L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    just looking at it, it would work, assuming the patches can still be applied to the latest chromium source, and arent specific to arm, as this is an arm64 processor. Even then, it would probably be a matter of changing a few lines in a makefile.

2. v311403

v311403 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2019
    United States
    @Gavin_Darkglider what X video drivers are you using in gentoo? Did you copy or build the nvidia_drv.so from l4t?

3. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Gavin_Darkglider likes this.
  4. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    I believe the Chromium installed to L4T Ubuntu supports hardware video decoding by default. I remember seeing bylaws say it.

5. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Here are new scripts for both the switch and cross compiling that apply them memory patch mentioned above for you to the kernel sources. Should help with the not booting issue.

Same instructions as before, and it will set up the kernel build enviornment. If someone could test, and get back to me, that would be nice.

Attached Files:

ZachyCatGames likes this.
  6. dotmick

dotmick Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Pretty sure you're having your video driver set on Vulkan with a core that doesn't support it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The patch should be applied before compilation right?

7. Oxynux

Oxynux Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    France
    I have some issues with wifi in L4T Ubuntu on Switch, the throughput is great but sometime I am disconnected from the wifi and auto-reconnection not working (most of the time) I have to reconnect it to the AP manually -and even manually reconnection is difficult- (I have tested differents APs but it's still the same).

I am in v1.3.1 an I have this problem since 1.2 (I didn't test 1.0 and 1.1)

8. Yo_Homie

Yo_Homie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    United States
    It supports OpenGL for hardware accelerated browsing but video (like YouTube) are all decoded on the CPU instead of the built in 4K 60fps hardware decoder (which is much more efficient).

Just went to wake my switch up on the dock only to find it awake and logged out with wifi not working. Here is my syslog (renamed to syslog.txt so that I could upload it):

Attached Files:

stick267 likes this.
  9. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Same thing has happened to me in portable mode. Had to either log in and out 2 or 3 times or reboot to get Wi-Fi working again.

10. trohn_javolta

trohn_javolta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Take your time, just curious to know where you'll post it. Here on gbatemp or elsewhere?

11. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Usually I post things on realmodscene, as I am a moderator there, it makes it easier. Since that site is mainly for xbox mods, I will problable post it here, and link to it there, and on the TX forums.
    The log you posted didnt say anything about wifi, but I am fairly certain it is the same issue that effects the mainline kernel, where after so long, if you change networks, the card gets stuck with ret=-12, and then does nothing. I was planning on looking into it, but then I started building gentoo for tegra. lol.

12. bylaws
    OP

bylaws GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I had a DTS change in my tree to disable c7 suspend state, I removed it.
    He is using mesa, so no vk or audio
    It doesn't

13. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Bah, I've given up on DHCP/NAT. For whatever reason, DNSMASQ refuses to see virtual devices (bridges, Taps, etc..). It won't start with an interface pointing to such. DHCPD refuses to latch onto ANY interface and does not see my subnet declarations. I'm almost certain it's due to my inexperience with Linux and networking. Someone else will have to focus on this another time. I'll just have to find something else to obsess over. lol

Last edited by Deathscreton, May 31, 2019
  14. SvenDeadlySin

SvenDeadlySin Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2019
    United States
    Oklahoma
    Has anyone been able to get 1080P files to play without studdering?

15. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Have you tried it in omxplayer? It by default is an openmax player, so it will support the hardware. kodi has an option for the raspberry pi build to enable openmax, but it isnt included in the aarch64 stuff. It is an easy fix(Makefile), assuming the code compiles for aarch64. Unfortunatly, they recently removed all openmax support for kodi on github. I think they are revamping it in kodi 19.

As for the person who asked about video card drivers in gentoo on the switch, for mainline mesa, for my Gentoo for Tegra build, I am using nvidia bsp drivers 23.1 I think. The latest released for the tegra x1. If that doesnt work, I will copy lakka's driver files, and patch them in manually. I modified an old ebuild that installed the nvidia tegra drivers, but it doesnt cover vulkan, v4l2, gles, etc. just opengl for now. Should be easy enough to add those libraries, but gentoo is specific for being customisable so, when I do finish writing support for those in the ebuild, they will all have standard use flags attached.

Watermelonz likes this.
  16. bylaws
    OP

bylaws GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You want l4t 32.1

17. v311403

v311403 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2019
    United States
    I tried 32.1 very briefly last night on my arch root. Retroarch runs but mpv and kodi core dumped in glx somewhere (don't have the stack traces in front me). I wonder if perhaps the Nvidia binary drivers were compiled with a differing gcc ABI or against an older Xorg. I'm using gcc 8.3.

18. dixeflatline

dixeflatline Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near you
    @MrSaturn On the Retroarch issue, I too am having same issue, and our logs looks damn near identical. Though, my retroarch wont even boot to menu, i get black screen or a yellow blob. Happened after updating from 1.2 to 1.3 and same on 1.3.1. I tried a fresh install on new SD Card, flashed image and applied the 1.3.1 patch, deleted boot.src and boot folder... Same issue on fresh system. I have changed the drivers to all possible options in the retroarch.cfg, all which had about the same results, it cant find device or drops to a segmentation fault (core dumped). That leads me to believe that permissions got a little screwy or GPU driver got corrupted or moved without proper symlinks. I did try re-installing mesa/opengl driver via sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y on the fresh SD Card for shits and giggles, still got same issue. I would assume a bug in the patches 1.3* in the way it hooks GPU.... idk, im making stabs in the dark. Just thought id let you know what i have tried and failed so far.

Cheers!
    DFL

Last edited by dixeflatline, May 31, 2019
  19. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    The only copy of l4t 32.1 was for tegra tx2, and when I tried to install it, it was missing libglx.so If you have a link to the bsp for that, I would appreciate it.

20. ELY_M

ELY_M GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    I do not know how I did it but I am able to have my attached joycons working 100%

actually, I ran this command in my ssh session with my switch

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-joystick

then rebooted my switch and resynced the joycons.
    then attached them back to the tablet.
    guess what, I see the pointer moving and did tests. it worked even it is attached to my tablet.