Kingston from Taiwan?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by The_Dark_Knight, Aug 9, 2008.

Aug 9, 2008

Kingston from Taiwan? by The_Dark_Knight at 2:51 AM (1,507 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

Member The_Dark_Knight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hey all,

I ordered a 2GB Kingston MicroSD because it came with a reader that I was told was good.

I plan on using an A-Data 8GB Class6 card as my main MicroSD. But I was hoping I would have this Kingston has a good back up ... however, I thought I was ordering a Japanese Kingston, yet it says "Taiwan" right on the card.

SO,

has anyone used a Taiwanese Kingston MSD with the Acekard RPG? if so, was it a good experience or a bad one!?

thanks in advance...

2. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    ...sigh.... anyone!?

3. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Through my tests, the AK might lag on any problem games without a japan made microSD card. If that is the case just use the NAND.

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    4GB Kingstons from Taiwan are very good microSDHCs, but the non-SDHC microSDs for Taiwan are still of very low quality.

5. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    hmm, well that's a little disappointing.... you think it will still run "easy' games well?

also, sorry, but what is a "NAND"? I've seen that around a lot, I tried looking it up... all I know is it's on the AcekardRPG. does NAND just mean the AcekardRPG's on-board memory??

thanks a lot guys.....

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It will be fine for the most part. Don't expect "problem games" to work 100%.

7. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Yes, the NAND onboard flash memory

8. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you have the card to see where it says Taiwan on it, why don't you just test it and find out for yourself? That seems to be the only empirical way for knowing with so many conflicting reports on what does and does not work. And like they said, if you bought an RPG then it's not a problem anyway because you can just use the NAND and not worry about it.

9. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    ok cool, thanks guys!

dib - I can't test it cuz I just ordered the Acekard, it won't arrive for a while I"m sure =)

10. dib

United States
    Then you can't be sure it's from Taiwan, so it seems premature to say that it is.

But that's one of the reasons you pay a premium for an RPG, with onboard memory you just don't have to dink with memory cards if you don't want to. I just happened to own a compatible SD card with my cell phone, but I generally don't even use it in my RPG. One gigabyte is more than enough memory for myself.

11. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    oh, then how do I know where it's from? I mean, it says Taiwan right on it... and it says "made in China" on the back of the box.

so what SHOULD I be looking at?

12. dib

United States
    Okay, I'm beginning to see..you have the SD card but not the Acekard. Yeah it's printed on the card, most places don't distinguish between country of origin because this is a phenomenon supposedly affecting only this singular application. Although I remain skeptical because experiences seem to conflict so widely. Well when you do know, you'll have to report whether it works. I think Castlevania is supposed to be a problem game, although it works fine on mine either using SD or NAND.

13. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    You should not worry that much.
    First, you will use the class6 most of the time.
    Second, from my experience, only 5% of the games are problematic.
    Third, just copy problematic games to the NAND.

14. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you mean a 4gb adata then you will find a difference as its alot faster
    If you mean a 8gb adata it should be a class 4 and will run just as 'bad' as the 2gb kingston most likely
    Either way, there will not be many games you would have a problem with and i think that all of them should fit on the nand and run fine so shouldn't be an issue overall.

15. IHN02

Newcomer IHN02 Member

United States
    I have a 1gb Taiwanese Kingston that I use on my R4, it work perfectly. The intros to Castlevanias seem to be the benchmark for SD cards and on mine, they're 100% smooth. Now getting Portrait Of Ruin to not freeze... that's beyond my little SD's ability. [​IMG]

16. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    From what I have read the 2GB Kingston Taiwans are better than the Japanese version in terms of speed and have good quality.

Worst case scenario spend 10 bucks at dealextreme for a Japanese made one.