L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't ask question about updates, it is ok to use apt upgrade any way. I mean that original image could be smaller if no office installed.
So why you haven't reformat boot partition to make it work in all OSs? Is there any possible issues if I did that?

PS1: Touch screen dies at random time as before, so it is not fixed.
PS2: TV mode sometimes stops working and only internal screen enabled, so "dock handler fixes" also not complete.
PS3: Thanks for keeping this project alive. And it is shame that Nvidia is lazy to make new kernels release for L4T.
1. Touchscreen is iffy between consoles. It is becoming more appearant since I didnt really have issues, but some are having issues with it after waking from sleep, and when removing from dock.So it is a known issue on discord, where all of the interesting stuff happens with this.
2 Not sure what you mean by tv mode sometimes stops working need more detail before I can look into it.
3. No problem, I wasnt trying to, as my main focus has been my gentoo port, and the arch port.

I do not understand why both with Lakka and L4T do not see me the wifi card I am wrong or one of those switches that does not digest these things I state that everything works in normal and mod mode so I would exclude the broken wifi since in normal and mod it sees me quietly everything and retroarch on the mod works help me I'm going crazy I changed microsd as well but from the exact same problem formatted in fat32
Not sure what the issue is there, hit me up on discord, and I will help you build a kernel with the driver they are using in pie for you to test.

...which has an x86-based processor, not ARM like what's on the Switch.

The closest you're getting to MUGEN on Switch is via streaming.
Might be possible..... if hwdecoder is still working on the switch. Moonlight-qt now has support for jetson nano decoders, which is what the switch is using, using the jetson-ffmpeg project. :)
https://github.com/jocover/jetson-ffmpeg/pull/22
https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/commit/f0119b1231131f0f84966ef7ab029f909eca5903

just one of the many things I helped get done. real funny thing is I have never used moonlight. lol.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch opens for 10 seconds and closes immediately after. The window never opens up, and this is after yours truly tried to set the Video plugin to Vulkan, uninstalled RetroArch, deleted the .cfg file in the /etc folder, and then re-installed RetroArch. And then I remember this being a problem with this homebrew solution when I tried the Noob-Ffiendly L4T-Ubuntu build months ago.

What's the definitive way to uninstall RetroArch and then reinstall it to where it'll at least boot up properly?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch opens for 10 seconds and closes immediately after. The window never opens up, and this is after yours truly tried to set the Video plugin to Vulkan, uninstalled RetroArch, deleted the .cfg file in the /etc folder, and then re-installed RetroArch. And then I remember this being a problem with this homebrew solution when I tried the Noob-Ffiendly L4T-Ubuntu build months ago.

What's the definitive way to uninstall RetroArch and then reinstall it to where it'll at least boot up properly?
apt remove all the retroarch and libretro packages, and delete ~/.config/retroarch.
Then compile retroarch from source (compiling it yourself fixes some issues such as vulkan not working), then you can grab all the cores by either doing “sudo apt install libretro-*” (note: some of the cores on apt are super outdated, but is fast and easy) or using libretro super to compile them all (note: this takes half an eternity and a few cores will fail to build, but you’ll have up to date versions of the cores)

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been hearing repeated mentions of how USB OTG is not working, most likely due to a missing driver that isn't provided. Could I help out with this, such as trying to find similar devices that could contain that missing driver (including other single-board computers and portable devices using similar chipsets), or is that something that has to be provided from Nvidia (in which case if such drivers are private, nothing can be done)?

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 2 reasons it doesnt work.... number 1, we dont know how to turn the charger into power out mode, and we dont know how to detect otg adapters with the usb-c implementation on the switch. Assuming someone could figure out how Hos does it, we can probably implement support. It just isnt a huge deal, as it works on dock.

rockraven500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@Worldblender I was actually just about to ask about this. I am trying to plug something usbc/usbc into my switch, but I'm not sure if that's covered under the OTG umbrella. It's a QMK powered keyboard https://olkb.com/planck that I want to flash with new software. If any information could be offered on this, that would be great. I'm explicitly trying to do this as a portable solution, so docking is not an option.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes that is covered under the otg umbrella as you say. otg pulls down power delivery through resistors to ground. This triggers an interrupt, that changes xusb to host mode, and turns on power output. We know how to switch, as we do that on the dock already.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not. it isnt a huge priority to us. it is on the list of things to do, but it is somewhere after release fully working android pie. And I am still trying to get ubuntu fully updated.

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider,

rockraven500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well that's a shame as it's the only reason for me setting this up on my switch. Thank you for the information though. Might you have any idea how I might be able to circumvent this? A pocket size portable dock or bluetooth/usb adapter maybe?

Edit: Providing a dock doesn't actually require an external display, which I believe is the case, would something like the genki dock provide me with the connectivity I'm looking for?

Last edited by rockraven500,

rockraven500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If it's the official dock hardware that will mean it needs the original switch charger plugged into it, so I'd have to have that with me as well. Will the dock act a hub if it's unpowered? Would enough power be given if I instead plugged it into a power adapter or pc, or is that a power failure?

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, and any usb option you might be able to get to work, will require a powersupply of its own, so the switch dock is just useful. Technically, if you dont care about device mode, you can force the port into host mode, and then it provide devices that are powered, and it should theoretically work.

rockraven500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So if that's the case that I should be able to force it to work, what I would need is: A usbc/usba cable, a small hub with micro usb power, micro/usba cable, and a way to force host mode? I'm a little unclear on modes here. What I'm looking to do is flash firmware to a device, would this setup be inhibited if I arranged this hardware? Also, for all this, is it a limitation of the software and port itself? If I got a usb hub to connect over bluetooth, would I see the same limitation? Also, why don't thirdparty docks work?

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think the make a device like that that breaks out a usb hub via bluetooth. and dts stuff means you need to rebuild the kernel, and then device mode wont work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1