L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

SvenDeadlySin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first things first I want to apologize for the weird way I'm typing. I'm using voice typing because my dyslexia is not letting me spell out these words correctly and the voice typing Library keeps replacing them with more common words.
Now that that's out of the way.

Last night I decided to see if I could at least back up the nand of my switch and using nsox it worked.
So NSOX works just fine but for some reason I can't get this to work ...
Hey, if you want to PM me I would love to help. I could even Skype/ discord audio you to help. I love the fact you explained the dyslexia thing, I love helping in general man so seriously if I can just let me know!

globalc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
fluxcoil.net
XP
Country
Japan
Tried declining those who filed after deleting Boot and boot.scr and the same thing happened, black screen.
The switch Works normally but I have not tried loading any other type of custom firmware on it at all. I just want Linux
I think that your steps were not including the steps from the first page of this thread. It instructs to write the image, then install the updates, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3.1. You did remove files, that is part of step 1.1. Step 1.3.1 is then deploying 4 new files. Your steps did not include that you did that.

GreinSpider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that your steps were not including the steps from the first page of this thread. It instructs to write the image, then install the updates, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3.1. You did remove files, that is part of step 1.1. Step 1.3.1 is then deploying 4 new files. Your steps did not include that you did that.

I thought I said that... Apparently I list saying that but I did do it, every time. Except the times where I said I only wrote the image then tried to load it.

gbazone

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought I said that... Apparently I list saying that but I did do it, every time. Except the times where I said I only wrote the image then tried to load it.

Why don't you try writing the image to your SD card again and try to boot it without thinking about updates. That will help us help you troubleshoot. Don't delete any files, just write the image and boot from Hekate.

GreinSpider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well I just tried that just now...but I used a different img @ http://download.switchroot.org
*wrote the image (win32diskimager
*deleted boot folder & boot.scr
*overwrote bootloader & l4t-Ubuntu folders
*ejected sd
*loaded sd into switch
*hekate->L4T
It worked... but I change the SD card to a different brand. Turns out the one I was using, why was 128 GB, wasn't a class 10 or above. So if the person in charge of this thread can add this to the instructions to make sure that your SD card is class 10 or above.
Thanks everyone!!! ;-)

Reactions: SvenDeadlySin

Gallegotroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello how are you, first, congratz for the work, you are the really heroes of the switch...

Today, im decide to try this l4t on my switch, i followed all the steps to insert the OS in the sd, launch with hekate and here i have the problem

The l4t installation screen appears, but, i can't use the touch, my touch is working with the others CFW, but here no, is it possible to use the joycons or keyboard to move on the menus?

Thanks in advance and regards

Gallego. :)

Shoepuff_Exciter

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I am interested in trying this out and using it for a project.
Quick question before I go through the process of figuring out how to install this on a Switch:
Is it possible to install and compile drivers for external USB devices? Will the device run code for other ARM CPUs or only stuff specifically for the Tegra?

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello how are you, first, congratz for the work, you are the really heroes of the switch...

Today, im decide to try this l4t on my switch, i followed all the steps to insert the OS in the sd, launch with hekate and here i have the problem

The l4t installation screen appears, but, i can't use the touch, my touch is working with the others CFW, but here no, is it possible to use the joycons or keyboard to move on the menus?

Thanks in advance and regards

Gallego. :)
Put it in the dock, and do it with a keyboard and mouse. I have no issues with the touchscreen.

I am interested in trying this out and using it for a project.
Quick question before I go through the process of figuring out how to install this on a Switch:
Is it possible to install and compile drivers for external USB devices? Will the device run code for other ARM CPUs or only stuff specifically for the Tegra?

Yes, and no. Some things work, because they are compiled using generic gcc flags. also you would need arm64 binaries, as 32bit cant link with the drivers.

Reactions: Shoepuff_Exciter

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, so ostensibly stuff that would compile on something like Raspberry Pi 3+ should (theoretically) also compile and run on a Switch?

Once again, yes, and no. If you are running 64bit linux on your pi, then maybe. That being said, all versions of raspbian are 32 bit builds. The apps that use hardware acceleration on that are also optimized for that hardware. So maybe the patches would work, for things like openmax, but not sure about the rest, and that is assuming you compile stuff. I am working on porting gentoo, I am still working out bugs in the repository, but I am getting there.

Shoepuff_Exciter

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Once again, yes, and no. If you are running 64bit linux on your pi, then maybe. That being said, all versions of raspbian are 32 bit builds. The apps that use hardware acceleration on that are also optimized for that hardware. So maybe the patches would work, for things like openmax, but not sure about the rest, and that is assuming you compile stuff. I am working on porting gentoo, I am still working out bugs in the repository, but I am getting there.

Well, guess it's time to do some science then.
Only one way to find out which side of the "yes and no" I land on.

globalc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
fluxcoil.net
XP
Country
Japan
Awesome, so ostensibly stuff that would compile on something like Raspberry Pi 3+ should (theoretically) also compile and run on a Switch?
I run an aarch64/Fedora30 userland with the L4T kernel, it works fine: these binaries and libraries are 'just' compiled for the architecture, not especially for the Tegra.

gbAlfei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've tried on three different sd cards and none of them have worked for me. I've tried every update with both hekate 4.10.1, 5.0.0, and another version from the RetroNX discord. I haven't gotten Lakka L4T or L4T Ubuntu to boot yet, but one of my cards is the Samsung EVO 64gb U3, which I've seen multiple people say works for them. The other two are the Sandisk Ultra PLUS 32gb and the Sandisk Micro SDHC I, which is only class 4. The other two are U3 and Class 10. Any tips?

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've tried on three different sd cards and none of them have worked for me. I've tried every update with both hekate 4.10.1, 5.0.0, and another version from the RetroNX discord. I haven't gotten Lakka L4T or L4T Ubuntu to boot yet, but one of my cards is the Samsung EVO 64gb U3, which I've seen multiple people say works for them. The other two are the Sandisk Ultra PLUS 32gb and the Sandisk Micro SDHC I, which is only class 4. The other two are U3 and Class 10. Any tips?
What is the exact circumstance of "none of them have worked for me." ?

Gallegotroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry if i'm disturbing you, but, who knows how to pass the install process without using the touchscreen? my touch doesn't work in the install menu but works fine in others cfw...

Someone says me i can install l4t putting my switch in the dock and using keyboard+mouse, is this true?

Thanks for your time i will like your responses

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if i'm disturbing you, but, who knows how to pass the install process without using the touchscreen? my touch doesn't work in the install menu but works fine in others cfw...

Someone says me i can install l4t putting my switch in the dock and using keyboard+mouse, is this true?

Yes, it is true, the usb ports on the dock work, and so does dock video.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It probably works, touch just doesn't work very well and isn't super accurate in l4t

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over