Hacking Kingston Data Travelers...

xyourmomx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen reports of the Kingston 8gb data traveler working on here and on the wiki, but I can't for the life of me get it to work.

I've gotten the error when trying it in the Wii, I used a wbfs tool to format it and it still gave the -1 error.

I even hot swapped it to trick it, by putting in a 512mb one that it did recognize, then swapping it out with my 8gb kingston and it formatted, installed a game, and played it. When I restarted the Wii and tried usb loader again, it gave the same -1 error.

So if people have gotten it to work... can you help a brother out?

6th_hokage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
same prob here with kingston data trav(mine is 8 GB) still waiting patiently for the update
rolleyes.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
One thing you can try - turn the Wii off, plug your USB storage in, make sure it's powered up, then turn your Wii back on and proceed as usual. That got my Integral 2GB USB working, and some report others suddenly working that way too.

xyourmomx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Done all that. Even powr cycled the Wii itself and put the USB drive in then. It lights up and then doesn't get recognized.

The fact that it can be formatted via hotswapping and can dump a game and run it makes me think it can work... but however the USB loader is coded, it's not recognizing whatever bootsector is in the drive or something? Whatever the 'USB Subsytem' is that is... because I know it CAN work... it just doesn't boot.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try using GParted and setting your partition to UNFORMATTED? That's what worked for me, I split my Kingston 8GB into 2 partitions, loaded my unformatted one in USB Loader, formatted it to WBFS and done.
smile.gif

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, the Kingston DataTraveler 4GB also works. Thanks for the info... I was about to get a 8GB one but, I think I will hold off a bit to see if someone else can get it working fine.

BTW, seems there are two 8GB DataTraveler versions, one that says G2 and a normal version. Maybe one of them could work?

AND... does anyone know if the 16GB one works?

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that the USB loader is out, do I need to waste my time burning discs?

I have the 8GB Kingston Data Traveler but it sounds like it may or may not work with this?

I'm still clueless to what the format the backups need to be for proper use. Certainly not .ISO still? It seems like the files sizes are much smaller?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Before rushing out and buying a new HDD consider this......

Slimmmmmm said:
imho the USB bit in the wiki IS RUBBISH.

TOTALLY, btw.

I think the ONLY way to make it REALLY good, is if you MUST put a link to the actual drive you bought.

HDD, and DVDs are not what they say on the box all the time and the "vague naming" used could describe several drives.

Another reason for the link is that these HDDs are made in batches, and can differ, just like DVDs.

A "western digital 250gb" * etc could be 20 different things.

Even a "western digital passport 250gb" * could actually differ.

imo, people should NEED to put a link to the shop they got it from, or a link to the manufacturers website if the shop is not online, but then add it in comments.

* Made they model names up as examples

Not spam, don't want peeps wasting hard earned cash

nysid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
same thing happend to me, datatravel100 8gb didnt work, i'll already format wbfs in the pc, but still error.
Then i bought datatravel120 16gb, this one work perfectly.

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
nysid said:
same thing happend to me, datatravel100 8gb didnt work, i'll already format wbfs in the pc, but still error.
Then i bought datatravel120 16gb, this one work perfectly.

Thanks for the info.

Seems there are a bunch of datatraveler models for each size. For example, I see in a store here for 8GB:
DTI, DT100, DT101, DTIG2

Hope people can also specify models in the wiki page too.

MertenNor

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Norway
Hi...

1. plug in a usb pen that is working for the USB loader.

2. wate for the loader to ask if you want to format the drive.

3. press A.

4. press B and now you can use your USB device as normal
smile.gif

yes you need to do this every time you want your Kingston Data Traveler to be recognized by the loader...

MertenNor
PS. sorry for my bad english

GrizzlyBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
loesjoel said:
I can't give any troubleshooting suggestions, but I can confirm that my Kingston DataTraveler 1GB works perfectly fine with the USB ISO Loader.
I'm happy to hear it since I have one but why not update this list

xyourmomx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried Gparted, many variations... did a single unformatted partition, fat32 and a unformatted partition, i did it lots of ways and still no go. Only way to get it recognized is the hotswap method. Which is a pain, but it's better than nothing.

I'm guessing an update to the cIOS USB/Loader code will prolly fix a lot of compatiability.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the 8GB DataTraveler Kingston USB Stick and it is working flawlessly inspite some PM I received, I only used the wbfs.exe binary for windows to initialize it and add games, I have tested 2 games so far, and they ran pretty well, I only boughted for this, and I saw there was different kingston 8GB sticks, one has a security thingy, the other was retractable, etc etc........ and mine only said USB 2.0 in the pack and it is the most common model (White with the cover for the USB connector), it cost me like $30 can, but the price doesn't matter hence the other ones were around the same price.

the picture from the official kingston page

eric_4_life

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine sort of works, that is, it loads and plays games fine, it's just that it takes several tries before a game can be installed. I installed Call of duty with the 1.0, but 1.1 keeps crashing when I install Wario Land Shake it!. I can however confirm, that it loads game fine.

xyourmomx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802:

I'm guessing mine must be a different model of the same one you have, the picture is the same, same white cap and all, but it doesn't work. I've even formatted it like crazy and nothing works, so I dunno. I'll just wait til an update comes through, or break down and buy an actual USB HD. Staples and Office Depot both have decent prices right now for being brick & mortar stores. $89.99 for a 640gb Seagate, dunno if it'd work, but you can always return if it doesn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...