L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Use l4t lakka, it is already set up to run all the retroarch cores. The only issue is the dock doesnt switch video/audio at the moment, but that is only a matter of time, as lakka doesnt use udev, as it is really stripped down, just for retroarch, so the dock doesnt work, without some extra work via ssh, support is there, but you have to switch screens, and sound from command line.

2. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    @bylaws Is there anyway you could release an update that enables bridge configuration? This build does not allow bridging connections and it's missing the module file. Means I can't use the BBA for Dolphin otherwise.

3. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    You can build the kernel yourself, I made a nice script, that will download, and assemble all of the required repositories needed, and basic instructions on how to use the script, and make the make the kernel in the issue posted about how they couldnt build the kernel, on switchroots gitlab. it is a basic script, but it gets the job done. You will also need a linux computer, and a ARM64 crosscompiler. Linaro's prebuilt one will work nicely.

ZachyCatGames likes this.
  4. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    I've got a VM, all I need is the crosscompiler. I would love that script! It would be much appreciated.
    do you also know how to fix this bridging issue/how long the rebuild would take?

5. Refriger8tor

Refriger8tor GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    A kitchen near you.
    Sound over hdmi works on the official dock.

6. Liv2MsTrb8T

Liv2MsTrb8T Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Columbus Ohio

Its Storage dedicated for ram like tasks. It should be where processes go to free up actual ram until they're called upon again.

Feels like You can't go without it on the Switch its the only thing standing between you and stability.

7. zarkon

zarkon Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2018
    Italy
    hi

I installed 1.0, without booting I overwrite 1.1 and deleted boot loader folder and booster to install 1.2, updated and upgraded from terminal, rebooted and everything works except squashfs, I can't install retroarch from the store, what can I do?

thanks.

Inviato dal mio SM-N9600 utilizzando Tapatalk

8. trohn_javolta

trohn_javolta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Ok, gotta try myself, cause this makes no sense to me: On ofw using the 3rd party hub I get 5.1 sound.
    Any special settings you had to adjust to make it work?

9. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    I'll look into it. Still, I did update RA with the latest revision, and there's still no cores listed for some reason, and I doubt that I can just paste the .dll files from my Windows RA installation and have it work that way. Regardless of what I do, no RA means nothing's happening on me trying out this new homebrew solution for the Switch the way it was meant to be. I know standalones exist for Ubuntu, but I can only imagine the many hoops I'd have to jump through doing that considering how each individual emulator is set up.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner, May 24, 2019
  10. _sveiki

_sveiki Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Is there any way to reduce the touch screen's sensitivity?

Typing commands on the terminal is currently a challenge because of this

zarkon likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Just in case you were otherwise unfamiliar then pressing tab autocompletes a lot of things for linux command prompt, and it is actually worth a damn unlike windows a lot of the time. Wildcards are also quite useful. Up and down cycle through command line history. That can sort a lot of things terminal wise.

As for turning down "is touch detected" then no idea what goes for this setup. Does dragging along the screen and lifting back up make things easier for this one?

12. 2Siralv

2Siralv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2018
    Canada
    I had alot of problems i got it to boot woth the stock img then added v1 n then loaded it up n did a apt get and then i added the 1.2 n it worked but then when i got into it and make a swapfile i still have the 500mb partition with the l4t and another partion thats not formated but only can be 7gb its a 128gb sd how do i utilize the full capacoty

13. RiceAlex

RiceAlex Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2019
    China
    Since English is not my native language, I firstly wrote down the Tutorial in Chinese,on Zhihu 知乎.
    If I have time I will translated it to English ,this weekend Perhaps, also I'm inspired by A tutorial which written in English by
    roger allen named Minecraft On Jetson Tk1,you can Google it. My gbatemp level is too low I can't post link here directly.
    If you wanna read my Chinese version Totrial,search this on Zhihu,
    How to play Minecraft Java Edition on Nintendo Switch

the first article should be mine.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And new progress I ve made is that after putting libjinput.so in Java library,the JoyPad Mod works,but it can not access /dev/input and read my controllers.
    If I edit the properties of /dev/input ,it will cause very serious problem ---- I will not be able to access Unity Desktop anymore,after reboot I input password and login,the Unity Crashes and backs to
    login interface.

Pelifut, Neo_ and ZachyCatGames like this.
  14. nicoboss

nicoboss Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2019
    Switzerland
    I'm also extremely interested in having your script because it will finally allow me to compile the kernel with proper SquashFS support required by Anbox to mount the Android RomFS. I'm currently trying to build the kernel with the script used by Lakka-LibreELEC but without much success so far.

15. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    https://gitlab.com/switchroot/switc...31b56145d48f7f354b75fb6a4/l4t_kernel_prep.txt

You can get my script for putting the required files to build at that link.
    1. Rename the l4t_kernel_prep.txt l4t_kernel_prep.sh
    2. type: into terminal: chmod +x l4t_kernel_prep.sh
    3. type: ./l4t_kernel_prep.sh <Compiler String> eg. aarch64-linux-gnu-
    4. type: cd kernel/kernel-4.9
    5. To configure type: ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=<Compiler String, same as above> make menuconfig
    6. To build type: ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=<Compiler String, same as above> make -j<number of cpu cores +1> tegra-dtstree="../hardware/nvidia/"

From there, the kernel, device tree, and modules will be built, but you still need to replace the kernel Image and dts file that comes with L4T Ubuntu with the one you just built, and patch the new modules into initramfs, and possibly install them in the root image as well. I havnt had much success getting my build to boot past the backlight, but I havnt had much time to mess with it.

globalc, klear, Deathscreton and 4 others like this.
  16. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    Apart from the emulators. How are the Linux games in this OS ?, Steam games and others.

17. Refriger8tor

Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    A kitchen near you.
    Steam doesn't run

18. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    other game native from linux?

19. Refriger8tor

Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    A kitchen near you.
    The Switch has a type of CPU called ARM64 more similar to the one in your phone than in a desktop or laptop. Because of that many programs aren't designed with it in mind or the ability to run. I believe that there is a way to run such programs regardless but with a big hit to performance, speed, etc.

20. Gavin_Darkglider

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Steam is pre compiled, so unless there is an arm64 version of steam, chances are it wont work. I do know that Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena/Team Arena, and Doom3 all work, as well as the older id games, but their engines have been ported to everything at some point. None of them support joysticks natively though, so you need an actual keyboard and mouse to play them. I am sure that there are many more games in the linux game library that would also work. It would be cool to get Unreal Tournament to work, but that was never open source, so it only works on old versions of linux now. :(