L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Is getting sleep to work, more getting input from power button or actually sending it into 'sleep' mode?
When put my switch into lock mode it turns of the screen and acts dormant and i can touch it again to wake it.
Can't we just set the press of the power button to do that?

BTW: Could somebody help me with sending audio through HDMI. External speakers work but HDMI doesn't. Is it even supported?

Last edited by Qubarf,

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone explain how can i start Ishiiruka Build (linux)? THX
Check the ~/Ishiiruka/Data/ folder for a file named "ishiiruka.desktop" and copy it to the desktop. Then double click to start.

Anyone else know how to launch Ishiiruka. I'm basically a technophobe when it comes to using Linux.
See above.

Is there any way to "do right click" using touch? Long press doesn't work.
Wondering this too.

So I got Dolphin up and running. Performance isn't that great, but I guess it's a start.
Look a few pages back for how to install Ishiiruka Dolphin. It works much better with Vulkan graphics which will give a performance boost.

Is getting sleep to work, more getting input from power button or actually sending it into 'sleep' mode?
When put my switch into lock mode it turns of the screen and acts dormant and i can touch it again to wake it.

BTW: Could somebody help me with sending audio through HDMI. External speakers work but HDMI doesn't. Is it even supported?
Sleep mode doesn't work at the moment. Also HDMI audio should work out of the box.

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we play steam games on this using the Linux steam client?

No, the client is for x86. The Switch is running arm64.
I also tried the steam link client, since it's available for raspberry pi. Unfortunally the only package I found was build for armhf.

Last edited by Taorn,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very nice. I have some questions though.

Do you have to have a separate SD card, or can you use the same one used for Horizon but with separate partitions (ext4 for Linux, fat32 for Horizon)? If the latter, can Linux access the fat32 partition? Was wondering if it would be possible to be able to tell each OS (Atmoshere CFW Horizon and Linux) to reboot to the other, where it makes a note of what OS to boot into, then reboots to RCM to autoboot to the selected OS. That way folks wouldn't have to manually go through Hekate to select where to go. I know with the Atmosphere CFW and with the Kosmos Toolbox, you can select from different Kekate profiles on reboot (straight into Hekate, stock Horizon, CFW Horizon, etc). If such a thing could be done with this Linux build, then that would be perfect.
You can resize your FAT32 partition with gparted (from a Live Linux for example), create an EXT4 partition and throw the L4T stuff on it.
Still I'd highly appreciate it as well if we could warmboot back to a payload (like hekate or Argon) from L4T.
You can also use this to fix RTC https://github.com/thedax/NX-ntpc
Interesting.
This makes me think if something like autostarting tasks can be implemented into Atmo ... like syncing the clock.

@bylaws Thx for your amazing work. This goes out to you and your team.

If you could ever manage to implement a way to warmboot back to a payload like we can in Horizon that would be nothing but amazing. :)

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

burt111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone wanna test retroarch with goldeneye and see how it plays ;)
Worked fine for me solid framerate

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

anyone tried 3ds emulator with this?

gonna look for 16GB microsd for this, then i'll no longer need to bring my windows tablet to work. switch + dock will be enough hahaha
I don't think there is an ARM build for Citra
It will build from source but spits out a error when launching saying the gpu doesn’t support OpenGL 3.3

burt111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got Dolphin up and running. Performance isn't that great, but I guess it's a start.

Hmmm .... now to figure out how to encrypt the ext4 partition / linux file system after having it already installed. I imagine a headache is awaiting me.

Yes, this worked for me. I also do not have the time sync issue anymore after upgrading to the latest version. Horizon's time doesn't get set to far in the future anymore and both Linux and the date/time in Horizon is correct.
Try ishiiruka much better performance

You have to manually select it in the top corner click the volume bar to open the sound menu when you add a new speaker like I did when connecting a ps4 controller bc of the headphone jack it switches the audio output

Xolono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After testing it more tracks it's playable, but not all are at full-speed, of 5 retro tracks I tested, they seem to run flawlessly.
I also haven't changed the Linux clock speed at all, so with a bit of a boost it should run better
FPS seems to hover around 24-30 fps (with 30 FPS being full speed)

https://i.ibb.co/cDByv90/IMG-20190430-140921.jpg

The 30 FPS code below is for the NTSC version of the game.
004250D4 00000002
0029FD69 00000002

Edit: I was running this docked in 1024x720p and the game in Native res.
I can try out some other games if you'd like.

Last edited by Xolono,

burt111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After testing it more tracks it's playable, but not all are at full-speed, of 5 retro tracks I tested, they seem to run flawlessly.
I also haven't changed the Linux clock speed at all, so with a bit of a boost it should run better
FPS seems to hover around 24-30 fps (with 30 FPS being full speed)

https://i.ibb.co/cDByv90/IMG-20190430-140921.jpg

The 30 FPS code below is for the NTSC version of the game.
004250D4 00000002
0029FD69 00000002
Switching your switch to 720 res also gives a small performance boost

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Does touchscreen work well for drawing things with stylus? Would be kinda cool to use my Switch for digital drawing on the go .o.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: