Hacking knowledge i want to know before i softmod my wii

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm definitely going to softmod my wii this year but I'd like to know a few things first...

1. If i can't install bootmii as boot2 should i install it as an IOS? Yes

2. If i can install bootmii as boot2 should i also install it as an IOS? Yes

3. If i can only install bootmii as an IOS should i then install priiloader? Yes

6. should i ever delete ios's or stub ios's? (I'm guessing that's a big no, just thought Id ask though)

7. how often should i make a nand backup? Every time your about to install something important

8. Configurable USB Loader is the best for me

WiiHoney

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1, 2, and 3: load boot.dol from hackmii installer, and make a decision from there.

boot2 is best,
boot2 as ios with priiloader is as good as you can got

4: think of it as windows or any OS driver/dll, games use differant ios to load and run

5: Stubs are dummy IOSes, but some stubs like IOS60 in rev4.2 is used for testing, i heard of stubs with rev 4.0 and up, use anytitledeleter (ATD) to find what stub are installed for your wii

6: To my understanding you can delete anything higher than ios200 as most cIOSes (c stands for custom) take slot i the upper 200's, i.e: 202 is used for USB, 38rev17 for 250 and 249 ...254 is for bootmii, careful with the last one, keep track of anything you install and what location they are installed to. means know exactly what you are doing.

7: when you make any major changes to your wii, in my situation i had to restore my nand after i installed hermes v5, some of my games will not run and my wii is in my familly room, hmmm midlle finger
wink.gif
is no no

8: i used cfg, wiiflow and USBl_gx all are great for supporting WBFS fs i dont know about FAT and other...

9: check the site for compatibility list of devices

To sum it up. check gbatemp wik and code.google for every progy you are willing to run on your wii.

measure twice and cut once.

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiHoney said:
1, 2, and 3: load boot.dol from hackmii installer, and make a decision from there.

boot2 is best,

4: think of it as windows or any OS driver/dll, games use differant ios to load and run

5: Stubs are dummy IOSes, but some stubs like IOS60 in rev4.2 is used for testing, i heard of stubs with rev 4.0 and up, use anytitledeleter (ATD) to find what stub are installed for your wii

6: To my understanding you can delete anything higher than ios200 as most cIOSes (c stands for custom) take slot i the upper 200's, i.e: 202 is used for USB, 38rev17 for 250 and 249 ...254 is for bootmii, careful with the last one, keep track of anything you install and what location they are installed to. means know exactly what you are doing.

7: when you make any major changes to your wii, in my situation i had to restore my nand after i installed hermes v5, some of my games will not run and my wii is in my familly room, hmmm midlle finger
wink.gif
is no no

8: i used cfg, wiiflow and USBl_gx all are great for supporting WBFS fs i dont know about FAT and other...

To sum it up. check gbatemp wik and code.google for every progy you are willing to run on your wii.

1, 2, and 3: wait so as long as i can get bootmii as boot2 im ok.........but if i can't get bootmii as boot 2 then i should install it as an ios with priiloader?

4. that kind of makes sense but if someone can expand on that idea that would help a little more

5. what are these "revs"? and how many ios's are there?

6. so i can delete any ios's over 200 and install cios's in those slots?

7. thanks for that info

8. i think that's my best bet - Configurable USB Loader -

9. I'm thinking of getting a ...

Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8GB

or

Kingston 16GB DataTraveler

can i just backup the 'backups' on the usb to my computer and put more backups on that usb?

Note: what is this "MINI"?

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
muck chucker said:
Try pluging it in the other USB slot

zuriel102 said:
QUOTE(WiiHoney @ Mar 27 2010, 09:46 PM) 1, 2, and 3: load boot.dol from hackmii installer, and make a decision from there.

boot2 is best,

wink.gif
is no no

1, 2, and 3: wait so as long as i can get bootmii as boot2 im ok.........but if i can't get bootmii as boot 2 then i should install it as an ios with priiloader? Yes.

4. that kind of makes sense but if someone can expand on that idea that would help a little more

5. what are these "revs"? and how many ios's are there? Revisions, later is MOSTLY better, but not always..... Adn there are only a handful. 202,222,223,249, and 250 + (254 for Bootmii IOS.)

6. so i can delete any ios's over 200 and install cios's in those slots? Only 'Custom' IOS are in slots over 200. So they can be pretty safely deleted/massaged any time without bricking your WII. Some WILL be Stubs if you do an official nintendo update. These must be deleted before you can install a full cios.

7. thanks for that info

Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8GB

or

can i just backup the 'backups' on the usb to my computer and put more backups on that usb?

Yes, but you would be much better with a 100GB or better USB HDD Drive

Note: what is this "MINI"? Hmm, not sure what you are refernecing here ??

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C.S.I. said:
muck chucker said:
Try pluging it in the other USB slot

zuriel102 said:
QUOTE(WiiHoney @ Mar 27 2010, 09:46 PM) 1, 2, and 3: load boot.dol from hackmii installer, and make a decision from there.

boot2 is best,

wink.gif
is no no

1, 2, and 3: wait so as long as i can get bootmii as boot2 im ok.........but if i can't get bootmii as boot 2 then i should install it as an ios with priiloader? Yes.

5. what are these "revs"? and how many ios's are there? Revisions, later is MOSTLY better, but not always..... And there are only a handful. 202,222,223,249, and 250 + (254 for Bootmii IOS.)

6. so i can delete any ios's over 200 and install cios's in those slots? Only 'Custom' IOS are in slots over 200. So they can be pretty safely deleted/massaged any time without bricking your WII. Some WILL be Stubs if you do an official nintendo update. These must be deleted before you can install a full cios.

7. thanks for that info

Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8GB

or

Yes, but you would be much better with a 100GB or better USB HDD Drive

Note: what is this "MINI"? Hmm, not sure what you are refernecing here ??

so any slots over 200 are more cios's and i can delete them anytime i want...

What's a USB HDD Drive and how much would that cost to get one?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
zuriel102 said:
I'm definitely going to softmod my wii this year but I'd like to know a few things first...

1. If i can't install bootmii as boot2 should i install it as an IOS?
Yes

2. If i can install bootmii as boot2 should i also install it as an IOS?
Yes

3. If i can only install bootmii as an IOS should i then install priiloader?
Yes

4. what exactly is an IOS i know it's a Input/Output System but what is it or what does it do?
IOSs are used for many things, like running games, running the system menu, loading channels, ...
You don't need to know what they are exactly, just that they are needed on your system

5. what's a stub IOS?
IOSs that contain no usable code. They are installed on the System by Nintendo to occupy some IOS slots (so we can't use them for other things)

6. should i ever delete ios's or stub ios's? (I'm guessing that's a big no, just thought Id ask though)
NEVER delete a normal IOS. Stubs can be removed if needed.

7. how often should i make a nand backup?
Right before and after making big changes.
Or just after some period of time (since saves are also dumped, so you want those to be recent).

8. is Configurable USB Loader right for me, since all i need is this V ( i dont need gamecube backups because im going to try to hardmod my gamecube also)

Supports: Originals | Backups || Wii | Gamecube] || Disc | SD | USB || WBFS | FAT32 | NTFS
Config Loader is one of the best loaders, so it will probably be good for you
wink.gif

9. What's the best 16 GB USB device?
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...patibility_List

that's about it for now.

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
zuriel102 said:

1. If i can't install bootmii as boot2 should i install it as an IOS?
Yes

2. If i can install bootmii as boot2 should i also install it as an IOS?
Yes

3. If i can only install bootmii as an IOS should i then install priiloader?
Yes

4. what exactly is an IOS i know it's a Input/Output System but what is it or what does it do?
IOSs are used for many things, like running games, running the system menu, loading channels, ...
You don't need to know what they are exactly, just that they are needed on your system

5. what's a stub IOS?
IOSs that contain no usable code. They are installed on the System by Nintendo to occupy some IOS slots (so we can't use them for other things)

NEVER delete a normal IOS. Stubs can be removed if needed.

7. how often should i make a nand backup?
Right before and after making big changes.
Or just after some period of time (since saves are also dumped, so you want those to be recent).

8. is Configurable USB Loader right for me, since all i need is this V ( i dont need gamecube backups because im going to try to hardmod my gamecube also)

Supports: Originals | Backups || Wii | Gamecube] || Disc | SD | USB || WBFS | FAT32 | NTFS
Config Loader is one of the best loaders, so it will probably be good for you
wink.gif

9. What's the best 16 GB USB device?
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...patibility_List

that's about it for now.

Thank you so much, you answered everything i needed to know for now!!!
bow.gif

Actually what's a USB HDD Drive?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
zuriel102 said:
Actually what's a USB HDD Drive?

:facepalm: A hard drive with a USB port
QUOTE(zuriel102 @ Mar 28 2010, 09:33 PM) Do i have to do this ---> http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ba...o/extra/wbfswin

or can i just do this ---> http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ba...so/extra/fatwin

Depends on whether you want to use the drive for other things. If you do, use FAT. If you only want it for games, use WBFS.

I'm sorry I am very noobish, i guess im not going to use it for homebrew or anything so i guess i'll just use WBFS.

now i wonder what Backup Loader i should use...

Neogamma R8 Final ------- since it looks like im only using WFBS i guess i dont need FAT32 | NTFS
USB Loader GX 1.0 ---------GUI looks nice on this
Configurable USB loader v52 ---- this looks the best to me right now

i can only use one at a time right?
---------------------------------------------------------

What's the best or most commonly used WBFS Manger?

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont see any reason to use wbfs at this point. only reason anyone is using it these days is because they dont want to be bothered with changing over. get a 1TB external harddrive fer about $100 and format it to fat32. u can use it fer ur wii and ur pc. the 20 bucks u save for anything smaller isnt really worth the savings.

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zeedds said:
i dont see any reason to use wbfs at this point. only reason anyone is using it these days is because they dont want to be bothered with changing over. get a 1TB external harddrive fer about $100 and format it to fat32. u can use it fer ur wii and ur pc. the 20 bucks u save for anything smaller isnt really worth the savings.

I'm sorry but im not to tech savvy what is a "1TB external harddrive" can you show me a picture of it?

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really doubt you will need a 1TB usb hard drive.

I mean they are nice to have if you have lots of videos you want to play on your wii, but there is no way to fill a drive that big with quality wii games.

It sounds like you mainly want to use the drive to play wii games, so WBFS will work just fine.

I have a 500GB drive formatted as WBFS with 150GB still left and over 150 games installed. If you want to download and install every piece of crappy shovelware released, you could certainly get a larger drive, but it is not needed. There are only so many games worth your time anyways.

Personally I prefer having a drive dedicated to wii games solely, and to use other drives formatted in FAT 32 for videos and music.

nozila

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if your such a noob a this softmodding. i would advise you to get a pro to do it. or at least someone else you know who has softmodded their own.

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@servdogg

I agree he doesnt need a 1TB hdd for the wii games,but the difference in price between a 500GB and a 1TB drive doesnt justify the savings. The wii plays xvid movies perfectly and having a backup of files you value from ur pc is always a good idea. A lesson well learned after u have a hdd die in ur pc. on the other hand if he watches 720 or 1080 rips of movies using his pc then the extra space would fill quickly also.

dole

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zuriel102 said:
How does a " external hard drive" work? Better yet how does it work with my wii

it's a hard drive, in a case or enclosure (thus "External", as opposed to "Internal" which means "inside something, like a computer") with a USB cord, that plugs into a USB port that's in the back of your Wii.

blink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM