L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
how is possible to brick it ? try with bridging pins manually like before you install autoRCM and tell how is

also check your usbc cable and switch connector is it ok

It was in autoRCM mode, why would it not be in autorcm anymore? Usb cable is fine, tested with a phone. Switch dock also lights up once when plugging the switch so the conector is working. It just wont boot up anymore.

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds to me that you're still in RCM, and the battery doesn't charge/charges astronomically slow while in RCM which is why you think that it's bricked. I don't know how L4T would possibly brick your system since it doesn't touch your NAND and the cpu/gpu clocks, etc are within limits.

Xolono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It was in autoRCM mode, why would it not be in autorcm anymore? Usb cable is fine, tested with a phone. Switch dock also lights up once when plugging the switch so the conector is working. It just wont boot up anymore.
What I normally do when my switch has the same issue as you, do a complete turn off. Boot into RCM, send the hekate payload, the quickly plug your switch into the mains.

Fragmon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have the problem that i load L4T and the switch restart and get into rcm mode. What can i do? I use Etcher for the image.

BocuD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been toying with ishiiruka and I got new super mario bros wii running at 60 fps O.o
Thats in game though, the world map is around 40, but damn we're getting close
Wonder if it will always run at full speed at 2.0GHz

Waltee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a long shot but has anyone managed to get this dual booting with SXOS and Emunand (hidden partition)?

If so how did you go about doing it?

Just in case anyone else was wondering, this IS possible. There might be easier ways to do it than how I did, but it's up and running and that's all that matters to me.

I use Fat32 on my SD card on SXOS so I'm not entirely sure if it would be easier or harder without it.

An extremely brief tutorial on how I did it:

1. Use a new SD card to set up L4T as the instructions state.
2. Once correctly set up and confirmed working, plug both SD cards into a Linux system with Gparted/Gparted Live CD (I used Oracle VM running Gparted Live CD).
3. Resize/Shrink the Fat32 partition to make sure I have at least 8gb of unallocated space at the END of the partition table.
4. Copy the ext4 partition into the previously created unallocated space.
5. Finally, copy the files from the Fat32 partition from the SD in step 1 into the Fat32 partition on your SD card with CFW/Emunand already on it.

The above process can take some time, mine took around 2 hours to complete as I have a 400gb card so a lot of data had to be moved. But everything is working flawlessly as of now and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Waltee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems sd incompatible, wait for future updates.

I wasn't able to set up a Wireless connection when I initially installed this (I wasn't in an area that had a wireless connection) - but now I can't seem to select a Wifi connection from the drop down once I'm booted into Linux.

Is there any fix to this or way around this? I've rebooted into the Linux and it finds several of my wireless access points, but tapping/clicking on them doesn't seem to do anything.

D

Deleted User

I wasn't able to set up a Wireless connection when I initially installed this (I wasn't in an area that had a wireless connection) - but now I can't seem to select a Wifi connection from the drop down once I'm booted into Linux.

Is there any fix to this or way around this? I've rebooted into the Linux and it finds several of my wireless access points, but tapping/clicking on them doesn't seem to do anything.
Use a mouse in docked mode, or a stylus for portable mode. Touch seems very finicky with fingers due to the icons being so small.

burt111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What other apps, progs people using other then Kodi, Dolphin please?

Anyone got an Android emulator working?

I know Android is imminnent on Switch

@bylaws would you know when Android Switch is coming please?
Psx emulator psp In 4K Kodi retroarch open source games like openrct2 so far

hexdump

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Someone asked about installing retropie on the switch some post ago. Is this possible? If not is there any way to install something like this (I can't stand retroarch) to run at least 8 bit emulators?

Cheers!

spenat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Thank you all who tried to help me - eventually got a new MicroSD card and every previous problem was sorted out thanks to this.

I do have one issue with the Dolphin (L4T is updated to 1.1): I am unable to set my right joycon stick, it just doesm't do anything, when I move with the stick in controls settings. Left joycon stick works absolutely fine.

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had same issue when I was trying to load Arch Linux on my Switch then I forgot that it was in RCM mode and it died. I was able to charge it up after pressing power button for awhile.
then leave it charging then I was able to boot it back up. everything is ok.

I will leave it charging once again for a couple of hours, will let you guys know.

burt111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@burt111 excuse me, using that will we be able to use retropie and all their emulators on the switch with latest l4t release?.

Cheers.
Not all work if you can’t get cores to show on retroarch you might need the so files from the Lakka switch release sadly built in core downloader is broke bc your running aarch64

Kolyasisan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Strangely, can't get it to boot on my switch. The installer never shows, the screen is just completely black. Tried multiple times with different image burning tools, ensured to give it plenty of time to boot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1