L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

logonav.png

Lakka Switch, L4T edition
I am proud to finally release the L4T version of Lakka Switch!
New kernel, new logo, new drivers, audio... everything is fresh and clean.

Did I mention Rayman 3 was full speed on Dolphin? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

General system updates
  • New Linux kernel and underlying operating system, based on Linux4Tegra and Jetson Nano drivers
    • mainline kernel has been deprecated
    • system features should now be on par with the L4T Ubuntu distribution, except for dock support
    • Bluetooth was lost in the battle and needs some rest to come back stronger
  • aarch64 is now the default and mainly supported architecture
    • arm has been deprecated since L4T doesn't support it
  • New logo made with the help of jaames and the R:S community
New features and improvements
  • Audio now works through the internal speakers and headphones
  • The new GPU driver supports both Vulkan and OpenGL
  • RAM is now locked at full speed (1600Mhz), was 800MHz before
  • The system is now way more stable and should boot for everyone with a decent SD card (no more black screen of death)
  • RetroArch has been updated to add menu widgets (fancy onscreen notifications)
  • Overclock profiles have been updated :
    • Renamed all profiles
    • Added more overclock profiles
    • Added underclock profiles
New cores
  • mupen64plus-next (N64 emulator)
    • The core is full speed, even on aarch64 thanks to the new dynarec
    • Includes the updated version of the GlideN renderer
  • picodrive (various Sega consoles)
    • The core replaces Genesis Plus GX (Game Gear support has been dropped)
  • Beetle PSX HW (PSX emulator with OpenGL and Vulkan renderer)
    • The core performs worse than PCSX ReARMed for now, even with Vulkan
  • reicast (Dreamcast emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games, no visual glitches
    • The OIT renderer works (better accuracy), speed is still good on 1x resolution
    • The core needs the Dreamcast BIOS files to be placed in /lakka/storage/system/DC
    • WinCE games are currently not supported - there is a WinCE version of the reicast core in the works but the aarch64 dynarec is too slow for the games to be playable (for now)
  • Yaba Sanshiro (Saturn emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games
    • Yabause and Kronos were also added but both perform worse than Yaba Sanshiro
  • theodore (Thomson MO/TO emulator)
Updated cores
  • Dolphin : Vulkan support
    • With Vulkan, Dolphin runs decently - some games are playable, some are full speed... see for yourself, try it and experiment with different games and settings!
  • PCSX ReARMed : Switch optimizations and CHD support
  • PPSSPP : doesn't crash anymore when closing content
Removed cores
  • mupen64plus
  • parallel-n64
  • Genesis Plus GX
  • Ishiiruka
    • It might come back once the core is updated with the (beta) Vulkan renderer
Credits
  • Kernel and drivers work: NVIDIA, switchroot team (especially ByLaws and langerhans)
  • Lakka Switch work: natinusala and plaidman
  • RetroArch, original Lakka distribution: libretro team
  • mupen64plus-next: Gillou and m4xw
  • PCSX ReARMed: Switch optimizations by m4xw, CHD support by aliaspider
  • Dolphin core: aliaspider
  • reicast core: flyinghead

Download link

The Lakka Switch website has been updated with the new version: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/

Please note that you can't dual boot Ubuntu and Lakka Switch for now (it will always boot Ubuntu).

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It seems like you're making things more difficult for no reason in trying to get an emulator to work within an emulator. You'd have a better chance running those games directly with Mupen64plus-next either with Lakka or in Horizon.
I do mainly, but things like the previously mentioned yoshis story(which is unplayable), and mario tennis(runs a tad slow stock) might get a better performance. In 95% cases i have no issues with mupen64plus :). Also vc games on computer dolphin builds run perfectly, it isnt beyond its capabilities.

Eosos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering Lakka progress is slow, because of how many developers contribute to it ;), I thought i would share
a bit more testing and mainly on N64/Dreamcast/PS1

Disable Vsync and enable Adaptive Vsync, increases peformance large margins for N64(and a few other emulators) at pretty much no visible disadvantage 99% of the time
Enable Threaded video
N64 emulation- all stock GPU(handheld)/CPU running HD 1280x720

Banjo Tooie: Runs 100% fps, however the game has very occasional fraction of a second stutters maybe 1 time every few minutes or so, however the fps doesn't drop, running handheld with sharp textures.
Goldeneye: 100% fps maybe dropping to 98% fps in most intensive places however pretty much perfect
Conker's Bad Fur Day: Absolutely perfect, have completed 100% audio and gameplay
Donkey Kong 64: Gameplay is 100% perfect full speed however their is minor lag entering a Kong Swap Barrel(loading) and using the Banana Warp pads(loading)
Mischief Makers: Game runs 90-100% speed most of the time sometimes dropping down to 80%.
Yoshi Story: Still haven't found a solution to this, game runs full speed until you try and move Yoshi then fps drops from 100% to 20%, no amount of overclocking has any effect whatsoever.
Zelda Ocarina of time: Running 100% fps using a beautiful (3DS style)high resolution texture pack.

PS1 Emulation

Not sure why it took me so long to figure out, however
BEETLE>PCSX

Even though PCSX has a few higher FPS by default, Beetle offers 100 more configuration options but most importantly
1) Increase resolution over 10X scale (you actually can't do this at all with PCSX you are stuck playing at under 400p ;P)
2) Change emulated clock speed

Crash Bandicoot: Runs full speed 60FPS stock CPU/GPU 2x resolution, Lower Beetle clock speed to 50%/disable dithering
Diablo: Runs full speed stock CPU/GPU 2x resolution, Lower emulated clock speed to 70%/disable dithering.

If one of these gets a Dynarec, I hope its Beetle, because games look 100X better after upscale and it has many more options.

Dreamcast Emulation

All stock CPU/GPU resolution upscaled to x960p

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver: Runs perfect
Super Magnetic Neo(DC Crash Bandicoot): Runs perfect, however make sure to use either CHD or GDI as CDI breaks at a certain point in game.
Silver(use CDI) runs about 90% in gameplay needs minor overclocking
Record of Lordoss War(DC Diablo) Runs 95%-100% speed, slow downs when lots of enemies on screen, minor overclocking helps.
Skies of Arcadia: Perfect
Sonic Adventure: Perfect

Highly suggest download the GDI to CHD converter raspberrypie website, Magnetic Neo for example is 10% of the original size and runs perfectly.

I have included some optimisations for some of the harder to emulate N64 games below, delete the .txt extension, show SD card Hidden files and place inside Lakka/storage/.config/retroarch/config/
Mupen64Plus-Next OpenGL. Make sure to delete the .txt extension so they read Banjo-Tooie.opt for e.g They must also be renamed to match your rom(not including .n64/z64/v64). So if you have Goldeneye 007 (USA).n64 as your rom the opt file needs to be renamed Goldeneye 007 (USA).opt.
Awesome post, thanks! For some reason I can't find an option for Adaptive Vsync. Could you tell me where it is?

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ahoi everyone, after three months of inactivity I am happy to present to you a new Lakka update: Lakka-Switch.L4T.aarch64-2.2-devel-20190728151829-r28534-gbd694f826.tar.gz

/!\
I strongly recommend that you reset your config after applying this update - to do so, delete /lakka/storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg /!\
It will reset RetroArch's settings but not your playlists, core options, remaps, etc...

Core updates:

• New core: Play! PS2 emulator (experimental, quite slow for now)
  • New core: mame2010
  • New core: Genesis Plus GX; the core is back and now default for Sega consoles
  • New core: openlara, an open source Tomb Raider engine
  • mupen64plus-next: the core has been rebased against latest GLideN64, fixing compatiblity with the few games that were still broken (including Yoshi's Island 64)
  • Dolphin: the core has been updated with new core options (BBOX, texture cache accuracy)
  • PPSSPP: the core has been updated with a new core option, IO Timing, as well as an improved games compatibility
  • PCSX-ReARMed: the core has been updated
  • FBAlpha has been renamed FBNeo
  • Reicast has been renamed Flycast
  • PRBoom: the core has been updated and now supports sigil.wad
System:
  • There is now a Shutdown menu entry to properly shutdown the console from Lakka without the need to go back to RCM
  • RetroArch has been updated
  • The default audio driver is now alsathread - that fixes PPSSPP hard freezing when opening the menu / closing content
  • The Switch now charges faster in Lakka
Download link: https://ctcaer.com/lakka/stable/Lak...devel-20190728151829-r28534-gbd694f826.tar.gz
How to update: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/update.html

Last edited by natinusala,

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ahoi everyone, after three months of inactivity I am happy to present to you a new Lakka update: Lakka-Switch.L4T.aarch64-2.2-devel-20190728151829-r28534-gbd694f826.tar.gz

/!\
I strongly recommend that you reset your config after applying this update - to do so, delete /lakka/storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg /!\
It will reset RetroArch's settings but not your playlists, core options, remaps, etc...

Core updates:

• mupen64plus-next: the core has been rebased against latest GLideN64, fixing compatiblity with the few games that were still broken (including Yoshi's Island 64)
  • Dolphin: the core has been updated with new core options (BBOX, texture cache accuracy)
  • PPSSPP: the core has been updated with a new core option, IO Timing, as well as an improved games compatibility
System:
  • There is now a Shutdown menu entry to properly shutdown the console from Lakka without the need to go back to RCM
  • The default audio driver is now alsathread - that fixes PPSSPP hard freezing when opening the menu / closing content
Download link: https://ctcaer.com/lakka/stable/Lak...devel-20190728151829-r28534-gbd694f826.tar.gz
You and the team are frigging amazing Nat! Never thought we would ever see a playstation 2 core for Lakka, even a slow one. Thanks again for all your hard work!! Much appreciated.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Awesome post, thanks! For some reason I can't find an option for Adaptive Vsync. Could you tell me where it is?
Sounds like a configuration has been messed up. Change the retroarch.cfg file Natinusala mentions in his update post :).

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

/!\

Core updates:

System:
Really excited to try some of this out, thankyou sooo much!!! Can I ask if their has been any progress with Bluetooth wireless controllers(pro/joycon grip)? I also remember a twitch vid of s2idle going, any news in that regard either? Please note these are just queries, no pressure!! The amount of work you guys get done in such a short time with full time jobs is incredible. Thankyou!!

Last edited by Basketto,

chillyshackk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

/!\

Core updates:

System:

Great news thanks for all the hard work! Trying it now!

stoffer666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
This is Amazing good job on updating Lakka it just need to have dock mode Working and wireless joycon Then it Will be so cool.

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my controls randomly stop working with this new update

EDIT: this includes the home button and the volume buttons, game seems uninterrupted

Last edited by enderer,

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
controls "work" now, but i'm having another issue. specifically in the retroarch menu, when i try to scroll up and down, it looks like it's scrolled all the way down and back again. all i'm trying to do is change the controls setting after starting a game, and i literally cannot select 'controls.' so i go to restart retroarch, and i literally cannot hover over it, even with L/R. all i can do is shutdown or quick menu.

chillyshackk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All I kept were my roms and saved games, deleted everything else and have no issues, I guess there are other files messing something up. Not sure why they suggested overwriting existing files only, it's never a good idea.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Could anyone please confirm a single ps2 game they have got to work? I have installed both files on a freshly formatted 100% clean fat32 formatted 16gb Sd card. At the moment it doesnt go past black screens in any game. I dont think its a compatibilty issue, but unless there is something im missing? Maybe you need a particular cluster size? Only works on a certain speed SD card? an additional bios file? Possibly a lack of RAM? Or possibly even though some games run in ubuntu through the play core, something is missing in lakka?

Last edited by Basketto,

Sm0k3r83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

/!\

Core updates:

System:

is the sleep fix in this buld?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't...