L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can't seem to get this to work after a few re-tries, i'll try and mention all the steps i did, hopefully someone will see what i did wrong.

After the switch turned off the first time, did you try booting with the payload again?

theory18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After the switch turned off the first time, did you try booting with the payload again?
I did not, i followed a tutorial and a youtube video and both just launched into linux after the 2-4 minute wait, so i wait 10min and thought it didn't work.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The first time I followed the tutorial, it worked fine the first time.

The second time I did the process I had to try turning my switch on multiple times. I don't know if it was the update or a fluke. But after it finially initialized, I no longer have boot issues.

GibboHull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He was talking about the 1.1 update, which does not need to be burned to the sd card. Only needs to be copied and pasted.

I know.

But he was saying that he could not find the first partition. Which, like i said, comes up as a normal folder structure when the SD card is inserted. I added the burn bit in just in case he didn't do it. No point him searching for it if he just copied the img to a memory stick.

A3660537JPN

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I did not, i followed a tutorial and a youtube video and both just launched into linux after the 2-4 minute wait, so i wait 10min and thought it didn't work.
The time it takes is different by microSD.
Some microSDs it takes 1 minutes,others it takes 1 hour.

gutop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Hi, i have a question. How can i set up the Joycon controllers in the Dolphin Emulator?
I paired it with the Bluetooth, but there's no reaction in the Dolphin Controller Settings. Thanks

MartianMSK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, i have a question. How can i set up the Joycon controllers in the Dolphin Emulator?
I paired it with the Bluetooth, but there's no reaction in the Dolphin Controller Settings. Thanks
Did you press L and R togheter after having paired them both?
You have one green light on both or four, flashing?

PokOeLe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
its a good idea, but i've tried LOTS of workarounds with no success

I just went to a shop and bought a 12 Euro 16GB SanDisk SD card, flashed the image with Balena Etcher on MacOSX, drop the card inside the switch, booted Hekate, and Boom! after less than one minute the Installer showed up! So indeed it was my SD card. I don't understand why, I tried two samsung Evo plus SD cards one 128GB and the other 64GB and both of them didn't work!

Hope this solves your problem too. Buy a cheap card just for for Linux

bylaws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't have my switch at hand and would like to do some testing on a virtual machine. Does anyone know if and how to get the image working in VirtualBox?
Already tried converting the .img File to .vdi with VirtualBox's integrated tools but the VB didn't recognise the drive as bootable.

Edit: nvmd, forgot that VirtualBox only runs x86, will try with qemu
You can setup binfmt with qemu user-static and chroot in but you won't get any graphics
I just went to a shop and bought a 12 Euro 16GB SanDisk SD card, flashed the image with Balena Etcher on MacOSX, drop the card inside the switch, booted Hekate, and Boom! after less than one minute the Installer showed up! So indeed it was my SD card. I don't understand why, I tried two samsung Evo plus SD cards one 128GB and the other 64GB and both of them didn't work!

Yeah, I'm still working out what causes sdcard bugs

Prankst3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Have you tried Scandisk? If you have windows, start CMD and type "chkdsk x: /x /r /f"; x: is the letter of your sd card. There should be something similar for MacOSX.

edit: for MacOSX: "diskutil verifyVolume [drive identifier]" and "diskutil repairvolume [drive identifier]"

Last edited by Prankst3r,

swabbo

Wot u doin readin dis m8?
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so after messing around with Qjoypad I figured it was highly outdated and looked for something else.
Turns out the simplest way to control mouse with joycon is to do:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-joystick
and reboot!
Voila!

p.s 'A' is left click and 'X' is left click. I am pretty sure the sensitivity can be altered through mouse settings.

Thanks for the alternative dude but I tried this, a is middle mouse click, y is right click and b is left click and my left analog stick’s up/down are reversed, no idea how to change it

P3T3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't figure a way around this. I figured out how to exit Kodi, but logging in again booted it back up. Can't use the keyboard or mouse either. It's a trap! I ended up reimaging.

What guide did you use to compile kodi on unbuntu?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool