L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

logonav.png

Lakka Switch, L4T edition
I am proud to finally release the L4T version of Lakka Switch!
New kernel, new logo, new drivers, audio... everything is fresh and clean.

Did I mention Rayman 3 was full speed on Dolphin? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

General system updates
  • New Linux kernel and underlying operating system, based on Linux4Tegra and Jetson Nano drivers
    • mainline kernel has been deprecated
    • system features should now be on par with the L4T Ubuntu distribution, except for dock support
    • Bluetooth was lost in the battle and needs some rest to come back stronger
  • aarch64 is now the default and mainly supported architecture
    • arm has been deprecated since L4T doesn't support it
  • New logo made with the help of jaames and the R:S community
New features and improvements
  • Audio now works through the internal speakers and headphones
  • The new GPU driver supports both Vulkan and OpenGL
  • RAM is now locked at full speed (1600Mhz), was 800MHz before
  • The system is now way more stable and should boot for everyone with a decent SD card (no more black screen of death)
  • RetroArch has been updated to add menu widgets (fancy onscreen notifications)
  • Overclock profiles have been updated :
    • Renamed all profiles
    • Added more overclock profiles
    • Added underclock profiles
New cores
  • mupen64plus-next (N64 emulator)
    • The core is full speed, even on aarch64 thanks to the new dynarec
    • Includes the updated version of the GlideN renderer
  • picodrive (various Sega consoles)
    • The core replaces Genesis Plus GX (Game Gear support has been dropped)
  • Beetle PSX HW (PSX emulator with OpenGL and Vulkan renderer)
    • The core performs worse than PCSX ReARMed for now, even with Vulkan
  • reicast (Dreamcast emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games, no visual glitches
    • The OIT renderer works (better accuracy), speed is still good on 1x resolution
    • The core needs the Dreamcast BIOS files to be placed in /lakka/storage/system/DC
    • WinCE games are currently not supported - there is a WinCE version of the reicast core in the works but the aarch64 dynarec is too slow for the games to be playable (for now)
  • Yaba Sanshiro (Saturn emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games
    • Yabause and Kronos were also added but both perform worse than Yaba Sanshiro
  • theodore (Thomson MO/TO emulator)
Updated cores
  • Dolphin : Vulkan support
    • With Vulkan, Dolphin runs decently - some games are playable, some are full speed... see for yourself, try it and experiment with different games and settings!
  • PCSX ReARMed : Switch optimizations and CHD support
  • PPSSPP : doesn't crash anymore when closing content
Removed cores
  • mupen64plus
  • parallel-n64
  • Genesis Plus GX
  • Ishiiruka
    • It might come back once the core is updated with the (beta) Vulkan renderer
Credits
  • Kernel and drivers work: NVIDIA, switchroot team (especially ByLaws and langerhans)
  • Lakka Switch work: natinusala and plaidman
  • RetroArch, original Lakka distribution: libretro team
  • mupen64plus-next: Gillou and m4xw
  • PCSX ReARMed: Switch optimizations by m4xw, CHD support by aliaspider
  • Dolphin core: aliaspider
  • reicast core: flyinghead

Download link

The Lakka Switch website has been updated with the new version: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/

Please note that you can't dual boot Ubuntu and Lakka Switch for now (it will always boot Ubuntu).

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Don’t get hopes up too much regarding Dolphin. You should use Vulkan and also overclock the CPU to 1.7GHz. If using portable mode, also overclock the GPU to 460MHz.

Even then, only specific games will run well. The following are known to work well (maybe with some issues).

-Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2
-Animal Crossing GameCube
-Resident Evil Code Veronica X
-Killer 7
-Pikmin
-Viewtiful Joe 1/2
-New Super Mario Wii (slow cutscenes)

There’s some to get you started.
hi, how not to relie on dolphin, to run GC games for example, dont we have to choose dolphin core and then vulkan driver? :(
ty

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For anyone who wants to run Genesis Plus GX under this build of Lakka, here's the core I built for Retroarch for the vanilla L4T image. I don't know much about how Linux works, but somehow this core actually seems to run fine:
https://www59.zippyshare.com/v/QHvXMOVr/file.html

Extract this to /storage/lakka/cores and you'll be good to go. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it definitely worked at least the one time I tried it :)

Edit: I know someone much smarter than me posted that there were issues including it so they might still be there, but it's here for those who want to give it a go.

Last edited by Shaneus,

sirAnger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone who wants to run Genesis Plus GX under this build of Lakka, here's the core I built for Retroarch for the vanilla L4T image. I don't know much about how Linux works, but somehow this core actually seems to run fine:
https://www59.zippyshare.com/v/QHvXMOVr/file.html

Extract this to /storage/lakka/cores and you'll be good to go. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it definitely worked at least the one time I tried it :)

Edit: I know someone much smarter than me posted that there were issues including it so they might still be there, but it's here for those who want to give it a go.

Shaneus can you send me the compiler options you used to build this? Or a log of the compiler output? (compiler output might be better)

Last edited by sirAnger,

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don’t get hopes up too much regarding Dolphin. You should use Vulkan and also overclock the CPU to 1.7GHz. If using portable mode, also overclock the GPU to 460MHz.

Even then, only specific games will run well. The following are known to work well (maybe with some issues).

-Killer 7
-Pikmin
-Viewtiful Joe 1/2

That's so weird, I managed to get Geometry Wars Galaxies running better with OpenGL. No idea why.

Edit:
Shaneus can you send me the compiler options you used to build this? Or a log of the compiler output?
Hah, I'd have no idea how to do that! It was basically how it was done in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/l4t-ubuntu-applcation-install-guides.537579/
I really do know next to nothing about Linux so I don't know where those files would reside. I just made a backup of the Libretro binary folders before I formatted the SD card with this new Lakka build.

Last edited by Shaneus,

sirAnger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ErnieBall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

-Killer 7
-Pikmin
-Viewtiful Joe 1/2

Strange, I can't even get past the time/date screen in PSO. Lakka crashes right after that.
Got any hints how to fix this?
I'm using a the us .iso.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but I still think they under clocked it for a reason(you could say, just for battery, but then why not oc it when it's in the dock or include a high performance button), running it over locked all the time for hours, I personally feel could still be dangerous, and I've yet to see anyone prove otherwise, yes Nintendo now does it during loading screens, but only during loading screens.
They handle 1785mhz cpu + 921mhz gpu without any issues, afaict Nintendo tests systems at the factory with those speeds (at least they did with older systems), and I’ve played for hours with said speeds with no negative effects (besides the fan being a bit louder)

I’m guessing they don’t run it at those higher speeds either because they don’t want the gap between handheld and docked to be super large, or they wanted to keeps the fan almost silent (or both!)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Strange, I can't even get past the time/date screen in PSO. Lakka crashes right after that.
I'm using a the us .iso.
Read the wording in the game carefully because it is confusing. It will ask if you want to go to the Calendar screen - do not do this, it will black screen.

Reactions: ErnieBall

sou

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Does the joycons work on dolphin (wii) ? I cant get pass the screen "press 2 to start" on new SMB wii

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
does anyone know the most convenient way to either
a) switch off the console
b) switch off the display
c) get into sleep mode

any of the above will do ;). Is the fast method to do any of the above to just relaunch LAKKA into RCM/horizon, then just either sleep or shutdown from there? Also I remember a while ago screen burning would happen if Lakka was left too long in the menu, is that still a thing? Final question :P, does leaving Lakka overclocked affect anything outside of Lakka? i had heard tell rumours :P.

Woukd also like to give much kudos & appreciation and thanks to all the developers involved, Ive been craving an L4T version of Lakka for a fair while, and this sounds frigging amazing!

Last edited by Jackson98,

arianadark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the joycons work on dolphin (wii) ? I cant get pass the screen "press 2 to start" on new SMB wii
change the control type to wii remote sideways

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

does anyone know the most convenient way to either
a) switch off the console
b) switch off the display
c) get into sleep mode

any of the above will do ;). Is the fast method to do any of the above to just relaunch LAKKA into RCM/horizon, then just either sleep or shutdown from there? Also I remember a while ago screen burning would happen if Lakka was left too long in the menu, is that still a thing? Final question :P, does leaving Lakka overclocked affect anything outside of Lakka? i had heard tell rumours :P.

Woukd also like to give much kudos & appreciation and thanks to all the developers involved, Ive been craving an L4T version of Lakka for a fair while, and this sounds frigging amazing!
use reboot to rcm as sleep mode doesn't work atm.

Reactions: sou

Nonjas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Can someboy please tell me how to put the BIOS for dreamcast? Noob level please. I try to create a folder named System, but it seems already exists, but I see it as a file. I tried to use a program that it is supposed to let you access that folders because they seem to be ext4 or something like that, that is linux format. However, I can't. I used ext2explore and a couple more. With them I also see the folder as a file, so I can't do anything.

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
use reboot to rcm as sleep mode doesn't work atm.[/QUOTE]

I know about the lack of sleep mode in LAKKA, I've heard tell it might be a long way if it is indeed coming at all :P. Do you perchance know about weather leaving Lakka in the menu for extended periods of time can still leave a screen burn? Also was wondering weather overclocking LAKKA can affect horizon at all, any information would be awesome.

Last edited by Jackson98,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It it goes into sleep mode then what happens ? I haven't installed it yet because I feel that it is incomplete and I will wait for it to increase greatly improvement over times.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a the us .iso.
Run PSO on PC using Dolphin, make sure the save is RAW, then create your character/get in game. Then move that save over to Retroarch on the Switch. You'll be able to get into game that way.

Reactions: ErnieBall

ErnieBall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Run PSO on PC using Dolphin, make sure the save is RAW, then create your character/get in game. Then move that save over to Retroarch on the Switch. You'll be able to get into game that way.

Thanks, but like sj32 said, all you have to do is say no at the time/date screen and it will let you go on without problems.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got a Saturn game to last more than 5 mins with freezing? I've tried a few games and all freeze after a while making me hard reset the Switch.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someboy please tell me how to put the BIOS for dreamcast? Noob level please. I try to create a folder named System, but it seems already exists, but I see it as a file. I tried to use a program that it is supposed to let you access that folders because they seem to be ext4 or something like that, that is linux format. However, I can't. I used ext2explore and a couple more. With them I also see the folder as a file, so I can't do anything.

Use nxmtp to access your sd card without removing it through your usb type c cable.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nxmtp-access-your-sd-card-over-usb-without-rebooting.528783/

then open system and create a new folder called "dc" and put the bios in there. Done.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Has anyone got a Saturn game to last more than 5 mins with freezing? I've tried a few games and all freeze after a while making me hard reset the Switch.

After I got it working I've been playing all kinds of saturn games with no freezes. But I'm going to retest and play longer just to make sure here in a little while.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: