KNOW YOUR GAME-Donkey kong county

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by lcie nimbus, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lcie nimbus
    OP

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    Welcome to yet another session of Kyg . you know the drill , you ask , the prisoner answers . today we question @mashers

RULES and info
    interviews take place Mon-wed and thur-sat
    I will send you a pm the day before your interview if your on the list

IF you sign up you must not leave gbatemp for over 2 weeks

You may ask questions about the game . the persons experiences with the game . and generally topics relating to said game .

Interviews last 3 days.
    NO QUICK TEMPLATES(I see any and your kicked)
    and lastly NO HATERS .

today we talk about donkey kong country

2. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Why do you like this game?
    Is this your favorite game?
    Is anything special about this game?

3. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    hmmmm.... this seems.... familiar....

VinLark likes this.
  4. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Very, I think it's from that thing call "Know Your Redditor"

5. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    no, no, its clearly based off of "know your TENDIES". im pretty sure thats on 4chins.gov

lcie nimbus and VinLark like this.
  6. lcie nimbus
    OP

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    don't whine , I got permission from dinohscene to do this

CIAwesome526 likes this.
  7. smileyhead

smileyhead Occasional Reporter

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    > Donkey Kong County

8. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I'm going to answer this question with a story I originally drafted as a blog post, but it fits well here :)

When I was 11 years old (1994), I became friends with my next door neighbour. It was really hard for me to make friends, but me and the boy next door became really close. He had a Super Nintendo, which I had never played on. But most weekends, we'd play Donkey Kong Country. We co-op completed the game several times, and also used to cherry pick our favourite levels to play.

A couple of years later, his family emigrated. I was devastated to lose my best (and only) friend. I still tear up thinking about it now. Over the next few years I would often look back on those days with bitter-sweet feelings. And every time I though about our friendship, I remembered playing Donkey Kong Country together. I was talking about this with somebody in college (age about 17) and they unexpectedly bought me a Super Nintendo with a Donkey Kong Country cart for Christmas. I was overjoyed, and playing Donkey Kong Country again took me straight back to that happy time in my life.

Fast forward 16 years, and I still love this game. But it's not just due to nostalgia. The game was, and still is, incredibly fun to play. Both Donkey and Diddy control beautifully, and each have their own special moves (Donkey's forward roll and ground pound, and Diddy's cartwheel and higher jumps). There's huge variety in the game, from classic platform action, rope swinging, mine cart levels and underwater stages. One of my favourite aspects of the game though is the barrels. There is a range of barrels you can pick up and throw with various effects, but even better are the barrel cannons. They launch you around the levels, and most levels incorporate them to some extent, usually requiring impeccable timing. Finally, DK's jungle buddies get in on the action. There's Rambi the Rhino, Expresso the Ostrich, Enguard the swordfish, Winky the frog and Squawks the parrot. They appear inside crates within some levels and help DK to reach new areas, defeat enemies and reach the goal. You can also collect golden statues of the animal friends hidden throughout the game, and when you collect three of the same animal you get to play that animal's special bonus stage. On the subject of bonus stages, there's a wide variety of bonus levels hidden throughout the game which give you the chance to find all important bananas!

Due to the nostalgia it brings for me, I'd say definitely yes. Having said that, I think that Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze were better in many ways.

This was the first game to use graphics which were pre-rendered. Layering up these graphics made the game look 3D and it was praised for its incredible graphics, which still look good today.

The music and sound effects are really wonderful too. I was really pleased that the music was remastered for DKC Returns.

Every level in this game is memorable. It's one of those games where you keep your 100% save so you can go back and replay levels of your choice at any time.

lcie nimbus likes this.
  9. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Ever considered speedrunning DKC?
    Also, your opinion about DK Jet race and the newer DK's?

10. lcie nimbus
    OP

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    @Cyan could you lock up . time`s up . thanks

11. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    As someone who has only played the GBA port I must ask you how do you think it compares to the SNES version?

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  12. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Sorry @DinohScene, didn't get the notification of your questions. No, I haven't speed run it. I like to play through in a leisurely way :) I didn't like Jet Race, but I love the new DKC games (Returns/Tropical Freeze).

DinohScene and RevPokemon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.