L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. vulcanikus

vulcanikus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2013
    Germany
    Hi there so i just installed Ubuntu on my 250gb SD Card and now I wanted to make another partition that has fat32 so I can use my switch stuff with the same card, but it only lets me format that partition with ntfs or exfat. Is there any way to get it formated to fat32?

2. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    But if you have it for GameCube and Wii, which are more powerful than Ps2 ?.

3. ReavoEnd

ReavoEnd Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2018
    United States
    If you're using Windows and its standard partition management tools, FAT32 has a (Windows-imposed) size limit of 32GB. Anything larger than that defaults to ExFAT unless you use a 3rd-party partition manager.

On Windows, I use Paragon Partition Manager - the free version works fine. If you have a different Linux machine to manage the SD card, gparted works great.

Just a tip: You might want to only resize the first partition (which is created as FAT32) as opposed to creating another FAT32 partition after the ext4 partition (which exists for running L4T).

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Ok. So I got my 128GB SD working. It is better (but still not great xd). The problem being that I use it for switch as storage for HOS, so I kinda can't use it for the linux. So I'd like to ask. What SD speed do you guys (and @bylaws) suggest? *quietly hoping for emmc install in the future*

Last edited by Kubas_inko, May 7, 2019
    achoissoumsaco likes this.
  5. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    PS2 emulators aren’t as well optimized as dolphin, the PS2 is also more complicated which makes it harder to emulate

(also pcsx2 doesn’t have an aarch64 version)

6. ReavoEnd

ReavoEnd Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2018
    United States
    Are there any plans to patch up the Wi-Fi driver? Currently, connectivity is pretty spotty. 1 out of every 5 times I turn to use L4T, the network has mysteriously disconnected and I have to manually reconnect it. That works fine... Until it disconnects again.

I have tested multiple different networks, same result. Also, all the different remote desktop applications I've tried eventually stall and freeze up. I'm guessing this has to do with Wi-Fi as well.

7. Mat37

Mat37 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Does it matter ?
    I reflashed and it does work now. Thank you ^^

8. specht

specht GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2008
    Canada
    Not gonna lie, I kinda want to try using the right joy-con and some Wii sensor bars for rudimentary 6DOF head-tracking with Labo VR.

DollyWhipDoll and kevandkkim like this.
  9. VibrantSubbed

VibrantSubbed Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2019
    Australia
    Hey, I'm actually like brand new to gbatemp so sorry if I'm like, replying this wrong but I'm actually really stuck as whenever I boot L4T (with following the exact same instructions), the screen like, turns black then goes to a backlit screen, so I wait even half an hour and nothing has changed

10. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    Have you tested if you're card isn't fake ? use it with h2testw

11. VibrantSubbed

VibrantSubbed Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2019
    Australia
    It's not fake, but I see what you meant

12. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Apart from retroarch what is everyone doing with this? Any cool programs or games?

13. Liv2MsTrb8T

Liv2MsTrb8T Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Columbus Ohio
    It's installable from the official repos (2.79)
    Modeling is perfectly fine using an actual Keyboard/Mouse or Hotkey Devices. With proper setup + RadialMenu or Pie Menus with the joycons would be amazing, you could make a game out of it. I ordered something special just for this.
    Small Simulations/Particle effects are possible but why?
    No tegra enabled out of the box.

Also is it just me or is xfce the best DE for this? I've found so many quick was to navigate the UI using joycons and workspaces.
    It'd be perfect but the touch screen is reversed on the X and Y axis.

Gamedev
    Media server
    Browsing
    Spying
    My chrome extensions give me VoIP, email text messages (Don't want though)

I'm abusing the 5g wifi and torrenting/Darknet on my friends/family's connections. They THINK i'm playing games ....BUT IM NOT

Last edited by Liv2MsTrb8T, May 7, 2019
  14. Refriger8tor

Refriger8tor GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    A kitchen near you.
    I installed FBreader to use the Switch as an ereader.
    I set up my ExpressVPN profile on OpenVPN, then installed QBittorrent, so I can use it to download any torrents I want. (I can elaborate on getting the VPN set up if anybody needs help)
    I installed GIMP for image editing.
    I installed Clang, Java, Python, Rust, and Javascript, then pimped out Vim for code development.
    USB printing and scanning work.
    I installed an app for texting through Google Messages and another for GroupMe (I'll be posting more about these later).

Neo_, Liv2MsTrb8T and Centergaming like this.
  15. Refriger8tor

Refriger8tor GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    A kitchen near you.
    I made an arm64 build of chrisknepper's unofficial Google Messages client. This will allow you to send and receive your texts on the Switch. This app also saves a lot of CPU and memory resources as opposed to having a web browser up all the time to run Google Messages. It also supports notification sounds and preview notifications.

To install, open Terminal and then enter the following:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt-get install git
    git clone https://github.com/jjhaywor/android-messages-desktop-arm64
    mv android-messages-desktop-arm64/Messages.AppImage ~/Desktop/

Now on your desktop there will be a file called Messages.AppImage that will launch when you double click (or tap).
    Be sure to tap the "Remember this computer" switch under the QR code.
    On your phone, open Google Messages, tap the three vertical dots in the top right corner, then tap "Messages for web"
    Hit "QR code scanner"
    Point your phone at the QR code and then you should be good to go.

Optionally to give an icon to the AppImage you can right click it, hit "Properties", and then just click the default icon to open the file browser. From there you can pick any picture you want, or the one that I provided in the android-messages-desktop-arm64 folder.

Lmk if you have any questions or if you run into any errors.

Neo_, hippy dave and Centergaming like this.
  16. tansoftware

tansoftware Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2019
    Canada
    @bylaws
    I tested your most recent update v1.02 and I noticed an immediate slowdown in almost all of ubuntu's activities, whether it's downloading a file, upgrading / updating repos, writing / reading from disk. This wasn't the case with your earlier version.

Has anything changed in the way SD Cards are accessed ? Could the CPU have defaulted to a slow setting following the update ?

I liked how it performed with v1.01, but now with v1.02 its extremely slow.

Centergaming likes this.
  17. achoissoumsaco

achoissoumsaco Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2019
    Brazil
    Does anyone know if there's a homebrew that allows me to load Hekate? As a SX OS user, it gets on my nerves having to turn off my switch and then turn it on, enter in the SX menu to load hekate.

(Sorry about my english)

18. monokin1114

monokin1114 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2019
    Canada

Switch too atmosphere/Kosmos. Then you can reboot to payload

achoissoumsaco likes this.
  19. achoissoumsaco

achoissoumsaco Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2019