L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I've been this video and I'm wondering if there are native capabilities for the gamecube controller to play these games. Do you know anything about it?

Do you think I can improve the performance to play Zelda without any type of Lag or interruption in the sound section ?. Because if so, it's great

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How do I get this through USB-HDD? and make a clean installation?

tansoftware

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@bylaws
I noticed that the latest Lakka L4T release supports the Nintendo Switch's Joycons in wired mode (Connected Mode). This is something we've been lacking in Ubuntu L4T. On the other hand Lakka L4T does not support wireless joycon connections via bluetooth.

I was wonder if you'd like to collaborate with the Lakka L4T's team to so that they get bluetooth support on Lakka L4T and we get wired support on Ubuntu L4T. Just a suggestion.

Thanks.

Reactions: Neo_

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@bylaws
I noticed that the latest Lakka L4T release supports the Nintendo Switch's Joycons in wired mode (Connected Mode). This is something we've been lacking in Ubuntu L4T. On the other hand Lakka L4T does not support wireless joycon connections via bluetooth.

I was wonder if you'd like to collaborate with the Lakka L4T's team to so that they get bluetooth support on Lakka L4T and we get wired support on Ubuntu L4T. Just a suggestion.

Thanks.
The wired joycon drivers break bluetooth, that’s why they aren’t in Ubuntu and why bluetooth doesn’t work in Lakka

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean (for example):

400GB SD Card
- 50GB L4T Linux (ext4) -- G: Drive
- 350GB Switch DATA and Ubuntu DATA (500MB) (FAT32) -- F: Drive

And now I can boot L4T and Switch with one payload (Hekate)? But why do I have exFAT on my switch SD Card? Isn't it better for bigger files?
Yeah something like that except try to make sure the 500mb partition stays on top just in case. Exfat is good for bigger files but Nintendo has glitchy exfat drivers that delete errored out files instead of repairing also most of the time boot partitions are fat32 anyways

I would recommend setting hekate to auto boot Linux or lakka and then using argon nx to dualboot so when you boot your switch you can choose which one you want to boot. Mine is set up to auto boot atmosphere with argon and have hekate as a second option. To do that you copy whatever payload you want to the root of argon and rename it to payload.bin. you can select the other option by holding down minus for 3 seconds before argon starts

Do you think I can improve the performance to play Zelda without any type of Lag or interruption in the sound section ?. Because if so, it's great

You can only use a USB drive docked. Sound is very tricky to get right but there's a audio stretching option you can check out to fix the sound up a little bit more

Last edited by pietempgba,
Reactions: Imancol and MushCow

trohn_javolta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I would recommend setting hekate to auto boot Linux or lakka and then using argon nx to dualboot so when you boot your switch you can choose which one you want to boot.

I didn't know of argon. So can it be set up to always "fire" upon reboot? Cause right now in atmosphere I can use kosmos toolbox to reboot to l4t ubuntu but in l4t ubuntu I have no way to get back to atmosphere without using cable + pc/phone and sending the payload.

bylaws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is it bad to OC ubuntu right now?
i haven't been keeping up with everything but i saw you can boost it to 2.0 or something like that
not really, but doing any oc will lower battery lifespan
I noticed 2 things trying this out and wonder if these things are known:

• The touch input seems pretty inacurate for me, maybe because I have a screen protector on.
So I connected my logitech smart keyboard via bluetooth which worked.
  • But now I noticed that I cannot select certain things...
    Like opening system settings works, but in there I cannot select anything with mouse cursor.
    If I hit tab it highlights the options and I can get into them but now I cannot move, minimize, enlarge or close the system settings window anymore :(
    Same in appstore: I can search for apps but I cannot select them..

Are these known bugs or does it just happen to me? Or do I have to change some bt settings for my keyboard to fix it?
1. known
2. you can try rebooting
got wired pro controller to work with dolphin not sure how to setup bluetooth

used this link:

https://github.com/FrotBot/SwitchProConLinuxUSB/blob/master/README.md
you can just sync via bt normally
@bylaws is there a way to let display on while docked? So I can use my official dock as hub only, using an extension cable.
in settings you can enable it

So just to be sure, you did delete the boot folder and boot.scr file, right?
I'm not sure if it was originally under the 1.2 edit, but it caught my eye this morning and I'm about to check if it worked now.

What sd cards are you using by the way? The Samsung EVO 64gb doesn't seem to work, at least for me.
yup, my Evo 32gb works fine so not sure.
I think there's an issue with fast cards, so it probably will be a wait for 1.3. None of mine are working so far.
i don't think its fast cards, its likely specific sds or switches
just a few question.

What is the risk of running ubuntu. I heard about previous versions had a high risk of screen burn.

If i run ubuntu do i need to keep the switch always in sleep mode after use and use a payload to boot up ubuntu if it turns off.

Finally, is running ubuntu forcing the switch to overclock at all times or when running things specifically. I just wanted to use ubuntu to watch youtube and anime and stuff maybe play some web browser games. How bad is the battery drain?

Is there any way to play andriod games via emulator on ubuntu?

If anyone can answer these questions i would appreciate it.
battery drain isnt too bad.
YouTube will train worse though because it doesn't use hw accel.
burn in is impossible on most lcd screens
So it's being said that you'd have to resync the BT controllers when switching between this and Horizon because of how the sync is OS-dependent. Would reading the NAND for BT information upon boot be of any use?
its complicated, its encrypted
L4T how to use nouveau driver?
you can't
Are there plans to fix otg?
there are *plans* to fix everything

D

Deleted User

i actually couldnt do the bt sync via gui i even recorded it. gonna try the cmd over weekend tho

I also think that wired driver is spot on for the record

can anyone help me make hangover or winmugen/linmugen work?

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
burn in is impossible on most lcd screens
Not true. LCD screens do burn in. Image persistence is a type of burn in that is not supposed to be permanent but I've personally experienced real burn in on an LCD and know a couple of people that have had the same issue.

I'm about to buy a keyboard and mouse, should I go for USB wired or USB wireless with a dongle
Need an answer asap lol
Or you could get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Akdv8907

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm wondering about squashfs support. It says that it should work in the OP, but I keep coming across problems trying to mount or mksquashfs.

When i enter the following command it says its not set

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i squash

# CONFIG_SQUASHFS is not set

Ive researched, and it seems this would need a kernel rebuild with the config set.
Can anyone confirm this to be true. the most experience I have with linux is thus far been with this setup on the switch. but I've been tinkering and learning as I go. Any info would be appreciated

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Ive researched, and it seems this would need a kernel rebuild with the config set.
Can anyone confirm this to be true. the most experience I have with linux is thus far been with this setup on the switch. but I've been tinkering and learning as I go. Any info would be appreciated

The best I can confirm is that I'm also having problems and it looks like better support is needed.
Bylaws has been good to us with replies so I hope he touches on your message

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.