Kirby Conspiracy!

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We all know that Nintendo changed Kirby's eyes to appear more badass for Kirby: Squeak Squad, but looking further back, the true depths of badass Kirby extend more then we know. Just look at this side by side comparison of Kirby's last 5 games:

kirby_conspiracy.jpg

Just look at Kirby: Nightmare In Dream Land. A wand? Pssh. Your not cool until your a ninja!
Same with Kirby And The Amazing Mirror. A cellphone isn't cool enough I guess, so let's also give him a sword!

Why can't Kirby just be happy and cheerful like he really is?

You don't need to change for us Kirby, we love the real you.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He wasn't always like this. I have a boxed copy of Kirby Pinball and he was looking EXTREME in it. On an off topic notice, I'm loving Canvas Curse at the moment. Shame the latest one that came out was like a step backwards.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe Stateside Kirby is, like, Japan Kirby's evil twin. You know, cause he can't be in two places at once and all.

Well not evil exactly, cause like Kirby could never be evil. More like the tougher, rougher twin, you know the one who gets in playground fights but is really just a nice guy sticking up for his brother, who could hold his own but would lose his cutesy image for it. (it's past midnight, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

shurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, I really think they made him that way in NA to appeal more to the kids (particularly the boys).

If an 8-year-old boy was walking down the game isle in Wal-Mart shopping for a new DS game, he'd want something with action and combat. Something like Power Rangers. If he were to pss by the Japanese box of Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, he would most likely completely ignore it thinking it's some sissy game for little 3-year-olds. But if he passed by the U.S. box, he'd be all "AWESOME! THIS GAME LOOKS INTENSE!!".

....Well if I were an 8-year-old, that would have been my mindset.
wink2.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Haha, I really think they made him that way in NA to appeal more to the kids (particularly the boys).

If an 8-year-old boy was walking down the game isle in Wal-Mart shopping for a new DS game, he'd want something with action and combat. Something like Power Rangers. If he were to pss by the Japanese box of Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, he would most likely completely ignore it thinking it's some sissy game for little 3-year-olds. But if he passed by the U.S. box, he'd be all "AWESOME! THIS GAME LOOKS INTENSE!!".

....Well if I were an 8-year-old, that would have been my mindset.
wink2.gif
Exactly, young boys in NA are filled with a concept in their mind to avoid anything that appears "girly". They will avoid it, even if they like it. Why? Because it is not cool. Jesus H. Christ, I'm in the Army (supposed to be something very manly) and I am not affraid to whip out a DS and start playing Princess Peach, because it is such an outstanding game. The most manly thing you can do is be yourself.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Guess it's the same kind of reason why they ruined Ico's lovely EU/Jap boxart by putting a shitty CG barbarian dude weilding a sword on the cover, to avoid american kids saying "Urgh, a nice painting, that's so gay!"

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Localised covers are amazing... I remember seeing the American cover art for my favourite game (Terranova), and I don't think I would have even picked the box up, looking like that, let alone bought it. The American version had this ghastly illustration fresh off the cover of a cheap SF paperback, by a man who had up to that point drawn covers for trash fantasy novels and posters for heavy metal bands. Unknown heavy metal bands.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nah, Kirby wasn't after Rambo or G.I.Joe, he's in with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I mean, turtles. Ninja turtles. Turtles-who-are-also-ninjas. And a ninja-rat sensei to boot. Now, they have to radiate enormous amounts of kick-assity (kick-assery?) to appear anything else but swamp-dwelling half-eggs. Likewise, Kirby has to literally steam with bad-assery to overcome the fact that he's a hyperactive marshmallow. He's pink, and that's why he has to work twice as hard as Rambo. And the reverse psychology works in inverse as well. Seeing him so pink and fluffy, you naturally assume he's kicking twice as much butt to make up for it. All he needs is a pissed off expression.

Caoimhin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Kirby was one of the characters I grew up with. I remember "Kirby's Dream Land 2". Stil have it. I still got Tetris, but no GameBoy to play those games
cry.gif
I also played a LOT of Sonic (1, 2, 3 and Sonic & Knuckles), Lemmings, Chakan (but I was scared of it), James Pond, Alladin, The Lion King.. I love the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) games
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.