Kojima to receive the 2015 Hall of Fame Award at D.I.C.E

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    u0d38fjp5nz4a6ml21ud.png

Hideo Kojima won't be barred from assisting the next big gaming event! The now-independent Metal Gear creator will be presented the 2015 Hall of Fame Award at D.I.C.E by his partner in the now-defunct Silent Hills, Guillermo del Toro. The 19th D.I.C.E. Awards ceremony will be held on Thursday, February 18, 2016, at the Mandalay Convention Center in Las Vegas.

The news come after a year filled with a roller coaster of emotions for the creator, what with rumors of Konami firing Kojima, having his name stripped from his latest creation, prevented from attending The Video Game Awards 2015 and Kojima finally leaving Konami in December and forming his independent studio the same day, with a game under development for PC and PS4! Whew! Finally he is getting rewarded for his hard work, dedication and contribution to the video game industry.

More info: http://www.interactive.org/news/hideo_kojima_hall_of_fame.asp

nxwing, mgrev, Jiehfeng and 9 others like this.
  2. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    This man deserves any award coming to him! Konami is evil.

Zero Dozer, Prans and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  3. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Firebomb, Firebomb, Konami HQ.

nxwing, Prans and BurningDesire like this.
  4. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    ISIS?

Prans likes this.
  5. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    Fuck Konami.

Hail Kojima.

Zero Dozer and nxwing like this.
  6. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    The worst thing to me is thinking about the stress Kojima must have been under due to dealings with #fuckonami; seeing him receive support like this really makes me feel good. We all love you, Kojima, and I wish you all the best.

Zero Dozer and Prans like this.
  7. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    A shame MGSV never reached the vision he had for it.

Zero Dozer likes this.
  8. kelbiiz

kelbiiz Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2015
    Thanks for information ...

Prans likes this.
  9. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I for one am of the opinion that Hideo is no saint. And there were more than one instance where I was convinced that Kojima seemed to be going out of his way to express that "I don't want to make games anymore! let me make movies!" followed by some really frustrating decisions of his. I am especially in the "down with Raiden" camp, and never liked the guy as a character. So when I saw the Youtube of the finale of MGR, I found myself rooting for Senator Armstrong. :hrth:

That said, Konami absolutely deserves all the bad karma that they are getting. With Hideo leaving, it will hopefully mean that Kojima could finally get to make something besides yet another Metal Gear entry. Though the new logo for his Sony-exclusive studio doesn't assuage my concerns as of yet. :tpi:

Still, I can't take away from the best examples of his work, and an unprecedented production value that shines through everything he puts out. For that, I can absolutely respect the recognition he has received.

Prans likes this.
  10. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    Of course, Kojima has his quirks that define him and that's what he is most known for. But he didn't deserve the treatment Konami imposed on him.

I'm glad to see that he is independent now, so yeah hopefully we'll see more of what he can conjure.

BurningDesire likes this.
  11. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    They've had ups and downs but Kojima never deserved how Konami treated him. With him gone, they're a Mobile only platform now. Hopefully we can get amazing games from his new studio, hopefully a spiritual successor to Silent Hill even.

Prans likes this.
  12. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    It's no secret that Hideo wanted to be a movie director/producer much more than a video game maker.

I remember seeing/viewing one of the many documentaries on him. I think one of them was from a freshly translated GameCenter CX episode. Guy mentioned how on his first week at Konami, since he had a relatively new title at the time, nobody then respected him, and were like "bah, wake us when you actually make a full game." He would then go on to make about 29 titles for Konami, probably not including all the Metal Gears.

The fact that he rose above that or was motivated by his then haters is one thing I can absolutely respect about Hideo. But as a player, there are at least as many things I can say I find aggravating about his games, and his so-called brand of humor. I also take issue with saying he's "independent", when the announcement pretty much spelled out that he's getting a second-party studio for Sony. Which means everything from here on is PlayStation exclusive. And I already have enough bad blood with Sony. :bortz2:

13. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Bro....thats what you call strategic planning to secure revenue. The guy is well known, if you were with either Sony or Microsoft ( Gaming department ) than you should know this guys a big deal. MS probably didn't see something but Sony did so they jumped on the chance to scoop him up and make it exclusive. I guess MS assumed they had all the great gam dev's they need......

14. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    Well his first independent game is to be released for PS4 and PC, so not so much of an exclusive. However, following Kojima's trend, it's likely that there would be more Sony-fist games and he might think of going cross-platform. Hope we can see some of his games on Nintendo consoles...

15. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    What was Nintendo's excuse? I half expected them to make a move of some kind.

16. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Who knows, by now everybody should know that Nintendo is always in there own world.