L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2012
    United States
    So, how do I remove said partition, so I can get complete access to the whole memory card?

2. gbazone

gbazone GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    I'm using an old 16gb red SanDisk micro SD. I think the speed is only 33 or something. Will everything run better if I use a modern 128gb SanDisk?

3. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    google gparted, or even better partedmagic.
    That is an interesting question. Things will load/save quicker, with a fast sdcard, but once it is in ram it should perform about the same, unless the process is constantly accessing data from the sdcard, in which case it would be slower. So yes, using a faster sdcard is not a bad idea, but not needed either.

Watermelonz likes this.
  4. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Press the power button to get out of sleep mode

5. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    if that doesnt work plug it in, and it should wake up.

6. DevinG70

DevinG70 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Hey I don't know if I keep doing something wrong but whenever I go to shut off the switch after going through the whole setup process and confirming that everything is working, I can't ever boot it back up using hekate, it just sits there on a black screen without and indication of anything working. It's not until I put the switch into the dock that I see a terminal on my tv screen going through a bunch of unreadable text that's going by too fast. Also whenever I do actually use it without turning it off, is it just me or is it really slow, because it doesn't take much for the screen to turn gray and frozen, and it stays that way for a good bit, which is why I tried turning it off and on again in the first place. Also I've reinstalled it a few times now lol

7. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Boot horizon, then turn off and then boot linux. I dont know what causes this, but booting horizon fixes it.

8. DevinG70

DevinG70 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Huh... really... well dang I never would've guessed that lol, thanks if it works!

9. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    You are welcome.

In other news, Gentoo repo has been started. official repo can be found at: https://github.com/bell07/gentoo-switch_overlay

My fork is much further along, as not all of my changes have been tested, and merged yet, but will get there eventually. It can be found here: https://github.com/GavinDarkglider/gentoo-switch_overlay

I warn you that both of these repositories are still in early development, but on mine, there should be enough to build a bootable system, and have most of the hardware set up for you. I still need to make a nintendo-switch meta package that makes it easier to install all required packages.

globalc, ZeroFX and Watermelonz like this.
  10. globalc

globalc Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2019
    Japan
    I had corruptions on my noname 32GB card, got a new one advertised with 100MB/sec. According to iozone, I can read from the card with the switch card reader with 80MB/sec.

11. GreinSpider

GreinSpider Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    Okay, I'm a complete Noob here. Uline I have not used Linux in any form and the only type of packing I'm used to is on the 3DS.
    So explain what's wrong with my switch trying to boot:
    *I burned the image to the SD card.
    *Deleted boot & boot.scr from root fat32 partition
    *ejected sd from pc inserted into switch
    *booted to "doss"-like menu with options LAUNCH & CONFIGS
    *selected CONFIGS
    *selected L4T
    *screen goes black. Backlight turn off then on.

And that's where I'm stuck.
    So, help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope

12. gbazone

gbazone GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Don't delete anything the first time you boot. You need some form of those to... boot. Install the updates after if you must from the Switch itself. After you setup and reboot, dock with a keyboard and mouse and then apply the updates. You got the Hekate part right (picking L4T). I used etcher to write the image. However you did it before just do it again.

13. globalc

globalc Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2019
    Japan
    Between these 2, the files from the update should be deployed. Step 1.3.1 in the instructions.

14. Emanuelssjin

Emanuelssjin Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2019
    United States
    How come when I am in handheld mode, it stays in black screen when booting. Only way I can get it working is if I leave it plugged in? Is there a way it would work without it being plug into charger? I tried all sd cards and none will boot up. Only if lucky with a power cord

15. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    How do people use this? Joycons are unusable for me when connected via bluetooth (crazy lag, control sticks messed up etc) .

16. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    I had some issues on version 1.0 with my Joy Cons but after the first update they work perfectly fine. I use them as a mouse and I played through the entire game of Wind Waker with them. Make sure you apply the updates from the OP.

17. GreinSpider

GreinSpider Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    Ok now I just
    *burned the image to the sd
    *inserted the ad into switch
    *booted into hekate
    *launch -> configs -> LET
    AND....black screen....

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ok now I just
    *burned the image to the sd
    *inserted the ad into switch
    *booted in
    Again total noon here.
    Here's what I did what I did when I got home
    *burned img to SD
    *booted heated
    *L4T
    *...black screen.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Again total noon here.
    Here's what I did what I did when I got home
    *burned img to SD
    *booted hekate
    *L4T
    *...black screen.

18. GreinSpider

GreinSpider Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    Tried declining those who filed after deleting Boot and boot.scr and the same thing happened, black screen.
    The switch Works normally but I have not tried loading any other type of custom firmware on it at all. I just want Linux

19. duanxuef

duanxuef Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2019
    United States
    Great!!!
    But I want to use the sdcard with exFat format, is there a way to add exFat support for the Ubuntu and coreboot.rom?

20. Djakku

Djakku Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Not at the moment.