L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, i've made some basic mappings to use the joycons as a mouse on L4T Ubuntu 3.0 since the previous mappings do not work with the new joycon driver. My mappings are to be used with xorg. To install xorg joystick: sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-joystick. After installing you extract the zip file and move 50-joystick.conf to usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (do it with sudo mv) and then you either reboot or log out and log in again. The mappings are as follow: Left click mouse is B , Right click is A, L and R control volume, ZR and ZL control brightness, Screenshot button enables or disables mouse mode , Home button is Escape, Plus button is enter, Minus button is back.

That's it. This should make most DE pretty usable on switch (like cinnamon which doesn't work well with touchscreen) and help with things like dolphin standalone since that doesn't have a gamepad interface.

Also many thanks to gavin_darkglider and the rest of the switchroot team for giving us an amazing linux experience on switch!
This works great. Thanks a lot. Any recommendations for lighter DEs? The default is a tiny bit laggy on my Evo Select.

I compiled the Ishiiruka and installed the dependencies and system updates. Then I rebooted and my wifi went nuts, won't connect to AP. Hekate warned that I'm missing sleep libraries. My battery percentage has been stuck at 33% this whole time even though it's full. The touch screen needs to be calibrated better to work properly. Plugging in my USB mouse didn't even turn on the lazer. I've barely used this thing for an hour and the whole thing feels unraveled. Why does Linux always do this to me?!? If at least the USB C port was working I'd have a mouse, keyboard and external storage. That would be awesome. Haven't tested wifi direct yet. Is Citra emu possible?
I haven't had any issues with WiFi so I can't help you there. But it's not recommended to use Ishiiruka anymore. Stock Dolphin is just as good/better. Use Vulkan and force fullscreen.

To fix the Hekate message just copy the latest release's bootloader folder to the root of the FAT32 partition on the L4T SD. Be sure to keep the ini file from the ini folder.

The battery percentage is wacky because it's averaging the Switch's battery and both Joy Cons batteries, and the Joy Con batteries don't report their percentages accurately. If you click on the battery icon you'll see 3 batteries listed. Your Switch battery is the one in the middle that doesn't report as empty.

I haven't had any issues with the touchscreen's calibration. The only issue is that my fingers are too big for a desktop environment that was designed to be used with a mouse. Try using the above config to activate the Joy Con mouse and it'll make your experience 10x better.

USB devices only work when connected to the dock and only while the Switch itself is docked. The USB C port at the bottom of the Switch doesn't work as a USB port. Only the official dock and power brick are supported.

Last edited by stick267,
Reactions: tabzer

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone, i've made some basic mappings to use the joycons as a mouse on L4T Ubuntu 3.0 since the previous mappings do not work with the new joycon driver. My mappings are to be used with xorg. To install xorg joystick: sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-joystick. After installing you extract the zip file and move 50-joystick.conf to usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (do it with sudo mv) and then you either reboot or log out and log in again. The mappings are as follow: Left click mouse is B , Right click is A, L and R control volume, ZR and ZL control brightness, Screenshot button enables or disables mouse mode , Home button is Escape, Plus button is enter, Minus button is back.

That's it. This should make most DE pretty usable on switch (like cinnamon which doesn't work well with touchscreen) and help with things like dolphin standalone since that doesn't have a gamepad interface.

Also many thanks to gavin_darkglider and the rest of the switchroot team for giving us an amazing linux experience on switch!

Sorry for me being a noob, but could you explain a little bit more in depth how to move the file using sudo mv? Pretty please

Last edited by DaniPoo,

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for me being a noob, but could you explain a little bit more in depth how to move the file using sudo mv
Save and unzip that file to your Downloads folder. Then open terminal and type:

sudo mv '/home/USERNAME/Downloads/50-joystick.conf' '/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d'

Replace "USERNAME" with the username of your L4T install. Hit enter and it will ask for your password. Type it and hit enter again and that's it. You won't see any cursor activity when you type your password. After that just reboot and your Joy Cons will work as mouse/keyboard.

Last edited by stick267,

coolstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried to upgrade this image from 18.04 to 19.10 and noticed that while it was quite usable docked on 19.10, undocked the display kept flipping every 3 seconds because the NVIDIA driver/Xorg kept setting a NULL mode and then mode switching at different rotations

I know the upgrade to 19.10 isn't really supported.... however I noticed when I re-did the SD card with a fresh 18.04 image, the same glitch happens on the login screen on the stock 18.04 image if auto-login is disabled. There seems to be something that fixes it after the user logs in, but clearly that doesn't seem to stay around if the system is upgraded to 19.10 (and it the bug still is present on 18.04's login screen)

upload_2020-3-6_10-20-0.png

This is the syslog output (it's identical between 19.10 before/after login, or on 18.04's login screen)

Feranthur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This works great. Thanks a lot. Any recommendations for lighter DEs? The default is a tiny bit laggy on my Evo Select.

I haven't had any issues with WiFi so I can't help you there. But it's not recommended to use Ishiiruka anymore. Stock Dolphin is just as good/better. Use Vulkan and force fullscreen.

To fix the Hekate message just copy the latest release's bootloader folder to the root of the FAT32 partition on the L4T SD. Be sure to keep the ini file from the ini folder.

The battery percentage is wacky because it's averaging the Switch's battery and both Joy Cons batteries, and the Joy Con batteries don't report their percentages accurately. If you click on the battery icon you'll see 3 batteries listed. Your Switch battery is the one in the middle that doesn't report as empty.

I haven't had any issues with the touchscreen's calibration. The only issue is that my fingers are too big for a desktop environment that was designed to be used with a mouse. Try using the above config to activate the Joy Con mouse and it'll make your experience 10x better.

USB devices only work when connected to the dock and only while the Switch itself is docked. The USB C port at the bottom of the Switch doesn't work as a USB port. Only the official dock and power brick are supported.

Yeah, you can use LXDE for a very light DE (it's the most lightweight one afaik). I personally like using Cinnamon but the touchscreen is buggy there so using joycons as a mouse is a must. Gnome also works on switch and has the big advantage of displaying the battery correctly, but is heavier than unity unfortunately.

coolstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the main issue has to do with Gnome being broken. Switching from Unity to Gnome on Ubuntu 18.04 shows the same broken behavior that I saw on 19.10 (with the internal display constantly blanking/rotating in handheld)

Login screen issues seem to be for the same reason as well. Switching from gdm3 to lightdm (still on Ubuntu 18.04) fixed the glitchyness on the login screen as well.

Going to test this on 18.04 for a bit before I dare upgrading to 19.10 again

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried to upgrade this image from 18.04 to 19.10 and noticed that while it was quite usable docked on 19.10, undocked the display kept flipping every 3 seconds because the NVIDIA driver/Xorg kept setting a NULL mode and then mode switching at different rotations

I know the upgrade to 19.10 isn't really supported.... however I noticed when I re-did the SD card with a fresh 18.04 image, the same glitch happens on the login screen on the stock 18.04 image if auto-login is disabled. There seems to be something that fixes it after the user logs in, but clearly that doesn't seem to stay around if the system is upgraded to 19.10 (and it the bug still is present on 18.04's login screen)

View attachment 198748

This is the syslog output (it's identical between 19.10 before/after login, or on 18.04's login screen)
It’s (probably) the automatic rotation stuff, it’s super sensitive, you can get it to happen on 18.04 in the “Ubuntu”/Gnome desktop environment as well.

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
hey there, anyone having trouble with bluetooth devices in the latest 3.00?

i have a bluetooth headset that used to work well with 2.00 but not, it connects but doesn't give me any sound

Reactions: The Official GMan

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The top bar with the power button and the button to show on screen keyboard broke after my first reboot. Any way to fix without reflashing?

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you enable Vulkan support in Ishiiruka.
It runs fine but the only option under Graphics Backend I can select is OpenGL
Thanks.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How do you enable Vulkan support in Ishiiruka.
It runs fine but the only option under Graphics Backend I can select is OpenGL
Thanks.

fpxf

Trophies
XP
Country
China
After install this OS, then change to Atomosphere-NX or OFW, Joy-Con can not be connected with bluetooth. Is this have some impact for OFW or CFW Joy-con compare?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back