L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

parkerlreed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just Successfully booted L4T Gentoo for the first time. A few simple fixes, and making sure audio and dock configs are in place, and you guys can have fun with it. That being said, I have not tested vulkan, or openmax yet, but it seems I have the basic nvidia driver working.

Sweet! Looking forward to trying it out.

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is my Gentoo L4T build. The one I posted was a linux 5.0 mainline build, with a 32bit chroot, so I could get libwedevine to work with kodi for netflix.

Sorry for the noob question(Im a linux novice admittedly ;P), but can I ask what differences one can expect running Gentoo instead of Ubuntu? I did a quick browse myself and it sparked my interest reading Gentoo is meant to be better for performance and has less bloatware? Does this mean in theory Dolphin, retroarch, web browsers & apps/utilities in general will get a better performance running through Gentoo? Any other large differences? Possibly less user friendly in certain ways etc... Any of your words of wisdom would be revered greatly.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the noob question(Im a linux novice admittedly ;P), but can I ask what differences one can expect running Gentoo instead of Ubuntu? I did a quick browse myself and it sparked my interest reading Gentoo is meant to be better for performance and has less bloatware? Does this mean in theory Dolphin, retroarch, web browsers & apps/utilities in general will get a better performance running through Gentoo? Any other large differences? Possibly less user friendly in certain ways etc... Any of your words of wisdom would be revered greatly.

Yes and no. It will be just as optimized as lakka, and more optimized than L4T-Ubuntu. Performance is subjective to the app, and most of the emulators in lakka have been given special attention, to get the best performance from them. As far as major differences, it is a lot less user friendly, at the moment no video acceleration works(openGL/GLES are both running swrast, and I havnt tried to test Cuda or Vulkan yet), even though I have installed the driver(This problem was expected though. lol) Mainly, gentoo on the switch was one of those things that reddit users said would be cool, but noone would probably do. I have been running it for years, so putting together the kodi build wasnt that bad, other than I did it in an emulator, which took 3 months to compile. :( This base build I did in L4T Ubuntu, and took 3 days. Huge difference. lol

Is this anbox?
No, that is pure android(I think)

vitxo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes and no. It will be just as optimized as lakka, and more optimized than L4T-Ubuntu. Performance is subjective to the app, and most of the emulators in lakka have been given special attention, to get the best performance from them. As far as major differences, it is a lot less user friendly, at the moment no video acceleration works(openGL/GLES are both running swrast, and I havnt tried to test Cuda or Vulkan yet), even though I have installed the driver(This problem was expected though. lol) Mainly, gentoo on the switch was one of those things that reddit users said would be cool, but noone would probably do. I have been running it for years, so putting together the kodi build wasnt that bad, other than I did it in an emulator, which took 3 months to compile. :( This base build I did in L4T Ubuntu, and took 3 days. Huge difference. lol

No offense. But this thread is from l4t ubuntu. If you want to talk about your gentoo compilation, do it in your thread.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense. But this thread is from l4t ubuntu. If you want to talk about your gentoo compilation, do it in your thread.

Offense Taken, considering I was answering a question. And that thread is for a different build all together, that has nothing to do with l4t. if you want to get on me, someone who has been answering questions, and helping people, with both l4t ubuntu, my current build, and my 32 bit gentoo for netflix, I think you can get off your high horse, and either post something useful, or shut the fuck up. No one asked you. Sure, maybe I should start another thread, for this information, but I am not ready to release the base build yet, so that will only come with people expecting a release, which isnt happening until I get the basic hardware working fully. Which is getting there, I have working OpenGL, Now onto GLESv1/GLESv2, then Cuda, then OpenMax/V4L2. It is a work in progress, and people keep asking, so I will keep answering. On top of that, this is bylaws thread, and if he had an issue with it, he would have mentioned it before you, and wouldnt have been giving pointers on getting the graphics stack to work with this kernel. Which he did in this thread.

Nasedase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got most things up and running but i was unable to get my usb storage devices and usb to ethernet adapter working. Storage devices weren't being read at all in fdisk. Any advice?

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hey lvl 1 3 posts, likely a troll, this is not only l4t ubuntu thread, because every progress that is made in any other distro can be used for this one and every other, this is linux friendo, and is awesome having more people working on it. What's your contributions to this? Or are you just a leecher?

This is not a "L4T linux competition".

Last edited by ZeroFX,

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got most things up and running but i was unable to get my usb storage devices and usb to ethernet adapter working. Storage devices weren't being read at all in fdisk. Any advice?

The usb host mode only works if the switch is connected to the official dock. It should work out of the box, but I have not tested that yet. I am still working on building my base system, and the dock support is the last thing on my list for that.

Reactions: Watermelonz

tansoftware

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MKSs3oERVFEW7gwd9
:)
In dock cause broken tc, full GPU accel, BT already works, no audio or WiFi yet, no settings cause I didn't cleanbuild when switching to non ATV (also works).

Holy Crap !!! I think I wet my pants :-P

But correct if I'm wrong, the first demo video showed audio & interent working but without gfx hardware acceleration. So now you got the hardware accel working, but there's an issue with audio output and WIFI connectivity ? Or is that only when docking ?

Last edited by tansoftware,

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy Crap !!! I think I wet my pants :-P

But correct if I'm wrong, the first demo video showed audio working but without gfx hardware acceleration. So now you got the hardware accel working, but there's an issue with audio output ? Or is that only when docking ?

The first teaser had no hardware acceleration, no cpu frequency scaling, and no audio. All of these things come with L4T kernel, the real trick, as I am finding with my gentoo build is getting the driver package to work properly. I got opengl working, but gles broke my window manager, and since my other laptop broke, I need to rebuild my hard drive, which will take a few days, but I am going to try and work on both at once. lol. ;) The one problem with having a fully optimized system, is that nothing works when you switch from AMD to Intel. lol. Now I have to rebuild my computer as well. lol. Good thing I generally dont have anything better to do.

Reactions: parkerlreed

bylaws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have any issues with you posting gentoo update here :)
Offense Taken, considering I was answering a question. And that thread is for a different build all together, that has nothing to do with l4t. if you want to get on me, someone who has been answering questions, and helping people, with both l4t ubuntu, my current build, and my 32 bit gentoo for netflix, I think you can get off your high horse, and either post something useful, or shut the fuck up. No one asked you. Sure, maybe I should start another thread, for this information, but I am not ready to release the base build yet, so that will only come with people expecting a release, which isnt happening until I get the basic hardware working fully. Which is getting there, I have working OpenGL, Now onto GLESv1/GLESv2, then Cuda, then OpenMax/V4L2. It is a work in progress, and people keep asking, so I will keep answering. On top of that, this is bylaws thread, and if he had an issue with it, he would have mentioned it before you, and wouldnt have been giving pointers on getting the graphics stack to work with this kernel. Which he did in this thread.

trohn_javolta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MKSs3oERVFEW7gwd9
:)
In dock cause broken tc, full GPU accel, BT already works, no audio or WiFi yet, no settings cause I didn't cleanbuild when switching to non ATV (also works).

Just Successfully booted L4T Gentoo for the first time. A few simple fixes, and making sure audio and dock configs are in place, and you guys can have fun with it. That being said, I have not tested vulkan, or openmax yet, but it seems I have the basic nvidia driver working.

:O:toot::sad:
Omg, this is awesome! I'm gonna put my nvidia shield tv on ebay. :rofl2:
Plz keep us updated guys, if you have a release candidate and make a new thread, plz. post it here so we can follow.

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I agree regular updates on both of your progress would very well be appreciated! It would also pave way for further feedback from the switch-linux hacking community!
With everything else happening in the switch scene, pegaswitch, free emunand and now android, this really increases the hype!:bow::D:bow::toot:

Last edited by Qubarf,
Reactions: Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, quick update on l4t gentoo, it works, but I installed the wrong version of mesa, so gles breaks linking. :( Working on fixing that now, but I also need to rebuild gentoo on my new laptop, as the CPU is intel, and my os is optimized for a specific amd processor, none of the apps run. :( I should be able to do both at the same time, so expect the base build in a week or so, or at least once I figure out the graphics stack completely.

A few notes on the progress though, for anyone else who might want to attempt to port l4t to their favorite distro:

1. Compiler used matters. Do not compile your system with GCC version that is more than 7.3.x if you do, you get a lot of linking errors when it comes to the video card drivers, and they wont work. Learned this the hard way. lol.

2. Xorg server needs to be 1.19.6. Anything more or less, and the graphics driver wont work. For GLESv1/v2 you need to have mesa 18.3.1 or else the GLES headers dont match the nvidia driver, and compilation/linking fails. As for cuda/openmax, I havnt gotten to that yet, but I am sure there is going to be some issue there, that I havnt even thought of yet. lol.

3. Get the 32.1 driver pack for the jetson nano, and have fun manually linking the files into you lib dir. I am working on a script that will do this for you, but it is a work in progress at best, as I havnt completely figured it out yet. lol.

I look forward to seeing other distros ported over to l4t ubuntu. Happy Hacking people. ;)

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider,

avoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I ask my question, I want to preface this with some information. I have applied all patches, and even loaded into L4T twice, did an update and upgrade and installed some other things. I was able to reboot it only once and get into L4T after this.
Question:
Has anyone ran into the problem where they are having issues with booting? I have gotten into L4T, ran updates and upgrade as well as installed zsh, a few other things and moved some py scripting stuff I have been messing with over (doesn't mess with anything system related.) and I cannot seem to get the switch to boot into L4T again. I've tried restarting it 5-10 times (as stated in this thread multiple times, and probably over 20 at this point) and I can get the L4T readme to be recognized on my PC, but the switch remains with a black screen. Any ideas? I am sure I have missed something in the 80+ pages here, so I apologize if I missed something that covers this issue.

EDIT: To this, I can still SSH in over usb, but it takes around 45 seconds to make a connection, and another 3-4 to recognize a command and spit to stdout.
EDIT2: Demo gods have spared me, and the next reset I tried worked. To anyone else that gets this error, just keep restarting my guy, youll get there eventually lol

Last edited by avoy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey