L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

logonav.png

Lakka Switch, L4T edition
I am proud to finally release the L4T version of Lakka Switch!
New kernel, new logo, new drivers, audio... everything is fresh and clean.

Did I mention Rayman 3 was full speed on Dolphin? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

General system updates
  • New Linux kernel and underlying operating system, based on Linux4Tegra and Jetson Nano drivers
    • mainline kernel has been deprecated
    • system features should now be on par with the L4T Ubuntu distribution, except for dock support
    • Bluetooth was lost in the battle and needs some rest to come back stronger
  • aarch64 is now the default and mainly supported architecture
    • arm has been deprecated since L4T doesn't support it
  • New logo made with the help of jaames and the R:S community
New features and improvements
  • Audio now works through the internal speakers and headphones
  • The new GPU driver supports both Vulkan and OpenGL
  • RAM is now locked at full speed (1600Mhz), was 800MHz before
  • The system is now way more stable and should boot for everyone with a decent SD card (no more black screen of death)
  • RetroArch has been updated to add menu widgets (fancy onscreen notifications)
  • Overclock profiles have been updated :
    • Renamed all profiles
    • Added more overclock profiles
    • Added underclock profiles
New cores
  • mupen64plus-next (N64 emulator)
    • The core is full speed, even on aarch64 thanks to the new dynarec
    • Includes the updated version of the GlideN renderer
  • picodrive (various Sega consoles)
    • The core replaces Genesis Plus GX (Game Gear support has been dropped)
  • Beetle PSX HW (PSX emulator with OpenGL and Vulkan renderer)
    • The core performs worse than PCSX ReARMed for now, even with Vulkan
  • reicast (Dreamcast emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games, no visual glitches
    • The OIT renderer works (better accuracy), speed is still good on 1x resolution
    • The core needs the Dreamcast BIOS files to be placed in /lakka/storage/system/DC
    • WinCE games are currently not supported - there is a WinCE version of the reicast core in the works but the aarch64 dynarec is too slow for the games to be playable (for now)
  • Yaba Sanshiro (Saturn emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games
    • Yabause and Kronos were also added but both perform worse than Yaba Sanshiro
  • theodore (Thomson MO/TO emulator)
Updated cores
  • Dolphin : Vulkan support
    • With Vulkan, Dolphin runs decently - some games are playable, some are full speed... see for yourself, try it and experiment with different games and settings!
  • PCSX ReARMed : Switch optimizations and CHD support
  • PPSSPP : doesn't crash anymore when closing content
Removed cores
  • mupen64plus
  • parallel-n64
  • Genesis Plus GX
  • Ishiiruka
    • It might come back once the core is updated with the (beta) Vulkan renderer
Credits
  • Kernel and drivers work: NVIDIA, switchroot team (especially ByLaws and langerhans)
  • Lakka Switch work: natinusala and plaidman
  • RetroArch, original Lakka distribution: libretro team
  • mupen64plus-next: Gillou and m4xw
  • PCSX ReARMed: Switch optimizations by m4xw, CHD support by aliaspider
  • Dolphin core: aliaspider
  • reicast core: flyinghead

Download link

The Lakka Switch website has been updated with the new version: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/

Please note that you can't dual boot Ubuntu and Lakka Switch for now (it will always boot Ubuntu).

SnaXe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Take the kernel from the previous Lakka (No sound), and import it into the Lakka folder and run it with the latest Lakka build. See if it works for you.
i replaced the kernel in the new lakka and lakka did't seem to boot, is there another way?

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you have to recompile all of Lakka if you want to make any changes, which is not noob friendly AFAIK but I've never done it myself.

intellettuanale

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a way to automatically run a script on boot?
That script I need will mount some network folder with roms and saves. It works if I run it through ssh, but I prefer if lakka run it on boot....

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
The last update was released one year ago. At this point, Lakka perfoms awfully bad, even with Vulkan, and it lacks basic features that has been standard since pretty old RetroArch versions. It only looks like they aren't there because the devs were too lazy.

Wasting 2GB (more or less) from your SD card to install Lakka and its components sounds like a really bad joke.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last update was released one year ago. At this point, Lakka perfoms awfully bad, even with Vulkan, and it lacks basic features that has been standard since pretty old RetroArch versions. It only looks like they aren't there because the devs were too lazy.

Wasting 2GB (more or less) from your SD card to install Lakka and its components sounds like a really bad joke.

Lakka just needs to get the Switch dock and other things working, tbh. Like, it can do stuff HorizonArch can't, but you're stuck with doing it all in portable mode, which is fine when you're on the go, but not all of us live in states where they never locked things down to be able to take advantage of that.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Lakka just needs to get the Switch dock and other things working, tbh. Like, it can do stuff HorizonArch can't, but you're stuck with doing it all in portable mode, which is fine when you're on the go, but not all of us live in states where they never locked things down to be able to take advantage of that.
Lakka not only lacks a ton of standard, basic features, specially compared to current RA versions, it also performs worse. Maybe when the last updates was released it was huge deal with a notable difference. Nowdays it's waaaay better to just keep RetroArch updated on your HB menu.

Fayd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakka not only lacks a ton of standard, basic features, specially compared to current RA versions, it also performs worse. Maybe when the last updates was released it was huge deal with a notable difference. Nowdays it's waaaay better to just keep RetroArch updated on your HB menu.

Actually I disagree with you, and have proof to back me up. Final Fantasy 1 and 4 for psp have major slowdown issues in Retroarch and ppsspp standalone with Atmosphere as CFW. Lakka, being as old as it is has none of those slowdowns. I'm waiting for Lakka to one day update to give sleep mode and dock mode and update the cores, because it looks like I'm better off waiting for that than hoping that the slowdown will get fixed in atmosphere.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Actually I disagree with you, and have proof to back me up. Final Fantasy 1 and 4 for psp have major slowdown issues in Retroarch and ppsspp standalone with Atmosphere as CFW. Lakka, being as old as it is has none of those slowdowns. I'm waiting for Lakka to one day update to give sleep mode and dock mode and update the cores, because it looks like I'm better off waiting for that than hoping that the slowdown will get fixed in atmosphere.
You can easily fix the PSP problems with the right files and patched bios. Also, in any case, a single core of a single console working better on Lakka doesn't mean the overall performance and features are better.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I had been waiting for Lakka to get updated as I liked having a side-boot option to utilize the hardware as best as it could for just emulation, but it seems it was left on the wayside. Been also waiting for Android Pie to get an official release since January. What recommendations for Retroarch are there beyond homebrew in Horizon?

Sorry if this is considered offtopic.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had been waiting for Lakka to get updated as I liked having a side-boot option to utilize the hardware as best as it could for just emulation, but it seems it was left on the wayside. Been also waiting for Android Pie to get an official release since January. What recommendations for Retroarch are there beyond homebrew in Horizon?

Ubuntu-L4T was pretty good from what I remember when I used that Noob-Friendly build a long time ago, but you have to have quite a lot of patience and a willingness to learn a new OS if you want to try that out!

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ubuntu-L4T was pretty good from what I remember when I used that Noob-Friendly build a long time ago, but you have to have quite a lot of patience and a willingness to learn a new OS if you want to try that out!
I can work with it. If it allows me to make a shortcut where I can access Retroarch fairly quickly, and Retroarch there has the layout much like Lakka did, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can work with it. If it allows me to make a shortcut where I can access Retroarch fairly quickly, and Retroarch there has the layout much like Lakka did, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thing about UbuntuArch from what I remember is that there weren't many cores available, as the cores had to be recoded for ARM64. Hence, if you wanted to play PS1/DC, you'd have to download the individual emulators to play them.

Also, if you have a 4K TV like I do, the Switch will render at 4K when docked, which leads to a fuck load of slowdown.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Thing about UbuntuArch from what I remember is that there weren't many cores available, as the cores had to be recoded for ARM64. Hence, if you wanted to play PS1/DC, you'd have to download the individual emulators to play them.

Also, if you have a 4K TV like I do, the Switch will render at 4K when docked, which leads to a fuck load of slowdown.
Can't change to 1080p? Anyways, doesn't the HDMI spec of the dock only allow up to 4k@30fps?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't change to 1080p? Anyways, doesn't the HDMI spec of the dock only allow up to 4k@30fps?

I think you can, but it's one of those situations where you're better off just using a 1080p monitor. IDK about the HDMI spec of the dock, though it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
You can easily fix the PSP problems with the right files and patched bios. Also, in any case, a single core of a single console working better on Lakka doesn't mean the overall performance and features are better.
don't show the HUD and make it impossible to play

In ElOtroLado's Spanish forums, they shared an Android PIE IMG endorsement. I couldn't test it because you have to have a bigger MicroSD. and my 64GB MicroSD is missing a few GB. Links no longer work ...

The user says the gyroscope works. Although some applications are crashed. But certainly, according to the developers, the games have better performance.

https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_swi...-en-switch-publicado_2338290_s850#p1748892880

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can compile Android Pie (LineageOS) for Switch by yourself, but it requires a lot of Hard Disk space (more than 100GB), knowledge and a lot of patience. Also a Linux distro.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V4rUtteaNK8DWn62q36CL9eSali79w2MqmY_4n1L57A/edit

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
You say Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and OPS will fix the hidden graphics (HUD) problems if I patch the bios?
ROMs can't fix problems by themselves.
I assume you are asking if the games would work better with the bios correctly patched? If so, then just look around for documentation. Most problems with PPSSPP can be solved by keeping everything updated, patching the correct bios and placing the assets folder inside system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn