Hacking kmeaw CFW... maybe best one yet

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Disk backup are a dead end because it puts too much strain on the hardware like every console out there youll end up with a dead bluray drive in a matter of a few years.
Ps3 already has ps1 emulation pretty good (I have heard have not tried it yet) and ps2 full support for hard disk loading its a matter of days if you have a backward compatible ps3 and for the rest of us well probably get an emulator that works pretty good too.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lot of exciting news about CFW lately, but i'm not going to jump on the bandwagon i'll wait till the dust settles in a few months.

OT: is anyone looking into ntfs USB drive support for backup loading? the wii eventually got it going, iirc usb loaders initially only supported wbfs, then fat32, then ntfs.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
fattest said:
lot of exciting news about CFW lately, but i'm not going to jump on the bandwagon i'll wait till the dust settles in a few months.

OT: is anyone looking into ntfs USB drive support for backup loading? the wii eventually got it going, iirc usb loaders initially only supported wbfs, then fat32, then ntfs.
Possibly behind closed doors, but no public information at least at this time.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTFS loading would be the most anticipated thing for most people. And I hope some of these devs form a solid team to release great CFWs in the future.

Sotoro

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TheDarkSeed said:
NTFS loading would be the most anticipated thing for most people. And I hope some of these devs form a solid team to release great CFWs in the future.

NTFS support would be amazing. Can't wait for this feature. Many games have to large files for a fat32 formation and i hate it to copy the games via FTP.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sotoro said:
TheDarkSeed said:

NTFS support would be amazing. Can't wait for this feature. Many games have to large files for a fat32 formation and i hate it to copy the games via FTP.

ummm....actually it wouldnt really be amazing...this isnt Wii Drive vs. USB, this is BD-ROM/Internal HDD vs. USB....usb 2.0 loses, everyone is just better off installing a large internal...really, the wait for NTFS will only bring sadness from the crawling loading speeds. huge internals are cheap.

Linkpal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will install this as soon as I see whether or not this will result in a sure-fire ban from PSN or not.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
IIRC, USB 2.0 is still much faster than BD-ROM, which is limited to 2x speed.
But just as with DVD vs. CD, the "x" for BD is different than it is for DVD.

According to bluray FAQ, 1x read speed is supposed to be 36Mbps. To comply with the speed needed for movie playback, you're looking at a minimum of 2x, a.k.a. 72Mbps, as BD Movies require 54Mbps

USB 2.0 is only rated for a peak BURST speed of 480Mbps... when in reality and practice, even the fastest external hard disks and latest controllers rarely ever go beyond 25Mbps sustained; it took USB 3.0 to increase the ceiling to allow faster speeds.

It's why I preferred Firewire - its rating of 400Mbps was peak SUSTAINED throughput, as is 800 for 1394b; there was supposed to be a firewire 3200 (1394c), but I don't know of any devices or controllers that supply it.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
codezer0 said:
Originality said:
IIRC, USB 2.0 is still much faster than BD-ROM, which is limited to 2x speed.
But just as with DVD vs. CD, the "x" for BD is different than it is for DVD.

According to bluray FAQ, 1x read speed is supposed to be 36Mbps. To comply with the speed needed for movie playback, you're looking at a minimum of 2x, a.k.a. 72Mbps, as BD Movies require 54Mbps

USB 2.0 is only rated for a peak BURST speed of 480Mbps... when in reality and practice, even the fastest external hard disks and latest controllers rarely ever go beyond 25Mbps sustained; it took USB 3.0 to increase the ceiling to allow faster speeds.

It's why I preferred Firewire - its rating of 400Mbps was peak SUSTAINED throughput, as is 800 for 1394b; there was supposed to be a firewire 3200 (1394c), but I don't know of any devices or controllers that supply it.

That was actually a very interest read there dude
moogle.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The 25Mb speed for USB is actually very dependant on the device and the controllers. Whilst that's the usual speed I get from laptops, from high end computers I tend to see 45-70Mbps sustained. I've also heard that powered USB/eSATA combo ports can usually get even higher speeds if the USB device supports it.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any 60giggers here that installed it? I still want to know what model did get bricked with this... if it actually did get bricked.

Itching to try, but definitely can't afford a brick.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
codezer0 said:
Any 60giggers here that installed it? I still want to know what model did get bricked with this... if it actually did get bricked.

Itching to try, but definitely can't afford a brick.
Why even bother to consider the risk. The only reason to consider the risk is for PSN, but even with that you are now risking a brick and a ban from PSN. And on top of it that sony's next firmware is going to make everyone not have PSN access again and you will have to wait weeks for the next custom firsware that works with the latest and stable PSN access....... ect....ect

Seem like a waste of time and very unnecessary given the risks.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because there are some games I want to play that will not play on jailbreak in 3.41, at all.

And even though it's SUPPOSED to play, I currently can't proceed any further in MGS4 for some reason. Finished that evil Act 3, but w hen I start on Act 4, it just goes to black screen. Tried uninstalling the game data and even then the game just won't start anymore.
frown.gif

Got a roommate with an updated PS3, and he's been willing to let me borrow his owned games to play, except that these include games that require 3.5* (NFS, GT5, Medal of Honor to name a few).

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a launch model 60 GB PS3. I installed this with no problems at all. Installed OFW 3.55 via recovery menu, and then kmeaw CFW via recovery menu. Using Rogero's manager I've played 3D Dot Game Heroes and Demon's Souls. I FTP the game files with filezilla on the PC and blackboxftp on the PS3.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I honestly dont mean to sound like a jark, but honestly if you over eagerness causes your PS3 to become bricked, you will have to shell out money fr it to get repaired or to buy a new one. If I were you, I'd hold off until the scene knows more about how to truly get what they want. It's not worth the risk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.
    I mean. All I ask was for people to see if ONE, SINGLE website is working properly in edge. 1000 people see it but cant be bothered at all
    Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that goes unchecked is crazy. No where else do I see this shit towards me and others. Not even on reddit have I been talked to like I have here by other members
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the privacy settings in your browser to standard if that works.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've also heard that Chromium-based browsers will stop working with ad-blockers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Please dont go we need you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really learned not to give a fuck what others do online it's helped ease my mind try it sometime.
    @SylverReZ That reply to you was when we werent on good terms. lol. I tried everything. Changing privacy settings etc.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Fuck Chromium. Firefox 4evar.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    (Firefox 4 now, anyway. Let's see if they pull some crap too.)
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Netscape ftw
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Funny enough went to download chrome Bing gave error installed Firefox fine
    +1
    Thing is , the videos work fine in the Edge Dev and Canary builds. But whatever the fix the made was, has never been piushed to Beta or Stable builds. Its been that way for as far back as I tested. Which was Edge 84. They are on 125 now.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Yeah, and I was in quite a mood at that time. I would consider choosing Firefox or Opera instead, been using Firefox for over 7 years now than Chrome.
    Tried contacting Nintendo to see if they can reach out to MS about it. But Nintendo said the videos are working fine. Without enough people saying no, they don't work fine, it will never get fixed.
    I have Firefox and used it for many years. But Edge runs noticible faster on my pc at both opening and loading pages.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I have Firefox and used it for many years. But Edge runs noticible faster on my pc at both...