Kojima says MGS3D is a remake created from scratch for 3DS

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe because based on everything we've seen, it looks like some half-assed port compared to the Naked Snake demo he showed before.
yes, it does look like a half-assed port. and it even seems like it plays as more of an interactive movie. if i had a 3DS i wouldn't buy this, despite my love for the MG series.
but kojima says it's remade from the ground up. that's more solid than big ass babies whining that it isn't a remake, and it's just a port.
wait until the game is released and then rip the rom apart if/when it gets dumped.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it is a remake, it kinda um... sad(?) that it look like a lazy/quick enhance port.

How can I put this...
5 vs one game for like $10(?) more seem like more bang for your buck.

Reactions: 1 person

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it is a remake, it kinda um... sad(?) that it look like a lazy/quick enhance port.

How can I put this...
That is true. And look at the better graphics.
But, as it has been stated, it was BUILT for the 3DS, so sacrifices must be made.

D

Deleted_171835

How can I put this...
That is true. And look at the better graphics.
But, as it has been stated, it was BUILT for the 3DS, so sacrifices must be made.
If you look at the Naked Snake demo, the game looked beautiful. That was made for the 3DS.

The system is capable of much more. Kojima just seems not to care enough to put the extra effort into doing so.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at the Naked Snake demo, the game looked beautiful. That was made for the 3DS.

The system is capable of much more. Kojima just seems not to care enough to put the extra effort into doing so.

I thought Kojima wasn't even involved in this "remake".

I gave it some credit until the Vita version of MGS HD Collection was announced. Now it's just a joke of a "remake". It's either a shit port or one of the worst remakes in recent gaming. Either way, no one wins.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
sigqz.png

Let's run over the facts of the first demo.

A1 - The first demo given looked great.
A2 - The first demo was just a port as a tech demo.

All fits so far? Okay. Lets' run over some facts about the second demo.

B1 - The second demo looks worse.
B2 - The second demo is of the actual game.
B3 - A head figure involved says it's being created from scratch.

Everybody still with me? Okay then. Let us consider some more facts about game development.

C1 - If you port an engine and resources, you have a finished version in less time than it takes to remake it.
C2 - If you remake an engine and resources, it takes a lot more time than a port, and during the production the product is generally worse because it's not done yet.

Now let's look at another fact about the second demo.

B4 - The second demo is of a game that is still in progress, it has yet to be completed.

A little gold star sticker goes to the first person who can figure out what I'm saying!

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In other words yu guys are all deciding this game is shit because of a demo of an unfinished game.

@Rydian: Do I get the sticker ^_^?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
so... is Hideo Kojima starting to get all barmy, or are we being fed images that are sub-par to the actual finished product? Is he gonna surprise us like that?

I hope so, for his sake. Else he'd be forever remembered as the man who trolled the world.

EDIT: posted without reading Rydian's post. so it seems other people ARE thinking there might be some weight to that confidence in Kojima's statement. and it got delayed too, so that gives further points to ponder on. let's just hope we're on the right track and Kojima does surprise us come March.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait before doubting it 'cause b2 can become a1 due to more development.

I think people are even doubting that they would even improve it from what they last saw even with the extra time...

After I think about it, the quality of the 3d most like wouldn't be as good as a converted 3d game.

I mean it is possible the are just trying to surprise.
I don't think it has even been a year for it development.

We will see...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A demo, however, should be the best representation of a game's quality a developer can muster. It's supposed to highlight and showcase the strengths of the game to give people a positive impression.

When they can't muster that, though, it's not a good sign. That doesn't necessarily mean the game is destined for failure or anything, but it isn't encouraging. Couple that with another port coming along that offers much more in the way of content, and the naysaying is a lot more justified.

Again, is failure the only option? No. Are things looking good for this game? Also, no.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Is that the reason why the framerate at demos are so fail?

Kojima please don't disappoint me (even when I already give up on the game)

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
LOLS this is lyke soooooo funny laugh with me fellow fanboys! looooooooooool omg this is hilarious yeah right kojima whatever u says lols
remade from ground up?! LOLS OK WHATEVER U SAYS KOJIMA.
omg this is hilarious. cmon fanboys laugh with me!

oh wait.
it's not very funny at all.
why's everyone so butthurt that it's a remake and not a port/remaster?
why is that so hard for all of you to comprehend?
We aren't butthurt just laughing at Kojima trolling us again.

D

Deleted_171835

Resident Evil looked awesome every time we've seen it. MGS 3D looked like shit every time we've seen it. That should say wonders.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOLS this is lyke soooooo funny laugh with me fellow fanboys! looooooooooool omg this is hilarious yeah right kojima whatever u says lols
remade from ground up?! LOLS OK WHATEVER U SAYS KOJIMA.
omg this is hilarious. cmon fanboys laugh with me!

oh wait.
it's not very funny at all.
why's everyone so butthurt that it's a remake and not a port/remaster?
why is that so hard for all of you to comprehend?
Actually, everyone is laughing because it really ISN'T a remake, Kojima is absolutely full of shit. Had they remade the game from the ground up and optimized it for the 3DS hardware like Kojima actually says they did, the game would not be suffering from- a much lower framerate than the original (especially during cutscenes), downgraded lower res textures than the original, lower polygon models than the original, etc. Nor would it look almost exactly identical. It would look better, not worse. The 3DS game is so similar to the PS2 version that you can literally compare cutscenes and gameplay from both side-by-side. There's virtually no difference and they sync up exactly. The one difference you will notice are visual downgrades. Most horribly the framerate, which is not only ugly but actually interferes with gameplay and makes the game disorienting and dizzifying to view. The only real announced enhancements are the camera camouflage mechanic and implementing some control mechanics from Peace Walker. Nothing major, barely enough to qualify it as an "enhanced port". And the fact that the visuals were considerably downgraded and given a shitty framerate destroys the quality of anything they may have added.

The game HAS improved however, between the builds they showed at E3 and TGS. They managed to re-implement the original lighting back in from the PS2 version and enhance the environments somewhat. It's plausible the game could still receive improvements yet-
http://i1179.photobu...DComparison.jpg

It has been delayed until March 8th when it was originally intended for this holiday. This was due to the slide pad addon being implemented as an optional control scheme, but it's likely the game is getting other tweaks as well. So the ugly visuals and poor framerate could easily be cleaned up over that time. However, the game will still remain a port. Kojima seems very out of touch with what actually constitutes a remake. Likely him making a sales pitch though than anything else.

Resident Evil looked awesome every time we've seen it. MGS 3D looked like shit every time we've seen it. That should say wonders.
MGS3D looked great the first time we saw it actually. When it was shown as "the Naked Sample" at E3 2010 it was intended to be a full-on remake. This is what it originally looked like before it was downgraded into the current lazy port it is now-

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Had they remade the game from the ground up and optimized it for the 3DS hardware like Kojima actually says they did, the game would not be suffering from- a much lower framerate than the original (especially during cutscenes), downgraded lower res textures than the original, lower polygon models than the original, etc.
I think everybody that's never made a game needs to stop talking.

That IS how the shit works.

Games ARE laggy and ugly when they're unfinished!

I mean jesus fucking christ guys.

You all might as well be going around laughing at einstein for claiming he's working on a single bomb that "can supposedly end a war with just two of them lol what bullshit bombs don't work like that".

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
To be more specific, games are laggy when the engine is still a work in progress. It hasn't been optimized and is often undergoing changes so many things are done in slower methods because it's simple to code and the code can change even near completion. Resources (models and textures and such) are the same way, there's often changes (sometimes major) during production, and the same time spent making one model with great detail can be spent making a couple of models with low detail, which means that you get to start testing and producing scenes/things using those models faster... And using low-quality resources during production means that the laggy engine is less of an annoyance during testing anyways, so there's not much of a need to make high-quality ones other than mockups for screenshots.

I mean just read things like this...

http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/DSblog.html (DS(2)x86 developer blog, mentions program efficiency and testing)
http://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_64 (cut and unfinished content)
http://tcrf.net/Proto:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%28Genesis%29/Simon_Wai_Prototype (mentions mockups made for magazines and stuff)

This stuff is common in game development. It's How Shit Works™.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian:
Note: One very common thing done in game production. Basic models/textures/graphics will be used instead of the finished versions to make the game easier to progressively be developed. If a company like Kojimas was using the basic textures when showing off the game, the game would appear to look very bad. The finished textures would obviously not be introduced until the game was complete.

A good example of this is Minecraft. Minecraft never got any finished models/textures. That is why the game looks the way it looks. It was done on purpose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's very sad and a poignant example of why preservation is so important.