Koichi Sugiyama, composer for the Dragon Quest series, has passed away at age 90

Koichi-Sugiyama.jpg

Today, Square Enix sadly announced that legendary video game composer Koichi Sugiyama had passed away on September 30th. Sugiyama had been with the company since its Enix days in 1985, where he created the soundtrack to the original Dragon Quest for the NES. He would go on to create a legacy by composing songs for the franchise for the next 35 years, including every mainline entry all the way up to Dragon Quest XI, and the many spinoffs, like Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Monsters, and more. Prior to his death, he was also working on tracks for the still in development Dragon Quest XII. His musical talent was important enough for Japan to honor him with an award of Person of Cultural Merit in 2020, and his composition of one of the Dragon Quest themes was featured in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

:arrow: Source

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I have never played any DQ games nor listened to the OSTs, but I've always felt the true genius has always lied in the music composing. Amazing narratives are good too, but creating unique and amazing music always gets my highest respect.

I would say rest in piece but as I realize I don't really believe in life ending from death, this time I will say I wish for him to find true peace one day. 🙏🏻

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@cyb0rg , I beat dragon quest on the switch. the android version that was officially released, I mean. I loved it (beat all three of the games). I had trouble on dragon lord, so I got to max level, which is 30, by fighting a bunch of green dragons before the final boss. it was quick, and I loved it.

Reactions: cyb0rg

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I have never played any DQ games nor listened to the OSTs, but I've always felt the true genius has always lied in the music composing. Amazing narratives are good too, but creating unique and amazing music always gets my highest respect.

I would say rest in piece but as I realize I don't really believe in life ending from death, this time I will say I wish for him to find true peace one day. 🙏🏻
You have to listen to the ost. The music is so good.

Marching Through the Fields

Peaceful Town

Traveling with Wagon

Last edited by SG854,

Guggimon

GBAtemp's Fucker, Alt Banned and McFuckaroo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Today, Square Enix sadly announced that legendary video game composer Koichi Sugiyama had passed away on September 30th. Sugiyama had been with the company since its Enix days in 1985, where he created the soundtrack to the original Dragon Quest for the NES. He would go on to create a legacy by composing songs for the franchise for the next 35 years, including every mainline entry all the way up to Dragon Quest XI, and the many spinoffs, like Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Monsters, and more. Prior to his death, he was also working on tracks for the still in development Dragon Quest XII. His musical talent was important enough for Japan to honor him with an award of Person of Cultural Merit in 2020, and his composition of one of the Dragon Quest themes was featured in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

:arrow: Source
Damn.. Thats really sad, DQ is one of my favorite games and the music is what really sets the scene in the game. Rest in Peace Sugiyama-san :'(

Reactions: IssMare

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn. one of my favorite things about dragon quest is the music and the sound effects. they've never really changed unlike final fantasy. same with gameplay. you always knew what to expect as things changed very little from game to game.
Yes, it's somewhat upsetting that the anime doesn't have the sound effects or music, but I still enjoy it. I'm hoping they can at least find a composer to capture that authentic classical sound for future games and not just some generic movie score sounding stuff like in the anime.

Talented guy, but it is unfortunate regarding some of the beliefs he held. Denying war crimes isn't a great outlook. Separate art from artist if you wish, but my view of this man is tainted, knowing some of the ideas that he supported.
I see people shitting on him all the time over this and do understand where you're coming from, but I mean he was incredibly old and from a different sort of era of Japanese nationalism.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: