L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. zarkon

zarkon Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2018
    Italy
    the is a way to fully enable squashfs, or what is the way to install retroarch other than software store ?

Inviato dal mio SM-N9600 utilizzando Tapatalk

2. MushCow

MushCow Newbie

Newcomer
    May 7, 2019
    Germany
    And for the note: You can switch to the "Switch OS" and play there.

The interesting part is streaming und much more. Netflix, Amazon Prime or Kodi ...

I hope anyone can find a way to include widevine or DRM. :)

trohn_javolta likes this.
  3. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    I thought that with running Ubuntu and ran anything throws in linux. Since the same operating system, aaptado to arm64, would be responsible for interpreting the game for that processor.

So can only play pure emulator?

4. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    I have had a linux build for a year that plays netflix in kodi 18. You cant easily install kodi18 in l4t ubuntu, as the build enviornment is a pain to set up, as the ppa is all for X86_64. :( I am working on an l4t-gentoo build now, but I think I am stuck with a 64 bit os. Not a big deal, as I plan on creating a 32bit chroot just for kodi on this build. It sucks, as there is no multilib arm setup, so you have to build a 64bit system to get the drivers to work, and a 32bit chroot, basically set up the same way, with the apps installed in it that wont run on arm64(Such as libwedevine library to decrypt drm streams.) It is a work in process, and my computer isnt the fastest, but if I can get it to work, I will post a basic stage 4 here, at least for the arm64 stuff.

achoissoumsaco and trohn_javolta like this.
  5. trohn_javolta

trohn_javolta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Nice, thx for your work!

6. EpicLPer

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    I'm waiting like crazy for Android on the Switch now, then it's even more perfect!

trohn_javolta likes this.
  7. Drban789

Drban789 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Is there people working on it atm or your just hoping? Because ubuntu is really weird for me lol. Andriod will be perfect the OS is so light and stable. And so much stuff for it.

8. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Jul 28, 2015
    Turkey
    (no offense)

-Honey!

-Whaat?

-Where is my android!?

-Whaaaaaat??

-WHERE IS MY ANDROID!!??

Refriger8tor likes this.
  9. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    the keyboard dosent popup when i need it to, it seems to do what it wants. can i make it popup whenever i need it to?

EDIT: found it all the way at the top of the screen in that little 4 panel square on top. (its small so you may need a stylus to tap)

Last edited by xdarkmario, May 26, 2019
    Csmrcc likes this.
  10. KuranKu

KuranKu I am KranK

Jan 13, 2019
    Israel
    Israel
    the small 4 cubes icon on the right top side of the panel just beside all the other icons such wifi ...

xdarkmario likes this.
  11. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Nobody’s working on it at the moment, but it is planned

12. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    anyone else got dual boot working with horrizon OS and this ubuntu on the same SD? i have somewhat a "dualboot" but its far from practical.

13. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Eh. What?

Jun 18, 2018
    Japan
    Some place in
    This was already answered, search for the keyword partition or dd or whatever in this post :).

nevermind, i got for ya.

Last edited by ZeroFX, May 27, 2019
  14. Drban789

Drban789 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hello, im struggling to install snapd for the switch. I wanted to install acestream player, however I keep getting the same error "system does not fully support snapd:cannot mount sqaushfs image using "squashfs: mount: /tmp/sanity-mountpoint-322799071: unknown filesystem type 'squashfs'."

I am guessing because this version of unbuntu is modified? as snap should already work for this version

15. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Eh. What?

Jun 18, 2018
    Japan
    Some place in
    you have to rebuild the kernel, adding Squashfs support, someone already discussed about this and theres even a script for building the kernel above, oh and this is a fully fledged ubuntu, its just a different architecture.

Last edited by ZeroFX, May 27, 2019
  16. Drban789

Drban789 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I saw it but i just dont get it lol. Says i need another linux machine to do it etc. i only have the switch with ubuntu on it. No clue what to do

ZeroFX likes this.
  17. enzobelmont

enzobelmont Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2019
    Mexico
    is there a .deb with nvidia driver?
    I am asking this because upgraded all distro and now i can not inialize graphic driver.
    Reviewing Xorg log it says that there is a problem with DRI.

18. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    As the person that wrote the script, I can say that it should be buildable on the switch. I personally run linux on my computer anyway, hince why I would say a linux computer. Attached is a version that should work on the switch, assuming you have a sane build enviornment.

To build this on the switch, you must have a full gcc enviornment.... Google how to install it on ubuntu, I run gentoo, so I am not going to look into it.

Step 1: Download Attached txt file
    Step 2. open terminal
    Step 3. type: mkdir -p ~/kernel; mv ~/Downloads/l4t_kernel_prep.txt ~/kernel/l4t_kernel_prep.sh; chmod +x ~/kernel/l4t_kernel_prep.sh
    Step 4. type: cd kernel/
    Step 5. type. ./l4t_kernel_prep.sh
    Step 6. type: cd kernel/kernel-4.9
    This will run the script and set up the Switch default config.

To change settings, type: make menuconfig
    To Build, type: make -j5 tegra-dtstree="../hardware/nvidia/"
    To install modules type: make modules_install

To install you need to mount boot partition, so
    type: mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot; cp arch/arm64/boot/Image.gz /boot/l4t-ubuntu/Image; cp arch/arm64/boot/dts/tegra210-icosa.dtb /boot/l4t-ubuntu/tegra210-icosa.dtb; umount /boot

Attached Files:

globalc likes this.
  19. Drban789

Drban789 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for the thorough guide. I will follow it and report back. Thank you again

ZeroFX likes this.
  20. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    For what it is worth, I would back up the l4t-ubuntu folder on the fat32 partition before I tried this, as if the build doesnt work, you can get back to a working build easier. I just tested it as far as getting it to build. When I tried to use it with my arm32 gentoo build, it booted, but because there is no framebuffer driver, and I cant install the l4t xorg driver, it was useless. I didnt test it on l4t ubuntu, as I wasnt happy with ubuntu(Dont like apt, especially for aarch64 choices). When I am done with my build, it should give more options, such as kodi 18, with working netflix(maybe, via 32bit chroot, not sure about gfx driver stuff though), as I have had that for months using the old linux kernel. As for android, until there is a framebuffer driver, L4T kernel is almost useless, as the blobs are for x11, hince why the first thing on the screen once the console boots is the nvidia logo, which can actually be disabled, with an extra config option in xorg.conf. lol.

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider, May 27, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted