E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Howdy fellas,

A couple weeks ago I got a 3.0 USB external HDD for the PS4. It works fine, the PS4 recognized it as a possible extended storage device and formated it.
I installed some fPKGs and everything... but there's a catch: if I let my console go on sleep mode for a "long" time (like, all night) the console will kernel panic AND after I reboot, it will say that my extended storage wasn't properly disconnected last time I used the console and it will force me to repair it since it's corrupted, deleting only DLCs that are on the extended storage, never games.

It's worth noting that even before the USB HDD I faced kernel panics, but they were a lot less common.

I know that rest mode for on 9.00 is slightly buggy than on other stable firmware versions, but it even happens after the release of Goldhen 2.1, and with the latest USB image from the pOOBs4's Github project page (from december 12 2021).

Is this expected behaviour on 9.00 Goldhen? Is there an issue with my extended storage HDD? Am I missing something?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about constant kp's. I'm on 5.05, and I never get them with rest mode. dlc being deleted is normal, but afaik, it's not actually deleted. the addcont.db is reverted to being blank aside from a theme, if you have one installed, and any legit dlc. it happens to me too, and I don't know why that is. I just keep a backup of my addcont.db, then inject it if I get a kp.

Reactions: E1ite007

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't know about constant kp's. I'm on 5.05, and I never get them with rest mode. dlc being deleted is normal, but afaik, it's not actually deleted. the addcont.db is reverted to being blank aside from a theme, if you have one installed, and any legit dlc. it happens to me too, and I don't know why that is. I just keep a backup of my addcont.db, then inject it if I get a kp.
Nice, you are totally right about the addcont.db (I already had backups of this, and I back it up every time I install a new fPKG).
But I don't have any legit DLC... although I did but I deleted it by accident, and I installed a fake version of it (Spider-Man's DLC).

Anyway, this fixes my issue of every time having to install all of my DLC and all Little Big Planet 3 DLC again (is around 250 files, is insane).

Now the issue with the kernel panics remain, but the major hassle at least is fixed. Thanks fam.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea why it (addcont.db) does that, if it's something implemented by sony or what? as for your kp's, it's probably not the usb drive. though, it scanning the usb drive for corruption is also normal. it will do that if extended storage is plugged in. maybe @Leeful has a suggestion or knows what's going on?

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a test you could try and unmount your extended storage before entering sleep mode (devices/stop using extended storage device)

Tomtani1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a kp yesterday while doing the goldhen jailbreak on my PS4 Pro 9.00. I had my extended drive connected so when the PS4 restarted I was prompted to repair my extended drive which I did. When the PS4 booted up the game icons took a longer amount of time to appear. In my game list some of my games had the yellow triangle, therefore, I could not run them. After another shutdown and reboot all of my games appeared normal worked again.

I did not know about the blanking of the addcont.db causing the DLCs on the extended storage to be deleted. Now I have to go back to check and reinstall all of the deleted DLCs. After that I will make a backup of the addcont.db.

Last edited by Tomtani1,

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always do this as have had similar issues coming back from rest mode and KP's on 9.00. I will start backing up the addcont.db as wasn't aware of the dlc being deleted issue. I have had to reinitialise my PS4 do to database corruption caused by a kp and the Database_Backup not fixing the issue.

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, that’s what I do, to avoid problems from coming to rest mode
I always do this as have had similar issues coming back from rest mode and KP's on 9.00. I will start backing up the addcont.db as wasn't aware of the dlc being deleted issue. I have had to reinitialise my PS4 do to database corruption caused by a kp and the Database_Backup not fixing the issue.

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had a KP on rest mode with external storage. Been in and out of rest all weekend. What I would LOVE to do though is find a faster way to speed up the detection when plugging in the external…. Takes 35 min to scan my 5TB drive.

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it doesn’t if you remove all legit DLC?

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
Is this expected behaviour on 9.00 Goldhen? Is there an issue with my extended storage HDD? Am I missing something?
Im using 9.00 goldhen 2.1.1 and extended storage works fine for me after rest mode.

im using a external drive, well you can say assembled it together as USB External hdd using:

- WD Blue 8TB Desktop Drive 3.5inch
- Orico 3.5inch HDD enclosure USB 3.0 with UASP

the only thing I need to do when waking my ps4 from rest mode is power on the USB HDD first and wait for 10seconds, then you can power up the ps4 from rest mode. If I failed to do this, PS4 still boots up fine with all the goldhen and stuff still running, its just going to throw a fit for not unplugging the USB Extended Storage and force closed the running game that is stored on Extended storage. As for Kernel Panic, never experienced that specifically cause by USB extended storage.

Tomtani1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on Firmware 9.00. Once in awhile when I am doing the Goldhen jailbreaking I get a Kernel Panic. The KP happens when I have my external storage device connected. After I restart the PS4 my fpkg games load up but the DLCs do not show up. I followed Modded Warfare and did a DB Backup ahead of time. So when I got the Kernel Panic this time around, I did the DB Restore but it did not work.

What worked is by following the instruction from a person by the name of drlucas77. I was able to get my DLCs to show up. Here is what drlucas77 wrote:

"Please note that, at least on FW 9.00, there is no need for any script to rebuild the database of content from the EXTENDED/EXTERNAL storage. I was able to restore the external drive content into the database on FW 9.00.
Steps:
1) Reboot the PS4
2) Jailbreak with GoldHen V2b2
3) Go to Settings -> Devices -> USB Storage Devices
4) Click the listed external storage -> Stop Using This Extended Storage
5) Select Use This Extended Storage.
This should start scanning it and add the missing content within a few minutes, depending on the size, drive/cable speed and data you have."

This method worked for me and I highly recommend it if your DLCs do not show up.

Last edited by Tomtani1,

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am on Firmware 9.00. Once in awhile when I am doing the Goldhen jailbreaking I get a Kernel Panic. The KP happens when I have my external storage device connected. After I restart the PS4 my fpkg games load up but the DLCs do not show up. I followed Modded Warfare and did a DB Backup ahead of time. So when I got the Kernel Panic this time around, I did the DB Restore but it did not work.

What worked is by following the instruction from a person by the name of drlucas77. I was able to get my DLCs to show up. Here is what drlucas77 wrote:

"Please note that, at least on FW 9.00, there is no need for any script to rebuild the database of content from the EXTENDED/EXTERNAL storage. I was able to restore the external drive content into the database on FW 9.00.
Steps:
1) Reboot the PS4
This should start scanning it and add the missing content within a few minutes, depending on the size, drive/cable speed and data you have."

This method worked for me and I highly recommend it if your DLCs do not show up.
Backing up the addcont.db and reinjecting it after a kp is much quicker and will restore the missing dlc :)

Bobo_34

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Steps:
1) Reboot the PS4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over