Hacking Kingston 2 Gb SD Card

willy101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking to purchase a 2GB Micro SD (Kingston), serial number SDC/2GBKR. Is this Japanese or Taiwanese? Basically I want a card that can run Castlevania/other games that prove troublesome on certain cards. Will this do it? How are the SDHC cards? Can they also run Castlevania?
Link to the Item in Question
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Edit: So for those wondering whether the Kingston you want to buy is Japan-made, here's a summary of the thread.

QUOTE said:
i have a kingston japan and mine says SD-C02G on it -jalamene

QUOTEEvery Kingston 2gig I've bought from Newegg has been Japanese cards.....and I've bought a total of 5 at this point.

The one I have in my hand right now is labeled "MBLY/2GBKR" (came with mini and full size translators and a card reader) and the card is Japanese. "MBLY/2GBKR" means Mobility 2GB Kingston Retail.
- rayder

SDC/2GBKR is Japan-made. Hope this helps!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
nope, i have a kingston japan and mine says SD-C02G on it, i think the serial code you have is a tawain one then.

this is the one i have:

sku_1458_1_small.jpg

apart from that one is a 1gb and i have a 2gb.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Japanese ane Taiwanese cards have the same part number (SDC/2GB or SDC/2GBKR, I think the KR stands for Kingston Retail). I ordered one with one of those part numbers (I don't remember which) from newegg.com and it was Japanese (SD-C02G).

I've heard that the 2GB cards are all Japanese now, but that may just be a rumor.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
The Japanese ane Taiwanese cards have the same part number (SDC/2GB or SDC/2GBKR

nope, like i said before mine says SD-C02G on it and it's a kingston, that other code has to be a taiwan, i brought a 2gb micro sd for my friend's little brother and it's the exact same thing a kingston japan with the same serial number, SD-C02G. if someone with a tawain kingson micro sd would say what code they have then we can confirm it.

look this ebay listing, it has the same serial number as TC http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Kingston-2GB-Micro...Q2em118Q2el1247

it has nothing on the bottom though, it doesn't say "japan" on it

http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showpost....amp;postcount=8

willy101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm this seems very confusing.

Are there any sites that I'll be guaranteed to get a card with sufficient read/write speeds? (I'm thinking newegg...) I'm in the USA btw.

Also SilverSpoon mentioned that SDHC cards can run "troubled games" (Castlevania POR) perfectly. Is this true? Do they have r/w on par or better than say a Japan Kingston/Toshiba?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
willy101 said:
Hmm this seems very confusing.

Are there any sites that I'll be guaranteed to get a card with sufficient read/write speeds? (I'm thinking newegg...) I'm in the USA btw.

Also SilverSpoon mentioned that SDHC cards can run "troubled games" (Castlevania POR) perfectly. Is this true? Do they have r/w on par or better than say a Japan Kingston/Toshiba?

according to this post http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showpost....mp;postcount=11 the SDC/2GBKR is actually a japan, :S it just says it on the back of the micro SD.

sorry i can't help you shop wise, i'm from the uk, you can try buy.com though.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every Kingston 2gig I've bought from Newegg has been Japanese cards.....and I've bought a total of 5 at this point.

The one I have in my hand right now is labeled "MBLY/2GBKR" (came with mini and full size translators and a card reader) and the card is Japanese. "MBLY/2GBKR" means Mobility 2GB Kingston Retail.

willy101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay thanks for clearing that up. Can SDHC cards write/read as fast as or faster than a Kingston japan card?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The A-Data 4GB class 6 card is supposedly the fastest card available, with the transfer rate and access time both being better than the Kingston SD-C01G and SD-C02G. Any class 6 microSDHC card should be faster than any microSD card (for transfer rates at least, I don't know about access time).

As for the number confusion, the SD-C0?G cards are all manufactured by Toshiba. SD-C0?G is Toshiba's OEM part number; it is on every version of the Toshiba SD-C0?G cards, regardless of which brand name (Kingston, PNY, a few others I forget) the card is sold under. Unless the card is being sold under the Toshiba brand name, SD-C0?G will generally not be on the packaging or the product description.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Every Kingston 2gig I've bought from Newegg has been Japanese cards.....and I've bought a total of 5 at this point.

I guess you've been lucky. I bought a Kingston 2GB microSD from them and it was Taiwan. That's why I only buy my Kingston 2GB microSD cards from DealExtreme now. $12-$13 and they're authentic guaranteed Japan.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
Rayder said:

I guess you've been lucky. I bought a Kingston 2GB microSD from them and it was Taiwan. That's why I only buy my Kingston 2GB microSD cards from DealExtreme now. $12-$13 and they're authentic guaranteed Japan.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396

Thats funny. I have had the exact opposite experience as you. I ordered my first 2GB Kingston from DX (supposedly guaranteed to be MiJ) and it was MiT. Since that I have purchased 6 or 7 2GB Kingston cards from newegg and all have been MiJ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father