Kyocera Echo announced for Sprint

stab244

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kyocera-echo.jpg

Sprint promised us an "industry first" at its event today, and it certainly delivered: check out the Kyocera Echo, the first dual-screen Android phone. That's right, dual-screen -- that's two 3.5-inch 480 x 800 displays which can be unfolded and used as a single 4.7-inch 960 x 800 surface. The screens are connected by a slick sliding liquid-metal hinge that Kyocera's filed several patents on -- the phone can be closed and used like a regular single-screen phone, unfolded all the way, or propped up into the faux-laptop configuration shown above. Under the hood there's a 1GHz second-gen Snapdragon running Android 2.2 -- we'll forgive the older software because Kyocera had to do extensive customization to add dual-screen support to seven core apps like the browser, email, and messaging. The seven optimized apps can be run on each screen individually so you can have the browser up top and email below, and several of them include useful full-dual-screen views as well. There's also a new dual-screen app manager, which is brought up by tapping the two screens simultaneously. Unfortunately, third party apps can't be run in any of the new modes and just fill the entire display for now -- Kyocera and Sprint say an SDK is coming shortly.[/p]

* Dual 3.5-inch LCD WVGA (800 x 480 pixels) capacitive touchscreens (4.7 inches diagonally and 800 x 960 pixels when opened)
* Android 2.2 — Froyo
* 1GHz Snapdragon QSD 8650
* 5 megapixel camera with flash
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
* Wi-Fi
* EVDO Rev. A
* 115.0 x 56.5 x 17.2mm
* 193 grams (6.8 oz.)
[/p]

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/sprints...nnounced-we-go/

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Honestly, I don't see the point. I mean, it's really cool and stuff, but I don't see myself in need of having a phone with more than one screen. Even with smartphones running Android or iOS. And OK, so I can look at Facebook, and see my friend's photos on the bottom screen. So what? Honestly not too interested in this one.
mercluke said:
Ramonra said:
Makes me think of one of those things women use for making up.
... a mirror...?
rofl.gif

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
mercluke said:
Ramonra said:
Makes me think of one of those things women use for making up.
... a mirror...?

lancomeblushsubtilroseb.jpg

QUOTE(CarbonX13 @ Feb 8 2011, 03:03 AM)
Honestly, I don't see the point. I mean, it's really cool and stuff, but I don't see myself in need of having a phone with more than one screen. Even with smartphones running Android or iOS. And OK, so I can look at Facebook, and see my friend's photos on the bottom screen. So what? Honestly not too interested in this one.
for me it's like one big and foldable screen, you can even open it at 180°. Plus one screen can be used as a keyboard or could be used for the "gaming buttons" instead of blocking the main screen with your fingers.

There are pics and videos on the source.
wink2.gif

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
lostdwarf said:
I love it, could it emulate or could you buy DS games for it?

Yes Its so awesome.
God I love this phone. It has about as much power as my Playstation 4.

Lassik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
jan777 said:
lostdwarf said:
I love it, could it emulate or could you buy DS games for it?

Yes Its so awesome.
God I love this phone. It has about as much power as my Playstation 4.
rofl.gif

Have no intention of getting that at all, but still disappointing that the 2 screen still has a gap...

Me either. I don't give it long before it fades away.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Technically it's not the first Dual-screened phone. Plenty of old phones had a front screen and a main screen before this, but this is the first to have the ability to connect them together to form one giant screen, which is awesome by the sound of it. As long as the crack is not noticeable, it's a great idea.

Lassik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Technically it's not the first Dual-screened phone. Plenty of old phones had a front screen and a main screen before this, but this is the first to have the ability to connect them together to form one giant screen, which is awesome by the sound of it. As long as the crack is not noticeable, it's a great idea.

I believe the article stated that it was the first to have dual touchscreens not just dual screens. It's a cool concept but I doubt it will go far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455