RELEASE L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by natinusala, May 15, 2019.

1. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Regular X1s run it at around 2ghz, the ones the Switch uses are binned for 1785mhz (they are tested and confirmed to be stable at 1785mhz at the factory), and Ninty normally runs it at 1020mhz on retail (also some games use a "boost mode" which sets it to 1785mhz during loading screens, and SDEVs can run at 1224mhz)

Budsixz likes this.
  2. Budsixz

Budsixz GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2018
    India
    so running emulators at 1785mhz shouldn't cause any problems right? like in longrun?

3. Mouser X

Mouser X Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    It has been said that it's possible to cause battery degredation, due to pulling too much current from the battery too quickly. At what point that happens, I don't know (sys-clk has "safetys" built in to prevent this, so I guess check there?), but it can be avoided by having your Switch plugged into the AC adapter it came with (or, theoretically, an AC adapter that matches or exceeds the Switch's adapter). As near as I've seen anyone else say, that's the biggest concern. Apparently the increase in heat is minimal, the CPU is "expected" to run that speed, and everything else is fine.

That's just the CPU. If you overclock the GPU, I've read that increases heat a lot more, so be careful when overclocking the GPU.

RahFah, klear and Budsixz like this.
  4. abilaunken

abilaunken Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2009
    Brazil
    I test it today, with max overclock try mario party 4 , skys of arcadia and rogue 2 and 3.
    Mario party run very well , can say fullspeed
    sky 20 fps at intro
    rogues black screen on 2 and stuck in bootscreen for rogue 3. (same with gl driver)

Dreamcast marvel vs capcom 2, run very well , can say fullspeed

Sold my wii for wiiu but ending geting a swith, now cant play rogue squadron anymore :cry:

Last edited by abilaunken, May 21, 2019
  5. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Netplay should work. At least.

6. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Hmm I haven't tested any Wii games, most probably won't run as fast as Gamecube., although I've heard Twilight princess and a few others work decently. The thing that made the largest difference for me was making sure Vulkan was enabled, the performance boost is astounding. Maybe the SD card you are using is effecting performance? The cluster size? Idk.

7. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Funnily enough, overclocking the GPU for most of the emulation I've rand does literally nothing. I've literally yet to run a game where GPU overclock has made any kind of noticeable difference.

8. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Worth noting but its not that odd that Gen 5 - 6 graphics fail to stress the Switch if you have decent drivers/API.

9. level42

level42 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2011
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Has anyone managed to get Pokemon Snap to work in L4T Lakka?

I can boot the game, play the game (about 85% full speed), but when I play the first course, take photos, and head to Prof. Oak for review, the images are all blank, or at least they are to Prof. Oak, and he can't see any Pokemon in my photos. To myself, the photos appear fine.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (Not my screenshots, but they showcase the issue)

There's some further, older discussion about this issue here: https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/777

Any idea?

Last edited by level42, May 21, 2019
  10. xbmcuser

xbmcuser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2007
    United States
    The switch hardware is a beast. It emulates propcycle arcade game better than on my i7 and nvidia 4 series card on my old laptop at 45W (cost £1500 then).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Lakka has crashed and corrupted something twice now. I have had to reinstall it again from scratch twice now. Any ideas what will have happened?

11. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    same happens to a few of us, info about your sd? brand? storage? format and cluster?

12. Mouser X

Mouser X Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    Most emulators heavily rely on the CPU. While the GPU is certainly important, since everything is emulated, there's not a lot for the GPU to do anyway. I only mentioned it, because I didn't want people misinterpreting me as saying "OCing is okay! OC everything as fast as possible!" Generally, if you pay attention and know what you're doing, OCing on the Switch seems to be fine. Just keep in mind that the battery wasn't necessarily designed to handle the higher clocks, and doing a heat paste mod can greatly alleviate heat issues (if that's a concern).

On that note, I won't be surprised if, further down the road, Switch battery replacements (with a battery designed to handle higher power draw) becomes a thing.

13. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Ive done a bit more testing with gamecube games, and I noticed that the (PAL) version of super mario sunshine actually runs noticeably better than the (NTSC), the game definitely lags less(except for the cutscenes in which NTSC wins). I should mention PAL(EU) games from what ive gathered cap at 25fps/50fps cutscenes and NTSC(USA) 30fps/60fps cutscenes. If you are having trouble with achieving pefect performace try the comparison yourself. You can also use the Unstable CPU but I prefer not too.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Their are actually devs quoting to a degree "the switch was meant for overclocking" but i agree with you about the super high OC speeds. I doubt you will lose much battery life otherwise I run most things at 1785 if I need to my switch is barely warm after 3 hours :P

14. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 2, 2013
    Australia
    this fix the performance for Metal gear solid on GC but for some reason the main menu is auto moving up by itself and can't figure how to stop it? any clues

15. Bryan1986

Bryan1986 Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Got games running does anyone know how to map controls cant press the 2 button for Wii

16. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    i think has some to do eith controls, controls 1 and "wii side" or something like that i dont have it here

Bryan1986 likes this.
  17. mustafag32g

mustafag32g GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2014
    Argentina
    does super mario galaxy run well with overclock gpu and cpu ?

18. Bryan1986

Bryan1986 Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    What does efb stand for cant find it? Thanks

19. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    30-40fps iirc

20. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Is their a particular place Playstation BIOS need storing for Lakka? I can only find mention of the Dreamcast file :P.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted