Kotaku: Playstation Move Midnight Launch Photos

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SPH73, Sep 18, 2010.

Sep 18, 2010
  1. SPH73
    OP

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    [​IMG]

Source

I live in the largest city in the United States. We only had one midnight launch in the city and only 4 people turned out, including myself.

--

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I wouldn't expect a lineup for the Playstation Move.
    It isn't a console or something that would appeal to those that would line-up for a device.

3. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I wouldn't judge this too harshly, as SoulSnatcher stated, this isn't a hot game or a new console. Its a peripheral (albeit a relatively advanced one). Beyond that I don't know about you folks, but I watch TV quite regularly. The big American networks especially (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX), and I have yet to see a single advertisement for the Move., and if I have, they made no impression. Perhaps I'm just regularly missing them, or tuning them out, but it seems as if this hasn't been marketed at all.

I expect the big sales with this sort of product to come from bundles. New PS3 owners who happen to buy the Move bundle and show their friends and family. Word of mouth will eventually catch up with this product. Or it could fizzle out and be a total failure, goodness knows that happens to peripherals, even the most innovative ones, all the time.

4. SPH73
    OP

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    That's not how thing worked with the Wii. It was pretty much explosive since it first debuted at E3. Move lines at e3 2010 were tiny. There is no buzz around the product and the only people who care about it are the Sony faithful, who a year ago said they despised motion control gaming. (I still remember the Chad Warden virals)

Most people will see the Move and think "so it's just like the Wii." Then they'll turn 360 degrees and walk way. People expecting this thing to sell are in for a rude awakening.

--

5. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    It'll take a while before Move kicks off. Right now there's no truly mindblowing games announced. Nothing aside from a few advanced tech demos. Kinect at least has a Star Wars game in the pipeline. The day a Final Fantasy game with motion controls is announced so I can make up my own moves is the day I start taking motion controls seriously.

6. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    lol, 360 degrees is a full circle. [​IMG]

7. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you'd be walking towards it. [​IMG]

8. Ace Gunman

Canada
    Sure, sure. No question there. The difference here is that the Wii was an all-in-one system for the lower-end consumer, peripherals included. Whereas the price of all of the PS3 and all the Move components (to get the truest experience) is 2 - 3 Wiis, and is aimed at the higher-end HD-minded consumer.

I think its a mistake for Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) to think they can capture that Wii magic in its entirety with a peripheral that wasn't part of their core console from the get go. In all likelihood these products will see moderate success, then with the next generation they'll finally realize the only way to truly sell a motion controller is in the box from day one.

I think we could apply the Guitar Hero and Rock Band phenomenon to this discussion. Historically peripherals had not sold before Guitar Hero. The reason everyone and their brother has a guitar controller this time around is because it came attached to the game, and then found uses with a series of other games beyond that initial purchase.

Whereas if we look at, say, Hey You Pikachu! with its mic attachment, that was barely useful for the game it came with, and then never needed to be touched again.

9. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    When people start seeing move enabled games they'll start buying.

10. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    [​IMG]

11. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    you mean shooters or casual shit that's all it's gonna be used for [​IMG]

12. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
  13. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Sony's just doing a soft launch, hoping for word of mouth, will probably start advertising it once it actually gets a killer app

14. SPH73
    OP

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Is that what they're calling it now? [​IMG]

Move has seen plenty of advertising. I don't know about people outside of the US but I've seen plenty of TV spots and there are tons of ads in the various stores. Plus there's been a lot of advertising online.

Move is a flop. That's the real truth. It flopped and its only going to get worse, not better.

I hate saying this because I just bought the Sports Champion bundle and the Navigation Controller. (Why do you think I was at that midnight launch?)

After spending some time with Sports Champions I can say if you like Wii Sports you'll hate Sports Champions.

--

15. Ace Gunman

Canada
    I think its a bit early to call it a flop. However, it would be appropriate to call it a failure to launch.

With that said, I would like to make one additional comment. It is an impossibility for a product that starts out badly to do worse than better. Even one sale beyond the initial launch is technically better. They cannot go into minus sales, after all. [​IMG]

16. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    [​IMG]

If a shuttle fails to launch, it won't be goin very high...

17. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
  18. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I can see it now...

Sony: "Our analysists have concluded from their research that the Playstation Move did not sell well because of the ongoing piracy that has been plaguing this generation of video games."

19. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Nail on the head, and it's pretty much why it will fail, just like Kinect will. Microsoft and Sony's arrogance towards motion control gaming is a joke, and it's very obvious that they have admitted that what Nintendo did was genius and they hope to cash in on a popular idea that really isn't going very far now due to the limitations of the Wii hardware from a games development standpoint, so much more could be done with a more robust system with more current technology instead of a slightly modified Xbox/Gamecube. The fact that it has take a few years for them to finally develop and adopt the motion control systems puts them lightyears behind Nintendo in the development side of things, meanwhile Nintendo can go ahead and advance their hardware to make a system that will be unique and the next best thing with far more power then the Wii due to having such a huge success with it has brought them huge financial gain.

20. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Remember those commercials where the old guy from Sony bashed Nintendo for using motion-sensing, bar-shaped controllers?

Remember those commercials where Sega would shout "Genesis does what NINTEN-DON'T!"?

Remember what happened to Sega when they couldn't back up their claims with their next big release?

Yeah...

Think about that.