Kingston 2gb vs A-DATA 4gb

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by mixinluv2u, Apr 21, 2008.

Apr 21, 2008

Kingston 2gb vs A-DATA 4gb by mixinluv2u at 7:10 PM (1,811 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. mixinluv2u
    OP

Member mixinluv2u GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    which one has better performance with Supercard DS One? The Japanese Kingston 2gb? Or the A-Data Class 6 4gb? How about the Transcend 4gb?

i have been using 2gb cards for a while now and the storage space doesn't really bother me. but the 4gb sdhc cards are getting cheaper and cheaper now, so i want to know if they actually give me better performance overall.

i read some threads where 4gb sdhc cards were giving people trouble when formatting with windows xp, etc. do those incidents occur quite often? anything i can do to avoid that type of situations?

also which sdhc reader is recommended?

2. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I started out with an A-DATA 4GB SDHC card and have since switched to Kingston 2GB microSDs (mostly Japan, but one Taiwan). I wasn't impressed with the battery performance while using an SDHC card. It was fast...for sure...(faster than the Kingston), but for me I would rather have more battery life. I haven't had any stutters with any of my cards.

3. mixinluv2u
    OP

United States
    oh wow SDHC cards drains more battery? i did not know that.

4. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    is there anything concrete to support this?

if so, damn that sucks

5. sk3tch

United States
  6. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    From someone who has both cards too, I say get the AData. My battery life has not been adversely affected enough for me to move back to a card that is slower (Kingston MiJ 2GB). I would only use/recommend the Kingston 2GB for carts that don't support HC. But thats just me.

7. sk3tch

United States
    I think "slower" is a relative term. Here are the results of testing I performed with the latest version of cf_bench and my CycloDS:

Kingston 2GB Japan - 0.646ms RAT
    Kingston 2GB Taiwan - 0.662ms RAT
    A-DATA 4GB Taiwan - 0.394ms RAT

All of the above speeds are more than fast enough to handle "problem" games. Space-wise, 2GB is fine for me. Add the battery life (non-SDHC cards use 6x less) and price ($12 for a Kingston 2GB Japan) and that made up my mind.

It really just boils down to if you require more space than 2GB. If so, then you have to be willing to sacrifice battery life. If that's no big deal, then the A-DATA 4GB microSDHC is a fantastic card.

8. helpme

Member helpme GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i bought a Kingston 2GB Taiwan for my scdsone & it would not play AC:WW or the castlevania intros with out extreme slowdown & even formating it in fat with 64k clusters didnt stop it from stuttering

im now using a Kingston 4GB Japan & it works perfectly with no slowdown in any games
    also i get the same battery time out of my kingston 4gb card than i do from my kingston 1gb

9. doom5

Newcomer doom5 Member

United States
    Isn't the MicroSDHC power consumption issue also more a problem with the Evo than other flash cards? That's the gist I got from reading the official forum.

10. sk3tch

United States
    It's only listing the CycloDS because that is a CycloDS forum. [​IMG] The results would be similar for any card. R4 is listed for comparison purposes, but as we all know, they will not run microSDHC cards and max out at 2GB.

11. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Wait, if the Kingston Taiwan and Japan cards are that similar, then why does the Taiwan one slow down Castlevania's intro and not the Japan one? *is worried because I just spent $15 on a Kingston Taiwan*

12. mixinluv2u
    OP

United States
    can anyone else confirm the whole "SDHC consumes more power" statement? is it even noticeable?

13. doom5

Newcomer doom5 Member

United States
    The Taiwan one won't on many/most flash cards. On certain cards, like the Supercards, you need an extremely fast card to play the intro without lag. For instance, I can use a Taiwan 1GB Kingston card on my Supercard DS ONE and the intro will lag, but if I boot into the DSTT's loader and run the game from it, there's no lag at all.

Not that I use that card anymore though, having a 1GB Japan card and a 4GB SDHC card.

14. sk3tch

United States
    It also very much depends on the individual card. Not all Kingston 2GB cards are identical performance-wise, they just hit a certain range. In general, Japan has yielded much better performance than Taiwan when it comes to Kingston 2GB. But as you can see from my tests, there was very little difference. Maybe I just got a great Kingston 2GB Taiwan? There are a lot of variables and the key is to minimize those by buying smart. I.E. get the A-DATA for guaranteed speed or get a Kingston 2GB Japan for a better chance of top performance.