L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

logonav.png

Lakka Switch, L4T edition
I am proud to finally release the L4T version of Lakka Switch!
New kernel, new logo, new drivers, audio... everything is fresh and clean.

Did I mention Rayman 3 was full speed on Dolphin? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

General system updates
  • New Linux kernel and underlying operating system, based on Linux4Tegra and Jetson Nano drivers
    • mainline kernel has been deprecated
    • system features should now be on par with the L4T Ubuntu distribution, except for dock support
    • Bluetooth was lost in the battle and needs some rest to come back stronger
  • aarch64 is now the default and mainly supported architecture
    • arm has been deprecated since L4T doesn't support it
  • New logo made with the help of jaames and the R:S community
New features and improvements
  • Audio now works through the internal speakers and headphones
  • The new GPU driver supports both Vulkan and OpenGL
  • RAM is now locked at full speed (1600Mhz), was 800MHz before
  • The system is now way more stable and should boot for everyone with a decent SD card (no more black screen of death)
  • RetroArch has been updated to add menu widgets (fancy onscreen notifications)
  • Overclock profiles have been updated :
    • Renamed all profiles
    • Added more overclock profiles
    • Added underclock profiles
New cores
  • mupen64plus-next (N64 emulator)
    • The core is full speed, even on aarch64 thanks to the new dynarec
    • Includes the updated version of the GlideN renderer
  • picodrive (various Sega consoles)
    • The core replaces Genesis Plus GX (Game Gear support has been dropped)
  • Beetle PSX HW (PSX emulator with OpenGL and Vulkan renderer)
    • The core performs worse than PCSX ReARMed for now, even with Vulkan
  • reicast (Dreamcast emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games, no visual glitches
    • The OIT renderer works (better accuracy), speed is still good on 1x resolution
    • The core needs the Dreamcast BIOS files to be placed in /lakka/storage/system/DC
    • WinCE games are currently not supported - there is a WinCE version of the reicast core in the works but the aarch64 dynarec is too slow for the games to be playable (for now)
  • Yaba Sanshiro (Saturn emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games
    • Yabause and Kronos were also added but both perform worse than Yaba Sanshiro
  • theodore (Thomson MO/TO emulator)
Updated cores
  • Dolphin : Vulkan support
    • With Vulkan, Dolphin runs decently - some games are playable, some are full speed... see for yourself, try it and experiment with different games and settings!
  • PCSX ReARMed : Switch optimizations and CHD support
  • PPSSPP : doesn't crash anymore when closing content
Removed cores
  • mupen64plus
  • parallel-n64
  • Genesis Plus GX
  • Ishiiruka
    • It might come back once the core is updated with the (beta) Vulkan renderer
Credits
  • Kernel and drivers work: NVIDIA, switchroot team (especially ByLaws and langerhans)
  • Lakka Switch work: natinusala and plaidman
  • RetroArch, original Lakka distribution: libretro team
  • mupen64plus-next: Gillou and m4xw
  • PCSX ReARMed: Switch optimizations by m4xw, CHD support by aliaspider
  • Dolphin core: aliaspider
  • reicast core: flyinghead

Download link

The Lakka Switch website has been updated with the new version: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/

Please note that you can't dual boot Ubuntu and Lakka Switch for now (it will always boot Ubuntu).

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New Super Mario Bros Wii works well on Vulkan, and the saturn core is very promising. Radiant Silvergun reached 80-90% of it's speed, no matter the clocking.

Me and ploggy (and others on discord) noticed saturn crashes the whole switch within about 5 minutes regardless of the game. It's broken. If you just sample the game you won't notice.

Last edited by EmulateLife,
D

Deleted User

I told you it worked in horizon not lakka. I said horizon for a reason. I haven't tried it on lakka I have no reason to because it works in horizon.
Yeah, I knew you were using it in horizon, but figured they would just use the same settings. Strange.

Oh well. Thanks for helping anyways :/

Mambila2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Me and ploggy (and others on discord) noticed saturn crashes the whole switch within about 5 minutes regardless of the game. It's broken. If you just sample the game you won't notice.

I played the game for 10-15 mins bro, haven't encountered any crashes. Perhaps because it's an STV one ?

Edit : game just crashed, so I'd say that it's more 15 minutes than 5. The problem is still the same though

Last edited by Mambila2001,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the game for 10-15 mins bro, haven't encountered any crashes. Perhaps because it's an STV one ?

Don't know, maybe.

I tried Panzer Dragoon Saga and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei and Saga did it twice and Zwei did it after that. Ploggy brought it up first.

Maybe it's not every game but overall it seems to do it pretty often.

Tsunn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Probably stupid question, but I never had the interest in trying lakka until now. Are there any downside effects on using this? I remember people saying that it caused to burn pixel on switch's screen or this kind of stuff.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably stupid question, but I never had the interest in trying lakka until now. Are there any downside effects on using this? I remember people saying that it caused to burn pixel on switch's screen or this kind of stuff.
The burn-in never actually happened. The only issues Lakka caused in the past was battery and time desync. Battery desync was fixed in 3.0 hekate (using a work around), then fixed in Lakka later. Time desync still happens, but you can fix that by using Horizon while online. Other than that, not much chance of any damage.
Good luck getting Lakka to boot though. It's been two days and I still can't get it to load past a black screen.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit : game just crashed, so I'd say that it's more 15 minutes than 5. The problem is still the same though

Just saw your edit, the games I had crashes on were probably not even 5. More like 3-4.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried SEGA Rally Championship with Yaba Sanshiro, game boots runs fine but controls don't work and I cannot set any or enter menu once the game starts, this is the same for all Saturn games. Won't let me launch core and set controls either.

Tsunn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tried out Metroid Prime with Dolphin. It is slow and the sound is bugged, but it kinda works.
Can't wait for this to improve!

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ah so you installed retroarch through apt and backed up the .so file.
That sounds about right, yeah. But still, managed to work fine.

Keep in mind that I was using the Nuked audio driver, so whatever fault appeared for you might not show up while I've been using it.

As someone who obviously knows infinitely more than me about this stuff, do you know if it's possible to port the BlastEm core to use on Switch?

Additional question for everyone:
Use nxmtp to access your sd card without removing it through your usb type c cable.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nxmtp-access-your-sd-card-over-usb-without-rebooting.528783/

then open system and create a new folder called "dc" and put the bios in there. Done.
Is it possible to do this with this Lakka? Best I can tell, .nro files are only useable when in Horizon and not using L4T.

Last edited by Shaneus,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds about right, yeah. But still, managed to work fine.

Keep in mind that I was using the Nuked audio driver, so whatever fault appeared for you might not show up while I've been using it.

As someone who obviously knows infinitely more than me about this stuff, do you know if it's possible to port the BlastEm core to use on Switch?

Additional question for everyone:

Is it possible to do this with this Lakka? Best I can tell, .nro files are only useable when in Horizon and not using L4T.

I was talking about using it in Horizon just to get the bios right.

Last edited by EmulateLife,
D

Deleted User

OK!

If you're having trouble with games suddenly crashing with PPSSPP, make sure to get the CONTENTS of the ASSETS folder in THIS pack from github, and put them in a folder in /system/PPSSPP

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/archive/master.zip

Any games should stop crashing, in particular, some games that crash because of trying to access the memory card. Not all games crash because of it, but this should mitigate some of that.

Wipeout Pure/Pulse
CPU OC: MAXIMUM performance
GPU OC: Docked Stock

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i switched from gl to vulkan in settings under drivers (after enabling advanced settings under user interface)

and now mega man 9 is running well. kudos! i effing love this game and this is just the tits!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yltcaxE +1