RELEASE L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by natinusala, May 15, 2019.

1. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Search this thread for Sunshine performance settings, it should run full speed at 1750 Overclock.

2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Honestly, at this point, given that, from what I remember, lakka-switch ran pretty well for DC (with the PS1 running slowly for some reason, there was a fix I remember reading about), I would like to see this support wireless controllers and the dock as the next. Yes, adding more emulators would be nice, but I haven't seen much of Play! in action because I've heard that it's in the early development stages right now. Otherwise, I might give more of a shit about PS2 emulation, but most of the games from that era that could have a chance of coming to the Switch at this point in time are already playable in one form or another.

3. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    I was wondering, does Dolphin have cheat support? Such as Action Replay?

4. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I don't think you realize how many exclusive ps2 games there were. Maybe more than any other console.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_2-only_games

That's not to say I believe Play! or any PS2 emulator on Switch will ever be fully capable of running ps2 games, I do not.

5. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Point is, if I'm emulating PS2 games, I'm using Windows 10 with a PC because that's the sorry state of PCSX2 at the moment.

6. Fenderbendr

Fenderbendr Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2019
    United States
    So I've tried the GameCube Mario sunshine settings someone posted around here and they make that and THPS3 run well, but I also tried those settings with Mario Tennis and Mario golf, but those games are really choppy and slow.

Are there some other settings to try to mess with to improve performance on other games? I'm overclocking the Switch cpu at 1785, and the gpu at 691.

I'm using PAL versions of the games btw

Last edited by Fenderbendr, Jul 22, 2019
  7. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    You can add cheat support for all cores, but you need to enable it. User interface/Views/Quick Menu then enable the appropriate settings.

8. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Yeah, I did that. Learned that there's no libretro format cheats for Dolphin yet.

9. Flarez942

Flarez942 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Is there any way to improve preformance on Dolphin? I overclocked the CPU and GPU and when playing metroid prime it plays poorly. Meanwhile games like Twilight Princess and Super Smash Bros. Melee run fine

Fenderbendr likes this.
  10. OldGnashburg

OldGnashburg Canadian Zoomer

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    How is Twilight Princess running fine? I have incredibly low performance with TP in Castle Town and Hyrule Field with both my CPU and GPU overclocked.

11. QwertyCody

QwertyCody Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2019
    United States
    So I made an account on GBATemp to explicitly do these things:

1. Thank you for your work compiling and configuring Lakka for Switch
    2. Thank you for allowing me to play through Wind Waker (after lots of config!) at my own leisure again
    2a. Being a business professional I rarely have time to game anymore so the switch is a blessing and Lakka just adds way more to that.
    2b. Wind Waker was my favorite game growing up.
    3. Volunteer my programming and systems engineer background if there is anything you may need or want assistance with if there is a ongoing project.

Let me know, otherwise have a fantastic day and thank you so so much for your work and time.

I've lurked on GBATemp for years and leeched off projects but this is the first one that's got me jumping out of my skin like this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Broduskii, Csmrcc and Shaneus like this.
  12. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    You can try lowering the emulated CPU clock if you haven't already. There's not much else beyond that, and performance is unlikely to increase much over time

13. chillyshackk

chillyshackk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    Canada
    Québec, Canada
    Check their web site, github and discord if you want to help and get in contact with them. They haven't been commenting much lately on this project here.

QwertyCody likes this.
  14. Flarez942

Flarez942 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Okay maybe I was stretching it a tiny bit, but in the opening areas it ran fine for me.

15. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Considering Lakka progress is slow, because of how many developers contribute to it ;), I thought i would share
    a bit more testing and mainly on N64/Dreamcast/PS1

Disable Vsync and enable Adaptive Vsync, increases peformance large margins for N64(and a few other emulators) at pretty much no visible disadvantage 99% of the time
    Enable Threaded video
    N64 emulation- all stock GPU(handheld)/CPU running HD 1280x720

Banjo Tooie: Runs 100% fps, however the game has very occasional fraction of a second stutters maybe 1 time every few minutes or so, however the fps doesn't drop, running handheld with sharp textures.
    Goldeneye: 100% fps maybe dropping to 98% fps in most intensive places however pretty much perfect
    Conker's Bad Fur Day: Absolutely perfect, have completed 100% audio and gameplay
    Donkey Kong 64: Gameplay is 100% perfect full speed however their is minor lag entering a Kong Swap Barrel(loading) and using the Banana Warp pads(loading)
    Mischief Makers: Game runs 90-100% speed most of the time sometimes dropping down to 80%.
    Yoshi Story: Still haven't found a solution to this, game runs full speed until you try and move Yoshi then fps drops from 100% to 20%, no amount of overclocking has any effect whatsoever.
    Zelda Ocarina of time: Running 100% fps using a beautiful (3DS style)high resolution texture pack.

PS1 Emulation

Not sure why it took me so long to figure out, however
    BEETLE>PCSX

Even though PCSX has a few higher FPS by default, Beetle offers 100 more configuration options but most importantly
    1) Increase resolution over 10X scale (you actually can't do this at all with PCSX you are stuck playing at under 400p ;P)
    2) Change emulated clock speed

Crash Bandicoot: Runs full speed 60FPS stock CPU/GPU 2x resolution, Lower Beetle clock speed to 50%/disable dithering
    Diablo: Runs full speed stock CPU/GPU 2x resolution, Lower emulated clock speed to 70%/disable dithering.

If one of these gets a Dynarec, I hope its Beetle, because games look 100X better after upscale and it has many more options.

Dreamcast Emulation

All stock CPU/GPU resolution upscaled to x960p

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver: Runs perfect
    Super Magnetic Neo(DC Crash Bandicoot): Runs perfect, however make sure to use either CHD or GDI as CDI breaks at a certain point in game.
    Silver(use CDI) runs about 90% in gameplay needs minor overclocking
    Record of Lordoss War(DC Diablo) Runs 95%-100% speed, slow downs when lots of enemies on screen, minor overclocking helps.
    Skies of Arcadia: Perfect
    Sonic Adventure: Perfect
    Rayman 2: Perfect

Highly suggest download the GDI to CHD converter raspberrypie website, Magnetic Neo for example is 10% of the original size and runs perfectly.

I have included some optimisations for some of the harder to emulate N64 games below, delete the .txt extension, show SD card Hidden files and place inside Lakka/storage/.config/retroarch/config/
    Mupen64Plus-Next OpenGL. Make sure to delete the .txt extension so they read Banjo-Tooie.opt for e.g They must also be renamed to match your rom(not including .n64/z64/v64). So if you have Goldeneye 007 (USA).n64 as your rom the opt file needs to be renamed Goldeneye 007 (USA).opt.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Jackson98, Jul 28, 2019
  16. legendheaven

legendheaven GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2015
    Turkey
    Hey m8s what emulators work on this im new on lakka thing :D

17. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 2, 2013
    Australia
    all that the normal retroarch but better in most cases plus psp,dreamcast, gamecube and wii games

18. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Castle town slows down a little, but not by much. Hyrile field drops to like... 7-9fps. Everything else is full speed though. Im almost through the game on lakka

19. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Anyone had any luck playing virtual console N64 on dolphin? Ive tried a few games, every one gives a black screen on boot :P.

20. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    It seems like you're making things more difficult for no reason in trying to get an emulator to work within an emulator. You'd have a better chance running those games directly with Mupen64plus-next either with Lakka or in Horizon.