Hacking Known bugs with the 3DS software

Keva

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It might be useful to compile a list of known bugs in the 3DS so maybe people who are a bit more knowledgeable can reproduce them and see if there exploitable
tongue.gif

Here's one I found.

Causes the 3DS menu music to play without the screens being activated when a cartridge is removed during mid play.

1. Put in regular DS game or a 3DS game.
2. Play it as normal from the main menu.
3. Once it is loaded and begins to play, eject the game.
4. The screen freezes so just restart the 3DS by holding down the power button for a few seconds a couple of times.
5. When it comes on, only the menu music will play and a few seconds later the screens will kick in.

Anyone know of any more?

tekxzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if this counts as a bug, but it might help. When you don't have the SD card in your 3DS the face raiders game displays the default face, and when you put the SD card in and move from the face raiders app to a different one and back it changes to whatever face you have taken a picture of. There doesn't seem to be any pictures on the SD card for the face raiders game, but it seems it is accessing some type of file on the SD card, maybe a way to implement your own code. Or maybe i'm just talking gibberish and it doesn't give us anything to go on in the slightest.
glare.gif

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I have not found a cause yet, sometimes my 3DS camera (3D or 2D mode, AR Games or picture taker) will turn extremely yellow, and will not go back to it's normal colors unless I restart the system.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Keva said:
3. Once it is loaded and begins to play, eject the game.

3DS booklet @ pg 32Only insert or remove Game Cards while the system is turned off or while the HOME Menu is displayed. (If software is suspended, exit it first before removing the Game Card.)

The bug you found is not a bug, but misuse of the device.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xuphor said:
Although I have not found a cause yet, sometimes my 3DS camera (3D or 2D mode, AR Games or picture taker) will turn extremely yellow, and will not go back to it's normal colors unless I restart the system.
Has to do with light sources. My laptop has some really light blue(it's supposed to be white, this thing can be a PoS sometimes) LEDs, and when I aim the 3DS's camera toward it, everything goes rather red.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
Xuphor said:
Has to do with light sources. My laptop has some really light blue(it's supposed to be white, this thing can be a PoS sometimes) LEDs, and when I aim the 3DS's camera toward it, everything goes rather red.

When my screen goes yellow (it boots into yellow mode), it STAYS yellow, no matter what I point at, any color, and brightness.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Xuphor said:
TehSkull said:
Xuphor said:

When my screen goes yellow (it boots into yellow mode), it STAYS yellow, no matter what I point at, any color, and brightness.
My camera's brown.
That's due to low light and terrible quality cameras though.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tekxzero said:
I don't know if this counts as a bug, but it might help. When you don't have the SD card in your 3DS the face raiders game displays the default face, and when you put the SD card in and move from the face raiders app to a different one and back it changes to whatever face you have taken a picture of. There doesn't seem to be any pictures on the SD card for the face raiders game, but it seems it is accessing some type of file on the SD card, maybe a way to implement your own code. Or maybe i'm just talking gibberish and it doesn't give us anything to go on in the slightest.
glare.gif
The faces are saved in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder of your SD card.
They are not in a normal picture format, though.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Just a quick question - how do you update the firmware? I can't find an "update" option anywhere :/)

I've really only run into one problem once with my time with my 3DS - after exiting the Find Mii title, the screens went white and wouldn't return to the normal menu. I had to hold down the power button until it turned off. But that's one of the problems that'd be fixed with the update, right?

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
(Just a quick question - how do you update the firmware? I can't find an "update" option anywhere :/)

I've really only run into one problem once with my time with my 3DS - after exiting the Find Mii title, the screens went white and wouldn't return to the normal menu. I had to hold down the power button until it turned off. But that's one of the problems that'd be fixed with the update, right?

settings, bottom right icon, last page

dont remember the exact names so sorry for that

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a way to break the 10 coins per day limit and possibly how to clear/hide the activity log. (as far as I can see, I don't have access to the internal file structure so I can't be sure)

EDIT: I snapped a shot of my 3DS with 13 more coins than I should be able to have (4 days since the release * 10 per day = 40 + 13 from the bug)

3dsmorecoins.png

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just change the date on your 3DS.

* If its an earlier date the activity log won't show (at least not visually) your day's game cards / software usages.

* If you set your 3DS to any other date then you can take another 1000 steps for another 10 coins. Most people take more than 1000 steps per day so it shouldn't be hard.
Note: Your steps are saved by day. If you, for example, switch your 3DS date to 1 day ago, had 1000 steps for today, and earned an extra 1000 steps from your date change and walking, when you go back to either date the steps are locked into that date. Still changing days works as a bug/exploit to gain more coins.
Set it to earlier dates b/c they can be used to really supercharge your coins w/o wasting days that are normally possible.

They aren't very hard to pull off but I suppose they are the first actual bugs discovered by me. They should work on any 3DS (V1 and also V1.1.0-1 on any region) and they do not require flash cart use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1