L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. W9qI8k5QMf

W9qI8k5QMf Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2019
    United States
    I had the same problem.

I bought my switch used and the power cable for the dock was some unofficial power adapter.
    normal switch usage, the image would show on the screen, but for l4t linux the image wouldnt switch over.

I bought a proper nintendo power adapter cable for the switch and now when I put switch in dock the image shows on tv for L4t linux.

lordelan likes this.
  2. CalcProgrammer1

CalcProgrammer1 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    Does anyone have a complete guide on how to check out the complete kernel source and build it? I used the script on the Switchroot gitlab but it was still missing some files and would not build. For some reason my USB Ethernet adapter doesn't get detected and I'd also like to try some other things with custom kernel builds.

3. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    That is my script, and it works fine, you are talking about the dts files being missing, use make tegra-dtstree="../hardware/nvidia/" and it should work. for some reason it doesnt see the files, so you have to define where they are. I explained this in the issue on gitlab.

4. bdonvr

bdonvr Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    United States
    The current image listed keeps quitting halfway through the download.

5. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Use a download manager such as aria2c or JDownloader.

6. globalc

globalc Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2019
    Japan
    I would login from a remote system with SSH, and execute 'xrandr' as the user once undocked, and later when docked. The new screen should appear in the output. You could also activate the HDMI output with xrandr manually, but scripts are supposed to do that automatically.

Most likely reason for the HDMI output not getting up might be no power supply connected to the dock.

lordelan likes this.
  7. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Alright guys. Does anybody know a good method to resize the whole top menu bar to make it bigger?
    The side menu bar with the launch icons can be adjusted a bit in settings -> Display but since the top menu bar is far more important for using it in handheld mode with touch only we should try to get that a bit bigger.
    I found this thread but it seems a bit messy:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2349212

8. CalcProgrammer1

CalcProgrammer1 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    I re-ran the script and built as you said. I got this error during my build:

Code:
      MK_FW   firmware/tegra21x_xusb_firmware.gen.S
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target '/lib/firmware/brcm/BCM4356A3.hcd', needed by 'firmware/brcm/BCM4356A3.hcd.gen.o'.  Stop.
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
      MK_FW   firmware/brcm/BCM4356A3.hcd.gen.S
    Makefile:1025: recipe for target 'firmware' failed
    make: *** [firmware] Error 2
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

9. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Those are required firmware files, they arent included with the kernel sources, which is what the script downloads, and constructs into a buildable kernel tree.

the BCM4356A3.hcd is from the switch firmware, but you can get it from lakka github.
    the tegra21x_xusb_firmware is in the bsp download for the jetson nano.You can also get it from the lakka github.

10. CalcProgrammer1

CalcProgrammer1 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    I think I found the correct link:

https://github.com/lakka-switch/Lak...evices/Switch-L4T/filesystem/usr/lib/firmware

Edit: Where do I put the files in the build tree?

I put the Broadcom firmware in the system /lib/firmware/brcm folder and it looks like it's working. I also had to make a copy of it named BCM.hcd and find a text file online. Is this correct?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=908724

Got an Image to build, but it doesn't appear to boot. Been at a blank screen for 5 minutes now.

Last edited by CalcProgrammer1, Jul 21, 2019
  11. skittletop

skittletop Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2018
    United States
    Using chrome I right clicked the download and slected resume after it failed (a couple of times) but it downloaded eventually.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Okay I'm getting there, OTG doesn't seem to work in handheld mode, at least my crappy C to USB 3.1 Anker cable is not working.

In docked mode I got my iPazzPort controller working, but the right side of the screen is corrupted:

Anyone else noticed this or know how to fix?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

12. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Try using a different monitor.

13. skittletop

skittletop Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2018
    United States
    Cool, looking much better on my old 55" Panny. Thanks.

Attached Files:

14. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    try using the dtb from l4t update 1.3. I couldnt get the dtb to work, until i rebuilt the bootchain with the latest sources. something changed in the dtb source for android I think that wasnt supported in coreboot before.

15. bdonvr

bdonvr Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    United States
    I just used wget and it automatically continued each time. Server just quits sending data every 1GiB.

16. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
  17. Ted264

Ted264 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    Can confirm that logitech's k400 keyboard works flawlessly when docked on tv.

lordelan likes this.
  18. xstre pwnsx

xstre pwnsx Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2008
    United States
    Is there anyway to use the headphone jack on the switch while docked for audio output?

19. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    yes, you need to edit the dock-handler script, and remove the pactl commands, so it doesnt disable internal audio when docked. Or you could just install pavucontrol, and change output device configuration.

globalc and lordelan like this.
  20. xstre pwnsx

xstre pwnsx Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2008
    United States
    Thank you, very useful comment, though where is the dock-handler script located?