. Both headphone, and speaker audio will be much louder.

Sorry I forgot to mention this here, I have been on discord latly with the devs. In other news I have working reboot 2 payload for linux. ;) Will be pushing updates for that soon enough,.. for l4t-ubuntu, but there is still some work being done there, and the reboot stub needs to be taken out of ATF, and included in coreboot. But as it sits, it will reboot to hekate, or really whatever firmware you include in the kernel. lol.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to get every one so excited for reboot2payload. Current implementation works, but we need to move the rebootstub out of Arm-trusted-firmware, and into coreboot, so it can be loaded by ATF, instead of built in. It makes updates easier, if it changes on atmospheres end. Also, fo some weird reason it is trying to autoboot the first entry on reboot, which I found ends at a black screen. I think I might still push an update today, as I have a version that takes the payload out of the kernel, which was the big issue, as it is dirty to include stuff in the kernel, if it isnt absolutly needed there. ;) Also, it creates a legal problem to release it with the binary blob included, depending on the payload(Ctc made a point to bring that up, when I said I had put hekate, and also wanted to put sxos payload in the kernel, so people had options) New patches let you define custom payload via configfs, and default payload via dts. It all still needs some work, but I think I might have a version to release early, but it is now monday, and I have to work all day. I also might have a way to keep joycon pairing between android/linux/and hos. I am not sure I can implement it easily though, as I need to get the pairing keys from HOS, and cant access the nand in linux. I will see what I can do with that when I get a minute, and get reboot2payload out for linux.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As promised..... I give you Reboot2Payload update for l4t-ubuntu. This update comes with a little more hassle than the previous updates, but it is worth it.

1. Download and extract this to boot(fat32) partition, should overwrite all ubuntu files there: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mchw2491c1ek36/l4t-ubuntu-reboot2payload.zip?dl=0

2. boot console.
3. Do everything after this as root
3A. If you are overclocking on boot using /etc/rc.local:
change script to
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/tegra_cpufreq/overclock
echo  2091000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq
echo 1 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/tegra-reboot2payload/r2p/default_payload
exit 0
3B. If not overclocking:
1. Create /etc/rc.local eg. touch /etc/rc.local
2. make rc.local executable eg. chmod +x /etc/rc.local
3. edit /etc/rc.local to add
Code:
#!/bin/bash
exit 0
4. copy payload of your choice to /lib/firmware and rename it to reboot_payload.fw

5. if doing this on l4t-ubuntu, run in your root terminal: echo 1 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/tegra-reboot2payload/r2p/default_payload

6. Now reboot to your payload. There is a custom_payload option, that you can echo the name of another payload also in /lib/firmware into and it will reboot to that payload as well.

Credit goes to:
@Stary#0632 for porting reboot2payload from Atmosphere into Coreboot/ATF/U-boot/Kernel :)
@Gavin_Darkglider for testing, and building update for you guys, and writing this awesome guide.
@Switchroot for the awesome work they are doing in the scene, for both linux and android development

Should also thank the atmosphere developers for creating what was ported as well. ;)

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider,

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As promised..... I give you Reboot2Payload update for l4t-ubuntu. This update comes with a little more hassle than the previous updates, but it is worth it.

1. Download and extract this to boot(fat32) partition, should overwrite all ubuntu files there: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mchw2491c1ek36/l4t-ubuntu-reboot2payload.zip?dl=0

2. boot console.
3. Do everything after this as root
3A. If you are overclocking on boot using /etc/rc.local:
change script to
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/tegra_cpufreq/overclock
echo  2091000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq
exit 0
3B. If not overclocking:
1. Create /etc/rc.local eg. touch /etc/rc.local
2. make rc.local executable eg. chmod +x /etc/rc.local
3. edit /etc/rc.local to add
Code:
#!/bin/bash
exit 0
4. copy payload of your choice to /lib/firmware and rename it to reboot_payload.fw

5. if doing this on l4t-ubuntu, run in your root terminal: echo 1 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/tegra-reboot2payload/r2p/default_payload

6. Now reboot to your payload. There is a custom_payload option, that you can echo the name of another payload also in /lib/firmware into and it will reboot to that payload as well.

Credit goes to:
@Stary#0632 for porting reboot2payload from Atmosphere into Coreboot/ATF/U-boot/Kernel :)
@Gavin_Darkglider for testing, and building update for you guys, and writing this awesome guide.
@Switchroot for the awesome work they are doing in the scene, for both linux and android development
This is awesome. Thanks a ton.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
L4T-Ubuntu Update 1.5.0

This update includes Minerva, and Minerva Mini(Kernel side companion to retrain as needed). It also includes the touchscreen fixes from the android kernel.

Simple install on this one, just overwrite the files on the fat32 partition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54ibwj3id4vj2cc/l4t-ubuntu-1.5.0.zip?dl=0

Credit goes to:
CTCaer For Minerva and Minerva Mini
Gavin_Darkglider For Compiling and packaging this release.
Switchroot team for the awesome work they are doing in the scene.

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Touchscreen fixes? Sweet, seems like it got much better then.

I wanted to know a couple of things regarding Firefox. First, is Flash supported? (There's a site I want to use.) Second, does Twitch run well on it?

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The touchscreen still isnt great, there are better fixes coming, but the devs are hard at work getting android pie built, and getting lp0 sleep support working properly. There are a few ideas on fixes floating around at the memont, so hopefully sooner rather than later. ;) As for flash, I use it in Kodi on gentoo, so see no reason it wouldnt work on ubuntu. as for twitch, I dont know.

Reactions: DominoBright

Conan179

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
L4T-Ubuntu Update 1.5.0

This update includes Minerva, and Minerva Mini(Kernel side companion to retrain as needed). It also includes the touchscreen fixes from the android kernel.

Simple install on this one, just overwrite the files on the fat32 partition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54ibwj3id4vj2cc/l4t-ubuntu-1.5.0.zip?dl=0

Credit goes to:
CTCaer For Minerva and Minerva Mini
Gavin_Darkglider For Compiling and packaging this release.
Switchroot team for the awesome work they are doing in the scene.
What i canche, when l4t not mmcblk0p2 on my disk? (mmcblk0p8 on my card)

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What i canche, when l4t not mmcblk0p2 on my disk? (mmcblk0p8 on my card)

Then you need to create a new boot.scr, or reboot2payload wont work, as the default payload, hekate id, and what to do on reboot are defined there, as the built into the dts options are for android. It is also hard to get this perfect for everyone, as I dont know what your partition layout is, we create a default template, if you deviate from that it is on you.

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider,

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just make sure to use the latest boot.scr, as it is needed for reboot2payload, or else it will try to autoboot android, which you wont have, and hekate doesnt support yet. I think the eta on that feature is tuesday, but dont quote me on that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.