Konami temporarily delisting all digital releases of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 due to historical footage licensing

snakey.png

The Metal Gear franchise has a tendency to focus on war as part of its main narrative, and is one that frequently uses real-world historical facts in order to reinforce the story's impact. In the case of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, they even utilized archival footage from events such as the Cold War. Because of that, both games are being taken down from digital storefronts.

Konami has been unable to acquire the licensing required to keep both games listed on storefronts, and so they will be "temporarily" delisting Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 from a variety of platforms. Some of these include the recent GOG release of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, the 3DS's Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, both the PlayStation 3 and Vita's releases of the standalone Metal Gear Solid 2 HD and 3 HD, as well as the PlayStation Now streaming version of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which means it'll also result in the takedown of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD, despite being uninvolved in the licensing issue.

Which products will be temporarily removed?​

・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION
・PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
・PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
・PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
・PlayStation™Now METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
・Xbox 360 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION: 2 & 3
・Nintendo 3DS METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
・GOG.com METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SUBSTANCE
・NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD for SHIELD TV
・NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 3 HD for SHIELD TV

Konami has not mentioned when they will be able to put these games back on digital storefronts, but they'll be gone sometime later today, on November 8th.

:arrow: Source

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now that I've noticed, we really need a re-release of the series for current consoles.

It must be hard to need a PS3, X360, PS Vita or 3DS just to play Metal Gear Solid 3 (and some of those consoles like 3DS don't even run the game that well).

I think it difficult for games to be added back to the store on these consoles even more considering that most are on life support at the moment.

Reactions: ZipMartin

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
Now that I've noticed, we really need a re-release of the series for current consoles.

It must be hard to need a PS3, X360, PS Vita or 3DS just to play Metal Gear Solid 3 (and some of those consoles like 3DS don't even run the game that well).

I think it difficult for games to be added back to the store on these consoles even more considering that most are on life support at the moment.

It's backward compatable on the xbox one/seriesx

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Am i the one that figured out the reason they're renewing the license of the footage is because of the re released that was leaked in the GeForce Now leak?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
this is just really weird... like why do you even need to licence historical media at all?

The footage will still be subject to copyright and I doubt this counts as ‘fair use’.

The rights holders may also have changed their policy over the years and/or the cost simply not worth it to Konami.

For example of a change (which to be clear I’m not say is the cause), The Smithsonian Channel caused the Smithsonian to restrict access to material:
https://www.historians.org/publicat...oncerns-about-smithsonians-deal-with-showtime

Looking at the credits on mobygames, I can’t see a single source for footage but it does involve private companies such as ABC/Disney for MGS2:Substance (which again I’m not saying may be the single cause):
Real Life Footage SupplyingIMAGICA Corp., FRONT LINE INC., ABCNEWS VIDEOSOURCE
https://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/metal-gear-solid-2-substance/credits

Reactions: Chary

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

At this point, another legacy collection might as well be put out if they have to renew license for this stuff. Besides the gog one which could easily be put on other "PC STORE FRONTS" I doubt much money will be made on the ps3/vita or xbox 360 (unless is one of the compatible titles on newer xboxes) or the 3DS. Actually surprised to See Nvidia Shield versions here. That means even Nintendo Switch could play them. All the more reason to get them out. (Hopefully not digital only release) :ninja:

Funny how they are more concerned with licensing stuff like this when they have games like Gradius, Contra, & Castlevania Rebirth games from the wiiware that could have been added to a collection for modern consoles. Let's not forget Contra Hard Corps Uprising too.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. I just hate when games get delisted, but at least you can still buy them physically.

Once media goes all digital it's gonna be a shitshow of media going missing when you least expect it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, another legacy collection might as well be put out if they have to renew license for this stuff. Besides the gog one which could easily be put on other "PC STORE FRONTS" I doubt much money will be made on the ps3/vita or xbox 360 (unless is one of the compatible titles on newer xboxes) or the 3DS. Actually surprised to See Nvidia Shield versions here. That means even Nintendo Switch could play them. All the more reason to get them out. (Hopefully not digital only release) :ninja:

Funny how they are more concerned with licensing stuff like this when they have games like Gradius, Contra, & Castlevania Rebirth games from the wiiware that could have been added to a collection for modern consoles. Let's not forget Contra Hard Corps Uprising too.
Konami doesn't care much for quality games these days. Have you seen the trainwreck that's PES 2022? Well, they rebranded as "eFootball 2022."

The graphics are terrible, gameplay is terrible, and the camera is terrible.

Better they stick with gambling machines.

Reactions: DoctorDizzyspin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night