luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Originality said:
It could happen, but it's more likely that Sony will find a way to prevent it.
Whilst it is possible, Sony will either just full-on ban people, or they will keep releasing new firmware updates which will take weeks/months possibly to bypass.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
luke_c said:
kmeaw's CFW is fine on all model PS3's. If you are expecting to play online with CFW for years to come, don't. Because it's just not going to happen.

This.

To be fair the only online game I played was Uncharted 2, but I've milked my fun out of that so I think I'll stay CFW'd till Uncharted 3
smile.gif

vame536

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
Why even bother to consider the risk. The only reason to consider the risk is for PSN, but even with that you are now risking a brick and a ban from PSN. And on top of it that sony's next firmware is going to make everyone not have PSN access again and you will have to wait weeks for the next custom firsware that works with the latest and stable PSN access....... ect....ect

Seem like a waste of time and very unnecessary given the risks.

Hmm. As a n00b who doesn't own a PS3 yet, but might soon, I'm confuzzled.

Firstly, when Geothingy released the Private Key recently, the web was alive with stories of Sony being smashed, there being nothing they can do, and everyone in the world can now play PS3 games - you probably wont even need a PS3, they said. Just some bread and a length of string. Ok maybe not that simple, but it was pretty much all over for Sony.

Now, there are CFW's are coming out, and they are running backups, but they are also bricking units, and by the time you get a nice, safe, stable CFW, Sony can drop another firmware release, and the cycle starts again. Hardly smashed.

But then, are these CFW's that have been released recently anything to do with the Private Key? Would kmeaw's CFW have been released now, and work like it does without the Private Key release stuff? Or is it nothing to do with the Private Key episode?

Also, if its the magic key that Sony use to sign data, is there any chance of something like an ISO signer ever being released, where an 'acquired' PS3 ISO is signed, put on the harddrive, and can be played just like a genuine game put on the HD.

And finally, I suppose that the paid for dongle things, Jailbreak, are a thing of the past now?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
vame536 said:
Firstly, when Geothingy released the Private Key recently, the web was alive with stories of Sony being smashed (actually it started before, with F0F's 40 minute presentation on how the PS3 security fell apart at their hands), there being nothing they can do, and everyone in the world can now play PS3 games (this was already possible with Jailbreak) -snip-

Now, there are CFW's are coming out, and they are running backups, but they are also bricking units (any update can brick units, even official Sony ones. Badly coded updates have a higher chance. Unforseen problems with newly coded updates can also brick units. Nobody knows why ONE particular CFW caused hundreds of bricks... less misinformation plox), and by the time you get a nice, safe, stable CFW, Sony can drop another firmware release, and the cycle starts again. (it's the same with PSP. It's the same with DSi. It's even the same with Cable in the US. At least they're not bricking consoles by the thousands.) Hardly smashed.

But then, are these CFW's that have been released recently anything to do with the Private Key? Would kmeaw's CFW have been released now, and work like it does without the Private Key release stuff? Or is it nothing to do with the Private Key episode? (I'll leave it to someone else to explain this part fully. The PK lets CFW devs sign the update, making it rediculously easy to apply a CFW over OFW or go back again. It basically lets us pretend to be Sony and install anything we want. What you do with that privilage is up to you. Most people just want to run homebrew, but plenty also want to play their "acquired" games. CFW just makes it easier to install signed/unsigned homebrew that lets us use the PS3 in ways never intended.)

Also, if its the magic key that Sony use to sign data, is there any chance of something like an ISO signer ever being released, where an 'acquired' PS3 ISO is signed, put on the harddrive, and can be played just like a genuine game put on the HD. (PS3 doesn't work with ISOs. There is currently no way to use BD-R backups. Signing PS3 games isn't needed. There was a method to modify and sign an EBOOT to make a PS3 game look like a PSN game, but it's not needed anymore. Just put the directory of the game on a HDD, either internal or external, and run the backup manager. Currently it seems like some games need an actual game in the drive to work from CFW, but it's a matter of time until that's bypassed.)

And finally, I suppose that the paid for dongle things, Jailbreak, are a thing of the past now? (It still works on 3.41. It's still got months of development behind it, rather than the measly week or so for CFW. But generally, CFW development is going rather quickly, with any flaws in it being ironed out, so all those people who rushed to buy Jailbreak devices have (arguably) wasted their money.)
As I've said a few times now, a lil patience and the entire scene will make sense again. Probably a member of the GBAtemp Magazine Staff (like FAST) will write a lil timeline to summarize the chaotic months that has been the hacking of the PS3 and the birth of the PS3 hacking scene, to prevent such posts as the one I quoted from sprouting every 2 or so days.

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
darkreaperofdreams said:
i have,and it's properly working

What method did you use to install on the demo model? it won't allow me to install from either the xmb or from maintenance mode. was your demo model already on 3.55?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Theres bugs in the kmeaw and waninkoko firmware. You need to run the Pl3 fermission fix pkg apparently each time you install a game... Just wait it out it will get fixed its not even been 5 days yet!

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Got Gran Turismo 5 running doing nothing special to it other than using the latest gaia manager. Didn't have to use any modified eboots, just ftp everything over like normal.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it working on my PS3 Slim 320GB Move Bundled edition. Went from 3.41>OFW 3.55 from XMB>kmeaw 3.55 from XMB. I'm having issues with multiMAN 1.13.00, .01 and .02. Rogero v.7.9a is so far the best IMHO as I've had zero issues with AC: Brotherhood, CoD:BO, and others. I'm gonna go try GT5 in a minute. So far, I'm very pleased.
smile.gif

tehnoobshow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Got Mass Effect 2 working alright.......except for some issues with sound, but Assassins creed brotherhood and dead rising 2 working perfectly.........gonna try out Fallout New Vegas, Enslaved and Little Big Planet 2.

Oh and also I'm using Gaia Manager.......as multiman is not really working to well.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
Theres bugs in the kmeaw and waninkoko firmware. You need to run the Pl3 fermission fix pkg apparently each time you install a game... Just wait it out it will get fixed its not even been 5 days yet!
As far as I'm aware, that's a bug in the payload and not necessarily the firmware itself. In the case of Waninkoko's it is, since the payload is built into the firmware. But for Kmeaw's, you inject the payload yourself (or have a manager do it for you). Therefore, fixed versions can be released to get around inconveniences like that. And already have been, I'm pretty sure.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im getting some issues with kmeaw, i have a 2tb external dirve, two partitions on it, 1tb each, one is for ps3, other is for, well other...anyway, when i plug it in, the ps3 recognizes the other partition, but not the ps3 one where all my games are, anyone have any idea why? yes theyre both on fat32 and the ps3 partition was working fine when i was on 3.41 with JB dongle, i think its cause of the cfw and not because of multiman, as i cant even locate the external ps3 partition in xmb either, any ideas anyone?

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
^ Might have something to do with which partition is logical or primary, or maybe the PS3 one needs to be set to active... You can right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management and see what's up

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i created the ps3 partition long before i created the other partition, and as i said, it was working fine when i was on 3.41 with dongle, now the ps3 finds the other partition and doesnt even bother to look for my ps3 partition, im at a loss for this one, and really dont feel like transferring 100s of GB of data around trying to get it to work....

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kmeaw's firmware works great for me.

I'm using the Gaia manager, I've been able to backup my copies of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Tekken 6, and Resonance of Fate to the HDD and they run fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2