Kingston Made in JAPAN (2GB) $12.10

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ExDee, Jan 13, 2008.

Jan 13, 2008
  1. ExDee
    OP

Member ExDee GBAtemp Regular

United States
  2. elmnt61

Newcomer elmnt61 Member

United States
    "I was hoping that I would get a made in Japan one, but I ended up receiving one that's made in Taiwan. I eventually got a made in Japan one from some other place. While both are fast (18.xMB/s MIT vs. 19.xMB/s MIJ) transfer speeds, this minor speed difference does make a difference for my purpose. If you know what I mean, then you're probably buying this for the same purpose. Newegg has the made in Japan ones."

hmmm

3. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Ya, ^ Why not just buy from a place you are 100% sure it is jap. I would.

4. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Or you can get it here which I think may be cheaper with or without the $10 off Google Checkout. My cards have all been Japanese from them.

5. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Might sound odd but all japanese cards I have seen have the Writing on the card printed portrait while other country made ones have the writing landscape but this is not a reliable way to tell but I am simply pointing out my experience. Maybe because jap/chinese or whatever is written and read portrait and not landscape?

6. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    1. shouldn't be in R4 section.
    2. is the first link a referral?

edit: my bad.

thanks for sharing.

7. ExDee
    OP

United States

1. Sorry
    2. No?

I just wanted to show since I bought from the 2 of them. PoR works for both too.
    Btw I called Kingston and I asked them about the made in Taiwan. They said the problem has been solved and theyre going fast again.
    They were only a short batch that were messed up thats what the guy said. So ur risk [​IMG]

8. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    If you want to make sure it's made in Japan, and you live in the US, just go to Fry's. They say they're exactly the same as the Japan made Kingston's you can buy on the internet.

9. ExDee
    OP

United States

I agree. I looked in the newspapers and there was a sale on 2GB kingston microsd

10. DShunter

Newcomer DShunter Member

To be specific currently all marketed Made in japan MicroSD cards are made by Toshiba one and only manufacturing plant in Japan. Brands like Kingston, PNY, etc. OEM those cards and rebrands them to sell it to their own markets. So NOT all Kingston 2GB cards are made in Japan, look carefully at the manufacturing code on the card its self however if you are buying a Toshiba card then you can be 100% rest assured it is defiantly a Japan made card as Toshiba don't have any "Made in Taiwan" or whatever places cards other than Japan.

11. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Kingstons: Sucks. It isnt fast. Because of its cheap price, i bought one. 14 bucks with S/H. It takes like 2min to copy the game(drag and drop) there.
    SD Mem.- Real fast.

12. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    ... What kind of drugs have you been sniffing?

Anyone care to explain the difference between read/write speeds and random access?

Cause I think my head will explode. Also, what does price have to do with how well the product performs? Lastly, it takes 2 minutes for you to copy a game? It took a few seconds for me to transfer a 128 MB rom (untrimmed).

13. ExDee
    OP

United States
    Excuse me Mr. Hater. Are you on crack? Kingston is one of the fastest ones. Your computer must be slow then

14. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Read =/= Write speed.

Have you seen how fast that thing saves in HUGE games?

15. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Found by accident, but OfficeMax has Toshiba 2GB Trio(this means the actual memory is a µSD but it comes with mini and regular SD adapters too) packs for $19.99 through Saturday. So, I bought one... almost took two, but I'm going to hold out for the 4GB A-Datas to be in stock @ newegg again, failing that I might pick up the Patriot 6GB though. (On the Patriots, IIRC all the last # in the model # of their SDHC = class #, so the one that newegg has is actually a class 6 even if they don't list the class rating.)

Not a bad price for something through a chain store that has locations just about everywhere in the US.