Kojima’s Project Ogre will tackle “delicate, taboo” issues

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Mar 20, 2012.

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/kojimas-project-ogre-will-tackle-delicate-and-taboo-issues/

More at source.

2. MEGAMANTROTSKY

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Kojima actually wants to tackle "real world issues"? This might be interesting to see. I just hope that he doesn't muddy it up with the plot devices that he used in the Metal Gear series. I've never gotten over the existence of "Solidus".

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Because the issues of Cold War, nuclear deterrence and the question of identity are not real-life issues that were relevant, especially when the series begun. Also, solidus is an actual chemistry term, refering to the locust of temperature between solid and liquid state. See the connection?

4. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I like it that he takes the Wii U seriously. He doesn't want to throw a port on there with a few extra features, he'd rather build something around the system its self. Good attitude.

That said oh god this better not be another MGS2

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Is this the new excuse now?

The Wii U has a standard controller with a touch-screen. There's no reason not to bring it.

6. Sylar1

Member Sylar1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I hope he tackles the issue of leaving the toilet seat up

7. MEGAMANTROTSKY

United States
    You know, you could have at least looked up a definition of "plot device" before jumping down my throat: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Plot_device

In my opinion, Solidus is an example of a half-assed plot device. I don't care where he lies in spectrum of temperature, Kojima took the clone subplot too far. Solidus left little impact and his existence felt like a cop out. This is not to mention the inclusion of Raidan. Liquid controlling Ocelot with his arm is another. It borders on ludicrous, and it was hard to take the game seriously. Anyway, that is what I was referring to, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

8. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Forgive me, I thought it "annoyed" you for entirely different reasons.

9. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I've thought of both of these and left me wondering, should I be pessimistic or optimistic about that comment...

10. MEGAMANTROTSKY

United States
    It's cool.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    For the record, when telling their friends about the history of Metal Gear Solid to a friend, most Metal Gear Solid fans say Metal Gear Solid, have a large cough, and then say Metal Gear Solid 3.

I think Kojima was trying to sink the franchise more than the Big Shell but people still fucking loved it so he was forced to make Metal Gear Solid 3. My theory continues by Kojima realizing that Metal Gear Solid 3 could be his swan song (good things come in threes, right?) by putting all his effort into making a game with deep mechanics and incredible storytelling. Then they said "METAL GEAR SOLID 4 OR WE'LL KILL YOUR FAMILY" and Kojima went "well fuck".

12. Sappoide

Member Sappoide Advanced Member

Italy
    Maybe Kojima-sensei has already a project in mind for the Wii u console. Let's give him some time, I'm sure he won't disappoint us.

13. MEGAMANTROTSKY

United States
    I guess I didn't understand that. I didn't think there would be any ambiguity with using the "Metal Gear series" as a catch all term for the franchise. Granted, I've only played Solid 1 (Gamecube) and 2 (PC), but I at least knew that the MSX games were part of the continuity. As for your theory, I suspect you're largely right. I'm hoping that this Ogre project will help his growth as a game director, and that he won't only be well known for one franchise.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well MGS2 was awesome when it came out since it was a rather good update, mechanics wise, of the original Metal Gear Solid. It added first person aiming and some rather cutting edge graphics when it was released. Everyone hated that they replaced Snake as the protagonist, and that protagonist was a lame whiny son of a bitch until Metal Gear Solid 4 at least made him cool.

I definitely suggest Metal Gear Solid 3 though, it has a lot of great themes, like patriotism, loyalty, betrayal, and nature vs. nurture. Gameplay was also made infinitely deep, almost frustratingly so. There's so many things you can do in that game that it's mind boggling. From all the different CQC techniques to camoflauge to weapons, it's what many will say is the best Metal Gear game and possibly even the best game period.

15. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Do you remember what day it is, Jack?

16. Sappoide

Member Sappoide Advanced Member

Italy
    For me every Metal Gear Solid game is a masterpiece but I agree with Guild McCommunist: MGS3 remains the best of all, everything is great in it: setting, plot, gameplay, characters, everything. Metal Gear Solid on ps1 still has it's charm, I would play it over and over. The fourth chapter is the great conclusion of the series and I think it should not have a sequel.

17. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Are we discussing favourites because mine is Peace Walker.

Pi is....

Pi is....

..... About 3.

18. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Chances are it will be a theme fit for a military game such as ethnic cleansing or genocide, it can't be anything else.

19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Tenn pregnancy?

Wait no FF6 already did that.

20. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I have sneaking suspicion that this delicate, taboo issue will just turn out to be nanomachines.