Hacking Korean Wii: I was the guniea pig

hanguker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Korean Wii (3.3K). There is very little testing or information about these guys.
Everyone has been so helpful at gbatemp, so I thought I'd share my experiences with installing various things on my 3.3K Wii.
I am not an expert. I'm just a guy who has tried trial and error and chewed a lot of fingernails.

I have (or have had) installed:

- D2sun chip (shop installed this)
- HBC (Region Free, Gecko, Wad Manager 1.3, Anytitle deleter) (shop installed HBC)
- IOSs for Madworld, et al (via wad manager)
- Preloader 0.29 (Bootmii apparently doesn't work with my Korean Boot1 hash (as tested by the utility from Hackmii), so I had to go with Preloader.
That was the scariest thing to install because it messes with the booting and has a brick warning.)
- Some game and channel Wads (varying success, must be NTSC)
- Usb loader GX (1.0) 320GB ext. HDD + official forwarder **run all games with English language setting for best compatibility**
- I've brick-blocked everything. AFAIK you shouldn't do any game updates. Just download the IOS you need.

I CAN'T GUARANTEE ANYTHING WILL WORK. I CAN'T GUARANTEE NO BRICKS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WII.
Though I can't promise anything, everything listed above has worked fine for me. I hope it gives you some peace of mind if you have a Korean Wii.
In my experience, it has been rather robust, and appears to work like any other Wii.

Be careful, RTFMs and good luck.

hanguker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that it should install fine, but is quite limited in its functionality for brick-proofing. Also, I haven't tried it because I don't have a need.

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just avoid koreans wii's like a plague to skip all that headache.
i don't know what the fuck nintendo korea is thinking.
i mean korean wii's can't even run original gamecube games... it's like they purposedly fucked it up and handicapped it.
and they can't run pal, ntsc, ntsc-j... they can only run korean-coded games.
and they only released so few games it's really pathetic... i mean they just released mario kart like 2 weeks ago lol.

i have a korean friend who got so sick and tired of his wii while trying to mod it, he tried to sell it real cheap ($90), but i said no thanks.

seriously, avoid korean wii's.

hanguker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dlxowhd said:
just avoid koreans wii's like a plague to skip all that headache.
seriously, avoid korean wii's.

Did you even read my post?
blink.gif

Once HBC is installed, you're golden. I have to agree,unmodded K-Wii's suck...but just chip it.
All of the new chips work fine on K-Wii...and some people live in Korea where it's hard to find a non-Korean Wii.

EDIT: Actually, everything I've tried has worked with the exception of Bootmii. However, I haven't tried everything. I haven't tried any emulators or mp3/dvd programs, but I have no doubt they would work.
Apparently, you can hack a K-Wii to play Gamecube, but I haven't looked into that yet.

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i was talking about softmodding.
it's such a bitch to softmod korean wii and even if you manage to softmod it, mii channel refuses to work and other stuff fuckig up down the road.. i've heard so many horror stories of korean wii's softmodding.

hanguker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dlxowhd said:
yeah i was talking about softmodding.
it's such a bitch to softmod korean wii and even if you manage to softmod it, mii channel refuses to work and other stuff fuckig up down the road.. i've heard so many horror stories of korean wii's softmodding.

Agreed. A Korean Wii must be chipped first.

hanguker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good news, but I didn't see any mention of the bannerbomb in that thread. However, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The thread talks about changing regions. I've not the balls to try changing the region of my K-Wii, though. Everything works just fine.
smile.gif

spideyogie

Trophies
XP
Country
i see that you can install preloader,
i also own korean wii, and im thinking to install preloader, because it seems that i cant install bootmii

the problem is i cannot find specific settings for korean wii (hacks.ini)

i wonder if you can share your setting (hacks.ini) file?

hanguker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just used the default "hack.ini" that came with the package I downloaded.

I've been thinking of adjusting the hack file in the future to do some hacks. I will let you know.

Check the tutorial section in this site to find out about installing Preloader.

hanguker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kavid said:
preloader can't run on korea system.

LOL...Please read the first post before making a pointless comment. I've loaded it on mine.

Unless, of course you mean that the new 3.5K won't allow it. Of this I'm uncertain.

powser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've had a korean wii (original 3.3K), regioned to U (with the usual tools). Now it's 4.0U, i've used normal guides that u can find everywhere and have reporte dmy success in threads like "ultimate 4.0 guide".

There's no difference in a korean wii other than the reigon settings and addition IOS installed. zzz

And while I don't know if newer sets are like LU64, the set I bought a couple a months back isn't LU64, but boot1 non-vulnerable.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's nice to see the Korean systems are softmod-able...You have preloader on 3.3K. Wonder if it works on 3.5K?

Now maybe just a little bit off topic, but:

Since people can make Korean Wiis into US/Pal/Jap units, has anyone successfully region-changed a US wii into a Korean one? I've heard you can if you somehow patch the Korean IOS wads before installing them. (something to do with the lack of Korean key on US/Pal/Jap Systems). If so, how does one go about doing it?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
powser said:
i've had a korean wii (original 3.3K), regioned to U (with the usual tools). Now it's 4.0U, i've used normal guides that u can find everywhere and have reporte dmy success in threads like "ultimate 4.0 guide".

There's no difference in a korean wii other than the reigon settings and addition IOS installed. zzz

And while I don't know if newer sets are like LU64, the set I bought a couple a months back isn't LU64, but boot1 non-vulnerable.
IIRC it also has an additional key for Korean discs also.

powser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
9th_Sage said:
powser said:

IIRC it also has an additional key for Korean discs also.

I'm not sure about this "key", but basically korean games run off another series of IOS (40+ for 3.2) , which i promptly deleted (not the best thing to do, but I simply do not have access to any Korean Games, not sold in anywhere I live at).

Pip_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I have a Korean Wii too.
Once u used any region changer and system menu v289, the Wii behave just like a USA Wii.
No problem at all.

Ess_uk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I changed the region of my 3.3k Korean Wii to 3.2U using Kavid's guides successfully. The chip I use is a "Flatmii" in standalone, no drive connected!!!

This was all offline installation and things have been running beautifully so far (punch-out, conduit, virtua tennis including wii motion plus video, Madworld via adding required WADs thru wad manager, everything!).

I thought I had removed all of the remnants of the Korean system files (removed Korean shop/weather/mii channels and replaced with U.S versions).

However, I think I was wrong. I have just tried to connect to wifi for the 1st time thru my spanking new Nintendo usb wifi adapter to be met with nintendo wi-fi registration tool displaying my wii with Korean symbols before the time ie:

"console name 2009-07-16 오전02:17"

Any ideas if it's safe to connect it up??? Obviously, don't want a brick....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night