Hacking Kingston or Sandisk microSD card for flash cart ?

k4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought an acekard 2.1 with a 4gb sandisk microSD card. I have been having no problems at all so far, but I'm worried that my microSD card is a fake. Just to make sure I would like to buy another card that now will be an original. I have read that buying this type of cards over ebay or amazon is not recommended because there are too much fakes out there, so I would like to buy one from another online reliable site where the price is fair. Some say Newegg is a nice place to buy from, but I'm not sure.
Now here's my dilemma: There are Kingston and Sandisk microSD cards. Sandisk is more expensive, so I don't know which one to buy. Does it matter what brand is the microSD to use in a flashcart, like in an Acekard 2.1?
In Newegg there are only sandisk microSD cards up to 2gb, while they go up to 4gb in the kingston section.

Where do I buy from, and which one?

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got Kingston 2GB and Sandisk 8GB Class 4.

I bought both off eBay and I can say I'm very happy with both cards. However, my card is CycloDS.

*shrugs*

berkley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sandisk tends to be better with larger capacities the best card is the Sandisk Mobile Ultra Class 6 8GB

B

ball2012003

i say get kingston
both are good cards but like you said kingston has higher memory cards on that site

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if im allowed to post the link, but get a "Nameless" Micro SD card from dealextreme, the 8 Gig only cost 16 bucks, and has AMAZING transfer speeds (about 10 seconds for 150 MB's, and 2 minutes for 3 Gigs, my old cart took 2 mins for 120 MB's)

k4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
its best to either go with a jap kingston if =4gb

I heard that newegg was a great store, so I bought a class 6 turbo 4gb adata microsd card from them, only to see that it wasnt compatible with my computer. When I was transfering files, some of them froze, so I had no other option than to cancel the whole process, losing the data as well. My computer kept freezing and locking itself and it kept giving me error messages ( like that there was a hardware problem, and also something about "cyclic" ). At the end the card became corrupted and unreadable. I already talked with newegg and they offered me a full refund. The thing is that I still need a 4gb microsdhc card, but the ones offered there are cheap ones like the adata/kingston type and after reading some reviews, some people have experienced many types of incompatibility with their devices. I don't want to go through that again.
I want to make sure the card that I buy will be recognized by my computer. How do I do that?

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
k4ever said:
UltraMagnus said:

I heard that newegg was a great store, so I bought a class 6 turbo 4gb adata microsd card from them, only to see that it wasnt compatible with my computer. When I was transfering files, some of them froze, so I had no other option than to cancel the whole process, losing the data as well. My computer kept freezing and locking itself and it kept giving me error messages ( like that there was a hardware problem, and also something about "cyclic" ). At the end the card became corrupted and unreadable. I already talked with newegg and they offered me a full refund. The thing is that I still need a 4gb microsdhc card, but the ones offered there are cheap ones like the adata/kingston type and after reading some reviews, some people have experienced many types of incompatibility with their devices. I don't want to go through that again.
I want to make sure the card that I buy will be recognized by my computer. How do I do that?

that sounds like a very odd error, the "something about "cyclic"" was probably a cyclic redundancy check error, which usually indicates a corrupt file system.

k4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
k4ever said:
UltraMagnus said:

that sounds like a very odd error, the "something about "cyclic"" was probably a cyclic redundancy check error, which usually indicates a corrupt file system.

That's the error I kept getting. I guess it became corrupted because of the constant pc freezing when writing files, and me having to take away the TF reader.
I was doing more research, and I found these types of sdhc cards wont be recognized by most of the devices out in the market or that one owns. That maybe was the cause why my computer wasnt reading it and transfering data properly into it. Theres a hotfix for windows xp sp2 users that will allow ones computer to read sdhc devices, but I when tried to install it, since I already have sp3 on my computer, it told me that it wasn't necessary.
I had no problems with my computer when I transfered files from it to my fake 4gb sandisk ( it read it well ). The thing is that fake cards often have less gb capacity than what they display, so maybe thats why my computer recognized it properly since its not SDHC but only SD.
This SDHC micro card compatibility issue really bugs me. The reasons for the cards not working well can be many. I think Im going to play safe, and go to a frys store to buy an original 2gb sandisk to use. My Acekard 2.1 could use way more memory, but now I don't even know if an original will be read by my computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi